looking to buy a 10-22

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by loctite44144, Sep 10, 2013.

1. loctite44144

loctite44144 New Member

I am looking to buy my first 10-22 use or new. What should I look for it is mainly going to be used for target / planking. Any advice will be helpful
    Thanks guy and gales

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

The best thing about a 10/22 can also be the worst thing...lots of aftermarket parts and options. Many used guns will have had some amateur gunsmithing done to them. That's not always a bad thing as its a very simple platform. What should raise a red flag is "do it yourself" trigger smoothing, receiver drilling, etc. The barrel is another item to take a close look at, 10/22s are inexpensive plinkers and many are treated as such. High round counts in multi-generation hand me downs are not uncommon. If you are planning to customize then none of this really matters, you are just buying the receiver so as long as that is in good shape the rest of the rifle can be a rotted rust heap.

3. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

You can buy a new 10/22 from Academy for just under $200. It's the basic rifle but will come with a scope mount. That's how I did it and I didn't have to worry about the previous owner doing anything to it.

4. hq357

hq357 New Member

I recommend the takedown model i love mine :)

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Stainless is worth the extra money. The stainless 10/22 is virtually a care free gun. Squirt some lubricant in it every 3 or 4 months, YMMV. If you live in an area with high humidity stainless is a much have. In this area it is hard to find a blued 10/22. Even Walmart carries the stainless 10/22.

6. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

Takedowns are nice but there is quite a price difference and you lose a ton of aftermarket support.

If I wanted a backpack rifle in .22 it would be at the top of my list. For general plinking and fooling around, I think the base model is a better buy and much cheaper.

7. hq357

hq357 New Member

All of the aftermarket parts of a regular 10/22 carbine can be used on a 10/22 takedown. Even the stocks it just requires a little modding to fit. the only thing thats diffrent is the lever that allows the barrel to takedown, i payed 367$ for mine :D i knew i was going to own it for the rest of my life so i didn't mind paying a little extra i thought it wasn't going to be as reliable and accurate as the regular carbine because of the barrel but theres a tension nut that clicks down snugly and it always holds zero, and it cycles as reliably an shoots accurately almost exactly the same as my stepdads carbine except hes jealous because mine breaks down and fits in a perfect kit ;)

8. loctite44144

loctite44144 New Member

Thanks all this is what I picked up last night. Now what to do to it any suggestions

Attached Files:

9. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

Crazy advice, take it out and shoot it.

Seriously, mine was great out of the box. I've since put an ATI stock and a cheap red dot on it, and still love it, but you may find you like it as is. Or taking it out and seeing how it performs may give you an idea of where you'd like to make changes.

It's a great platform as-is. I think people modify them just because they can.

I would recommend picking up a couple of Ruger BX-25 magazines.

10. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

my advice shoot it and have fun...:) Cliff

11. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Be careful! For me, the all-black 10/22 carbine got me addicted to semi-auto action and ended up being the 'gateway drug' that got me into an AR 15!

Buyer beware is all I'm sayin'

image-2351445820.jpg

12. loctite44144

loctite44144 New Member

Lol I already an ar15

13. hq357

hq357 New Member

Find you a nice scope for it and have some fun! Ill post a pic of mine it looks exactly the same except my setups a little diffrent

14. Gvillegator

Gvillegator New Member

This is mine simple and sweet. But already looking at more upgrades lol.

image-3093810318.jpg

15. loctite44144

loctite44144 New Member

Well I took it to the rang yesterday and she ran just fine. Now here were it takes a turn got her home and started cleaning well I ended polishing the barrel and the receiver

Attached Files:

16. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Damn,That took some time to polish out.
    It looks really good.

Buy a decent stock for it,and get a good trigger job done,and it should shoot very good too.

17. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If you have a centerfire rifle I would rig the 10/22 in a similar fashion. If you don't have a centerfire rifle I would shoot it now. I wouldn't do anything to the rifle. The idea behind owning a rimfire rifle is cheap practice. Just take small steps in your shooting. I print out targets that have 12 rabbits on a 8.5 x 11 piece of printing paper. I try to shoot the rabbits in the head at 35 to 45 yards. YMMV.

18. Garadex

Garadex New Member

You also accidentally the entire english language. :D

19. loctite44144

loctite44144 New Member

Hay sorry about that

20. hq357

hq357 New Member

Damn thats nice! How did you do that?! Can i do that to my stainless rugger 10/22 takedown?!