Looking to build my first AR

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by oliver24, Dec 28, 2016.

1. oliver24

oliver24 New Member

Hey guys how's it going!? I'm looking to build my first ar, only somewhat hard thing to get would be the lower because I live in Canada so would almost have to pick one up at a gun store. Anyway the specs I want to go with are to have a 16" barrel and have a budget of around 1700 dollars. Never owned an ar before so any input at all would be spectacular!!! I want to start building asap so as soon as I get some parts I'll be putting pics up!

Thanks!!

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

$1,700 would build a premium, custom AR in the states.

3. youngridge

youngridge Member

I would buy a cheap, but good, one first(700 dollars ish) and see what you like and don't like about it first before you buy premium parts and put them together for your first AR if you can. I'm on the second one I've owned in awhile and that's what I am doing before I build one. I want to know exactly what I want in an AR before I build one and that's why I bought a S&W MP15. Is it exactly what I want? I'm not sure , but that's why bought it to figure out exactly what I like and don't like about it so I can build one exactly how I want it. Along with shooting a lot of my friends ARs.

4. oliver24

oliver24 New Member

In Canada it seems a decent ar starts at around 1500 aha

5. youngridge

youngridge Member

Wow...that's tough...

6. oliver24

oliver24 New Member

I jumped the gun!! Aha I just put in the order for a psa ar15 multi caliber lower and I'll more than likely be buying a mostly or fully complete upper and then tinker for a while until I mix and match the parts until I have a comfortable rifle.

Best thing is it's looking to cost around 1000 dollars for a brand new gun that I'm building rather than 1500 for one i would need to put money into to make it into what I like

7. Shopfox

Shopfox Active Member

The real question is how do you plan to use the rifle. Form follows function. If you like target shooting or running and gunning, that influences barrel length. If you're in Canada and wear winter clothing and light clothing an adjustable stock might be a consideration. Are you wanting a battle rifle, 5.56 chamber. If you expect less shooting and place a premium on accuracy, a .223 Wylde chamber would be the ticket...and on it goes to the trigger, optics, handguard, etc.

They key thing is, "what will be the primary use for the rifle?"

8. oliver24

oliver24 New Member

Hopefully doing competitions at some point, and target shooting I figured a 16 inch barrel and 556 will be the route I'm going to take

9. Roverhound

Roverhound Member

Why wouldn't you just get a .223 Wylde and shoot 5.56 out of it? That's what the Wylde chamber is designed for.

10. Shopfox

Shopfox Active Member

For my last 4 builds, thats what I've done - gone with .223 Wylde.

In theory, the extra leade of the 5.56 chamber should be more forgiving of dirty, corroded, out of spec ammo.That isnt a concern for me, but may be for some. Plus "mil-spec" sounds cool.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  11. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Member

Our Canadian friend, you have made the first step to placing yourself and family on Poverty Row. Once you build an AR you will suddenly realize you could have done it differently and be just a bit nicer, but instead of rebuilding that one perhaps a whole new rifle is in order.
    Never, never have a spare part for an AR because that too will suggest that just a few more parts and you could have another complete rifle. I have been able to resist these temptations and have only 36 AR's in 5.56, 9mm, .22 LR and 300 Blackout. Oh no my buddy just gave me two lowers he has had for some time----and it starts all over again:)

12. Shopfox

Shopfox Active Member

I think a 6.8 SPC and a 6.5 Grendel uppers are missing from your stable... :) and no .50 Beowolf. You uncultured savage...

13. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Member

Shopfox, Dont you dare call me uncultured or savage, I'll have you know I use A-1 sauce while gnawing on the uncooked carcass some hunter left in the woods, and with a napkin around my neck even!
    Actually the calibers listed require more modified parts than i am willing to track down and the cartridges more involved than this old guy wants to deal with at the reloading bench. If twenty years younger I would be able to expand my hunting needs and try a Grindel but certainly not the 50 in an AR platform.
    My shooting now is in plinking ( love unstructured shooting) and hog hunting in Texas where the .223 and especially 300 BO have done excellent jobs, just place shots carefully. My largest hog with a AAC Handi Rifle in 300 Blackout was over 350 pounds, and belive me that is a lot of dead weight for two old guys to drag around if not for my buddies 4x4 and a length rope.

14. oliver24

oliver24 New Member

Aha thanks for the comments fellas I'm having a good laugh!! Anyway I went and bought a palmetto state armoury complete lower with stock and a complete 16" upper with a keymod rail from brownels. Just waiting on the upper to slap these puppies together and away I go!!! Oh and I just bought a brand new sig 226 mk25 navy so you could say I have a lot of fun shooting coming ;)

15. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Member

Oliver, Buy ammo! And mags ! And more ammo! Particularly while ammo is reasonably priced.