Looking to buy a .45 caliber handgun

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by 06ranger, Feb 15, 2012.

1. 06ranger

06ranger New Member

Im looking to buy a .45 for concealed carry, and home protection purposes. I have always wanted a 1911, however they do have the drawback of limited ammo in the mag. A local gun shop owner showed me a couple different options the other day, but they just didnt peak my interest of carrying, as I do mot like glocks that much and the springfield xd was a little out of my pricerange at 800 so my question to all of you is what would you reccomend for concealed carry in a .45 that possibly carries more than 8 rounds +1 but isnt mostly made of polymer?

2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

First, $800 for an XD or XDm seems a bit excessive. You might wish to look elsewhere.
    I carry a Dan Wesson CCO (7+1 capacity.) Previously, I've carried a 5 shot snubbie & a XD40SC. If you like 1911s and feel you will be comfortable defending yourself with one, I say go for it. Just go in knowing all the variables. Capacity is a wonderful thing, but it ain't the only thing.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

You might could pick one up for $650 or so, that's what I paid for this one yesterday. I say get it, I don't think you will be disappointed in a 1911. Sorry about the back lighting, I thought it would be cool to take the pic with your thread in the background.

It hasn't left my hip except for when I went to bed last night, and school today. I strapped it back on as soon as I got home.

ForumRunner_20120215_150117.jpg

4. fender93

fender93 New Member

A few guys I've talked to are reluctant to carry a 1911 with a round in the chamber because of the exposed hammer. They're worried about accidental discharge. I have no experience with the 1911, though, so I'm just going off what I've been told

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

ParaOrdnance makes some hi capacity 45s- some are double action, some single, They ARE large guns, and concealment takes some work, I carry one of their smaller versions, the C7/45. 7 rounds, double action, not much bigger than my S&W Mdl 36.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

You see mine is cocked. I assure you, it has a round in the chamber. It also has two manual safeties that must be activated for this gun to fire, along with a very good track record of NOT going off when you bend over to tie your shoe.

Does it make me slightly nervous? Maybe just a little. This is my first 1911, so yeah, it's different than I'm used to. My last carry gun was a revolver though, and it had no more safety than a GLOCK, yet I carried it fully loaded all the time.

7. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

glock 30 or 30 sf 9 +1 45acp light and reliable you can get one for under $650 in most gun stores.

8. Matthew161

Matthew161 New Member

I just got a 38 45cal gap and I love it I'm waiting for my ccp to come the ammo is a little more but it's a good gun and I paid 445 for it

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  10. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

The FBI stats on gun fights do not bear out the need for High Cap handguns. I don't know the exact numbers. It seems the average shots fired is around 1 or 2 shots at under 7 yards. Maybe some one can correct my numbers. The FBI HRT Teams carry single stack 1911s.:)

11. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

I have conceal-carried them all from the .22lr, .380, .40. to .45 for 20 years and never encountered a need to draw. I settled on the Phoenix HP22 as my primary CCW. My social circle is only 25 miles diameter and never find reason to enter high crime areas where a higher caliber may be needed. I chose the .22lr after reading the following news report:

http://www.wistv.com/story/15140008/female-motel-clerk-kills-robber

12. losack

losack New Member

One of the most overlooked big bore pistols, Ruger P345. .45 ACP, 8 shot magazine, slim grip and frame easy to carry with a decocker 9 shots. Ruger reliability! Well balanced and I think I paid $ 459.00

Give them a look and a feel!

13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I carried a 22lr for a while but stopped after one incident. Once a month I took a fresh box of ammo (40 grn solids) to the range. I set aside 17 rounds. I then shot the 17 rounds in the pistol and extra mag along with the rest of the new box. On the day I stopped carrying the 22lr, I aimed the pistol and pulled the trigger. Nothing happened. It was a dead round. I have fired many thousands of rounds of 22lr and have had quite a few duds. I have also fired many thousands of center fire pistol ammo and only had 1 dud. I know the odds and I choose to stick with a center fire caliber. At least get a 32 or 380. The mouse guns were not available when I was carrying the 22.

14. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Wait....you got a 1911!??? Way to go trip! What is it?

15. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

That's about right. The 9mm, 40, and 45 is on avg 2-2.5 shots fired to incapacitate a person. Surprisingly from the report I read.....the .22 was under 2 shots

16. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

I would say look at a Para for a 1911 with a high capacity EXCEPT for the fact that it is out of your price range. And if you are looking for a high cap 1911 and also a smaller frame, GOOD LUCK.
    The Glock 36 is small and narrow but is a 6 +1.
    The new XDs is a really nice CCW with a 5 +1 capacity.
    Your basic 1911 is usually 7 or 8 +1.
    Can you tell me why you want a 45?
    I usually carry my XD40 service model at 12 +1 or my SIG P250 sub-compact with a 15 +1 extended magazine. With the new ammo technology these days, the 9mm will do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

Springfield mil spec. I'm loving it and haven't even got to fire it yet.

18. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

The drawback of any hi-cap weapon is it's harder to conceal. I have a couple and will carry them at times but really if the truth was told if I ever need that kind of capacity I have a real big problem on my hands. I mostly carry a Para LTC and an extra mag. And that has never not been enough. I mean, a 1911 with 8+1 and I'm out gunned I must have took a wrong turn and ended up in the middle of a Mexican drug war or something. I'm not a LEO so I don't find myself in situations where I'm going to need a lot of ammo. I do like the higher cap mags weapons for range time though. I'm old, fat, and lazy. But I do like to shoot a lot.:eek:

But there's a reason they make so many different handguns. There's a lot of different people out there.:) I love my Para P16 But I don't carry it a lot because the grip is a lot wider than a single stack 1911. And its harder to hide...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  19. Engine5truck

Engine5truck New Member

G 30 with 10 and 13 round mag. If I conceal carry I take the ten and use 13 as back up and at home visa versa. And those are the same guns below. I like it cause I can have the full size feel in a sub compact

Attached Files:

20. Engine5truck

Engine5truck New Member

I bought mine for 500 brand new. And with the glock public safety discount it was 475 ish