looking to build an AR-15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Uptown_General_Roc, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Uptown_General_Roc

Uptown_General_Roc New Member

What website do you guys order your parts at?

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Anyplace that sells em and has parts. No one does right now though. I normally go through spikes tactical though. Or DD

3. Uptown_General_Roc

Uptown_General_Roc New Member

Thanks man bout to check it out now

4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

5. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Personally, I would hold off on an AR build. If you do feel like you need one now, then many places sell them.

Often times just click the ads around the FTF web page, and that'll find you a site.

6. wpage

wpage New Member

There are easier builds out there...

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

What is easier to build than a dang AR?

8. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

A picture frame?

9. MachineHead

MachineHead New Member

Nothing they are like paint by numbers

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

My point exactly

11. wpage

wpage New Member

With 10k posts you tell me;)

The AR platform has lots of options. However for a build I would look at more traditional projects.

12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Uptown,

I would suggest you find a stripped lower ASAP if possible. And to be honest you are a little late at this point. Major parts are almost impossible to get at this point. Most all of the manufacturers are no longer selling parts as. Stripped Lowers, Bolt Carrier Groups, High Capacity Mags due to the fact the demand is so strong for orders for complete rifles that they are demanding all the parts that are being produced.
    However if anyone of the forum knows of anyone who has a complete AR bolt carriers (IN STOCK) please PM me.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  13. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ar's are a traditional build now, then again w my background/profession most builds are easy to me

14. pnolans

pnolans New Member

I'm a big fan of Palmetto State Armory. I just finished one myself.

I was lucky enough to buy the stripped lower in October, and get almost all of the parts before the buying hysteria.

As has already been mentioned, there is an extreme shortage of parts available at this time.

Good luck.... It's a great experience ... or has been for me.

15. G23LCPK45

G23LCPK45 New Member

I just went with Red X arms...clueless as to the quality of the product. $99 for a BCG. It is a shot in the dark if it comes.

16. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Like what? What other build is so easy, that you can do it with no gunsmithing experience at all?

You literally just put it together. It's extremely easy to do, and can take less than an hour.

ARs are traditional firearms at this point. They have been around since the 1950s (AR-10 - 1956, AR-15 - 1957). The design is actually older than the Remington Model 700 (1962). So how is a 54-55 year old design that is now the most popular rifle in America not traditional?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  17. JeeperSC

JeeperSC New Member

I'm in the process of slowly building one too! I bought a stripped lower right before I bought my complete Ar, because I didn't think I would be able to get my hands on a complete Rifle. it seemed impossible and it about was.
    But anyway, I am building a second Ar that's going to be bad@$. My lower build kit should be in today actually. then it's just selecting an upper. And then ill have a second Ar. Lol

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  18. G23LCPK45

G23LCPK45 New Member

I ordered a few things to finish my last build before the insanity...still waiting (nice cheap shinny bull barrel)... No worry, I have all the goodies I want. saw as in a gun shop where 30 round AR mags are going for 50 bucks, that sucks; and a Bushy Carbon with an asking price of $1,200, that is really sad. My BGD is satisfied. Now is the time to start stocking up on 1911's lol!

19. m4master556

m4master556 New Member

20. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

you really should post that in the AR picture thread....... and don't be shy about the closeups