looking to buy a 22 pistol...any recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by tankwilson, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tankwilson

tankwilson New Member

Hey guys and gals. Im starting my homework on buying a 22 pistol. I prefer something with a hammer and da/sa but not a requirement.

My wife has a sr 22. Very nice gun but little small for me. Like the feel of the sig mosquito but I hear they are junk.

So what do I buy?

2. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

I know u said hammer but might i suggest looking at the ruger mk series. I have a couple and they are some of the most reliable rimfire weapons on the market. But if da/sa is a requirement and youd like to save some money u might look into the bersa thunder series

3. karateguy28

karateguy28 New Member

I have a walther p22 that I like. My gf uses it a lot as well. Decent little pistol.

4. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

A smith and wesson 617. 10 rounds and never a jam.

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

If you are going to use iron sights, there are many fine

22 pistols choose from. But if you are going to bolt on a

scope, I would recommend either a Ruger MK III, or 22/45,

depending on your handle angle preference,with the 6-7/8";

bull barrel; or, if you can scratch up the coin, a S&W 41.

With either of these monsters, you can plink out to 80+

yards.

6. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

A DA/SA setup may be harder to come by.

The SIG Mosquito I handled was junk. Unreliable AND inaccurate.

Although it doesn't have a hammer, the S&W M&P22 was a great shooter. Accurate and cycled just fine. I loved it and would consider buying one someday.

The Ruger SR22 also gets rave reviews, is a DA/SA setup, and looks like a keeper to me.

I personally own a Beretta NEOS. It's a single-action striker-fired handgun. Very accurate and reliable for a semi-auto rimfire handgun. Have never had any issues with it but it does seem to like Federal Champion less than my other .22's.

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The Ruger 22/45 is a very accurate pistol. At 25 yards any competent shooter can pick the letters out of a beer can. Lot's of people online claim they can make 100 yard shots with a 22/45. A 22 LR from a 22" barrel drops 6" at 100 yards and the wind really pushes a 22 LR bullet. If they could do that with a 22/45 they would be smashing all olympic records. Don't believe everything you hear online. No one hanging out in an internet forum can out shoot every olympic shooter in the history of modern firearms.

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I have to recommend the Ruger Mark II/III also. If you can find a good used Mark II you've got the best!

9. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I have one DA/SA hammer fired .22. A CZ75 BD w/ the Kadet kit installed, reliable and accurate.

I have a Ruger MK3 as well. Probably the more realistic option.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  10. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

I Likes my Rugers.
    I recommend Rugers to everyone interested in a new firearm.
    The Single Six would be good one to start with.
    My latest handgun, the 22/45
    My latest, the 10/22 Lazer.

11. JW357

JW357 New Member

DA/SA? With a hammer? Clearly you want a revolver.

Someone mentioned the Bersa Thunder series. Let me tell you, I own one and consequently I will never recommend it. We have around 2000-2500 rounds through it and about 500 rounds ago the extractor broke. Yes, its covered under warranty, but it was still annoying.

We've since had it fixed and we still have issues. It doesn't like the three or four different types of ammo we've tried in it so far. The gun gives us a FTE or FTF on about 50% of every magazine.

Seriously, don't buy it. That's my recommendation.

If you want quality and functionality, get a revolver. I've never had a problem with a 22 wheel gun.

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

i agree with JW357. If you want a fun 22 LR get a Ruger 22/45 or mark series pistol. If you want to consider a 22 LR revolver you open the door to dozens of fun guns that range in price from $160 to $600. Everyone one of them is reliable and many of them come with a 22 wmr cylinder. I have a heritage 22 LR SA revolver that has fired an unknown thousands of rounds without a hiccup. The SA makes ammo last a bit longer and it's simplicity keeps it running for a long time.

I also have a colt diamondback that I have owned for 30 years. In thirty years the only things that have happened to it are the forcing cone has worked loose a couple times and the guide rod for the cylinder wore out. I do send it to a gunsmith every couple years for a good cleaning and inspection. By having a competent gunsmith examine the gun every couple years everything stays adjusted properly. Also despite all the use the gun still looks like new. Sadly, it would be an expensive investment to buy a pistol that Colt no longer makes parts for target practice. But it is a testament to how long you can expect to shoot a revolver.

13. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Are u shooting cci minimags in your bersa cause it wont cycle the slower stuff well due to spring weight

14. JW357

JW357 New Member

I haven't tried them yet, in all honesty. They're kinda pricey and to me the whole point of shooting a .22 is cheap target practice with fun.

So if my gun only cycles CCI minimags well and no other ammo, then I'd say its time to get a different gun.

15. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I like Mini Mags too, but yeah, they are a bit pricey.
    CCI Blazers are a cheaper alternative. I've found them to shoot to the same point of aim as Mini Mags (e.g. the same or at least similar power level.) They group nearly as well too. With pre-BS panic supply levels, they were around $20 per brick (retail around here.) They are my preferred ammo, everything I own cycles them reliably and shoots them accurately. IMHO, it's a good balance between price and performance.

I know a guy with one of those Bersa Thunder .22s. He loves it and has never mentioned it being fussy about what it's fed. I'll ask about it next time I see him.

16. JW357

JW357 New Member

I'll look into the CCI Blazers. Thanks for the recommendation.

(To the OP, I still recommend a revolver. You won't have to worry about ammo fussiness with that.)

17. DaughterofAres

DaughterofAres New Member

Absolutely LOVE my .22 Baretta Neos! So does everyone else who gives it a try... especially the ladies. Photo courtesy of google images

18. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Tank,

It certainly not double action but if you like the looks and feel of the 1911s 45s. The Sig 1911 22 cal. Is one fine piece and at a good price of around $340.00. Feels just like a full blown 1911 is well built and very accurate.

Attached Files:

19. DaughterofAres

DaughterofAres New Member

What attracted me to the Neos was the way it felt in my hand. I don't like a hard feeling grip, I like the ones that moulds into your hand/fingers.

20. bbertram

bbertram New Member

If you can find a Beretta 71, I'd highly recommend it. It's not only reliable and easy to hold, but has some history behind it. I love mine, I'm bidding on another ! :)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.