Looking to buy 9 Derringer pistols.... for my Groomsmen.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by AreDoubleYou, Jul 1, 2010.

1. AreDoubleYou

AreDoubleYou New Member

Hello everyone,

So, I'm getting married in a few months and really wanted to get my groomsmen gifts that would last a lifetime. I'm leaning towards .32 or so Derringers. We all are gun lovers and really have enjoyed growing up together shooting and such. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could get a good price on these? Cobra models would probably be good enough. I'm not really made of money but really owe it to my guys, as they have been there for me since childhood. I am not a dealer but could easily find one around here (Tucson, AZ) willing to handle the transfer for me.

This really isn't a want ad just looking for some advise....

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Ron W.

2. cmhill

cmhill New Member

im sure if you check around with your local gun stores/pawn shops they might cut you a deal as you are looking at buying more than one at a time. some stores will cut a better price as they might have to order them BUT they know when the order is placed its a garunteed sale. although you may consider just a gift certificate to a local gun store. that way the purchases would be processed in their name. Nothing wrong with buying them and giving them as gifts it is legal but when selling more than one handgun in a certian period of time to one individual the ffl dealer is required to submit a mulitple gun purchase form to the FBI nics center as well as to the local authorities.

3. Fleetman

Fleetman New Member

Cobra derringers may not suitable for your purpose unless they never plan on firing them. Cobra triggers are horrendous. I have the .22 mag version, have fired it a few times and relegated it to the safe as a looker. I'm not bashing Cobra's since I own one but wanted to be honest with you. Since you and your friends are shooters, it would be wise to consider one that can actually be fired comfortably (because of the trigger). Others may have better opinions so you'll have to decide for yourself what is best.

A reputable gun shop would probably give you a very good price if you ordered/purchased all nine at the same time. Hopefully, availability won't be a problem but I would place the order soon. Most gun show dealers only have a few of each model of firearm.

If funds allow, you might want to consider NAA mini-revolvers or if set on derringers, Bond Arms would be my choice. I commend you on your "thank you" for your Groomsmen!

Attached Files:

4. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Now that's being one hell of a friend.

5. freefall

freefall New Member

You're having 9 groomsmen? Good heavens. Elope, save the wedding $ and buy your friends all Kimbers.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would be careful in providing a firearm to someone who may not be able to have one legally. I really do not know my friends backgrounds.

7. AreDoubleYou

AreDoubleYou New Member

Thanks for the input. I have 6 groomsmen, but I want one for myself and probably a couple others for some friends helping out with other parts of the whole thing. Would have eloped already but her family would have me hung till dead.

I'll stop by my preferred shop today and see what they can do for me, specifically Cobra v. Bond Arms.

Thanks for the intel everyone, Ill update on what they say ASAP.

RW

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Remember, "straw purchasing" is a violation of the law.

9. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Understand... that "till dead" really bites.

10. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Dan, this is not a "straw purchase" this is a gift for a wedding party member who is participating in his wedding. Yes he will have to ensure that his groomsman can legally own a firearm, but other than that this is perfectly legal.

11. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

IMHO I would stay away from Cobra derringers. I sold a pair in .22 LR last month and had to send them back because they would not fire properly. I test fired them with various brands of ammunition and these pieces of junk would not set-off anything consistently. We will not order anything from cobra for customers again.

12. Leg_McMuffin

Leg_McMuffin New Member

am i retarded for agreeing with dan? i was positive if you aren't the holder of the firearm, you could only purchase for wife/husband and immediate children.

well, you could just buy them for yourself and then 'give' them to the friends as long as they weren't felons or anything like that. good luck bud.

13. orangello

orangello New Member

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  14. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

This is not a straw purchase. He is purchasing them as a gift. Me I would make up 6 bill of sales and just put on there that I sold them all one for $50....

15. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member