Looking to add .22 lever action

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by northhike, Jan 2, 2011.

1. northhike

northhike New Member

I am considering adding a .22 lever action to my .22 collection. I have looked at the Henry, but it seems really small....like a youth gun. I have not held or seen the Marlin 39a in person, but I am a big Marlin fan. Recommendations on either of these two?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The Henry is a good rifle. The 39A is a GREAT rifle. Honest, machined steel, walnut. My grandchildren are shooting the 39A that my Mom bought my Dad before I was born. Acurate, reliable, solid. Pricy? Yes. Heavy? Uh-huh. Last longer than you will? Yep.

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I have a post war 39A carbine, and a new model 39AS. I think they are the best overall .22's avail.

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

You most likely WERE looking at a Henry youth rifle-
    Take a look at the Golden Boy :cool:
    Winchester 9422 are fine but overpriced IMO
    If you have the funds go Marlin ;)

5. Hawg

Hawg New Member

My Golden Boy if I remember right without getting it out and measuring has a 14 1/4" pull. I had a Marlin 39A and wish I had it back but I wouldn't give up my Henry for it.

6. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

The Henry is a great rifle, as is the Marlin, but also give the Browning lever action rifle a good look. They are very accurate and have about the nicest bluing and wood of any rifle produced.

Any of the three will be an excellent rifle.

If you can get to a gunshop that carries all three, check each out for the way they feel and fit.
    The one that fits the best, you will most likely shoot the best.

John K

7. etaoin

etaoin New Member

Henry GB

After some intense research, I picked up a Henry Golden Boy .22LR this past weekend. I knew that both the Henry and the Marlin 39A have stellar reputations. I had a chance to compare both side-by-side, new. A couple things I didn't like about the Marlin -- the action was rough and the trigger pull was sloppy. Also, this dorky rebounding hammer thing doesn't make any sense and when you pull the trigger, you can feel the rebounding. I didn't like it. The Golden Boy, on the other hand was absolutely beautiful. The action is smooth as butter and the trigger pull was short and crisp. Yes, people will say the 39A is better because the action is all steel, but that doesn't necessarily float my boat. Smoothness, looks and how it came to the shoulder are what drove me -- without a doubt -- to the Henry Golden Boy. YMMV.

8. BlackWidow

BlackWidow New Member

You'll love that Henry. I got the H001T Frontier Model a few years ago. It just feels perfect in my hands and is a great shooter, too.

9. Catfish

Catfish New Member

Don`t know where you seen a Marlin 39 that was rough or a Henery that was smooth. Nothing wrong with a Henery, but the Marlin is a much better gun. I have had guys tell me how good their Henery shoot, but have never seen one out shoot a Marlin, ever.

10. etaoin

etaoin New Member

My hands-on experience with both guns was at the local Gander Mountain and at a local gun show. In all, I handled three Marlin 39A's and three Henry Golden Boys. In all three cases, the guns were new manufacture and in all three cases the Marlin was noticeably rougher cocking than the Henry. And the trigger pull on all three examples was what I described. Hey, that's just three out of thousands, but as I said, YMMV -- Your Mileage May Vary.

Now, I wouldn't doubt that older models of the 39A might be silky smooth, but I didn't see any of those.

11. etaoin

etaoin New Member

My "research" took me to a local Gander Mountain store and a large weekend gun show. Between both venues I handled three new Henry Golden Boys and three new Marlin 39A's. Sure, that's only three samples out of thousands of rifles, but in each case the action when cocking the Henry was noticeably smoother than the Marlin. In each case the trigger on the Henry was noticeably crisper -- almost like a 1911.

Not looking for an argument, and as I said earlier Your Mileage May Vary.

12. SGT_Calle

SGT_Calle New Member

I love my Henry Golden Boy in .22. A lot of fun to shoot.

13. Cnynrat

Cnynrat New Member

I have a newer Marlin 39AS, and I love it. I put on a set of Skinner sights, and it's a really fun gun to shoot. Highly recommended.

14. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

I got the Henry for my wife for Christmas. She wanted something gold. Still in the dog house. My wife has the new Marlin 336 and it is not like the older Marlins. The action was real rough and had to take to Williams Gunsite to have it worked on. The Marlin barrel with the Micro Groove is very accurate but the newer actions on the Marlin suck and not as smooth as the Henry. I will be getting another Henry for myself. Since Marlin was sold it not the same gun I owned 20 years ago. The Marlin 795 auto is a great gun and the upper grade lever actions are ok.

15. rodent.22

rodent.22 New Member

I have a Henry, good little plinker. I'm a big guy, no problems shooting it. The grandson and nephews LOVE it.:D

Attached Files:

16. Missileman

Missileman New Member

I have to agree--I'm a lever action nut, and have numerous Marlins, Winchesters, etc--the Henry .22 has one of the slickest actions off the shelf of any lever action made today. A great bargain!!!

17. LYPNELSON

LYPNELSON New Member

I ALSO HAVE ALWAYS WANTED A LEVER ACTION .22 BUT COULD NEVER FIND ONE AT GOOD DEAL. I FINALLY FOUND A MARLIN 39 & IT SHOOTS REAL GOOD.
    THEN I FOUND A HENRY 001 MODEL & IT WAS REAL SMOOTH OUT OF THE BOX!!:D SO SMOOTH THAT DAUGHTER #2 TOOK IT HOME SO I HAD TO GET ANOTHER HENRY FOR DAUGHTER #3! :cool: MY WIFE & SON LIKE THE MARLIN SO I ENDED UP GETTIN' ANOTHER MODEL 39 SO EVERYONE HAS ONE TO SHOOT 'CEPT ME! SO I FINALLY FOUND A 9422 MAG FOR A GOOD DEAL SO THAT ONE IS MINE:D
    THEY ALL SHOOT GOOD BUT THE HENRY IS THE SMOOTHER ONE OF THE BUNCH. IT JUST DEPENDS ON WHAT YA LIKE!!:cool:

18. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

The Marlin is a full size rifle, get one and don't look back, very accurate for a 22 lever and very nicely made.
    The Henry's are nice rifles, great finish, but the internals are all held by an aluminum piece. They seem to hold up, but I have my doubts if the Henrys will be shooting 50 years from now, the Marlin will.
    You can have the marlins trigger and action worked by a good smith and made much better than it is. The Henry's do have a nice trigger.
    I don't like aluminum when you have something that takes the force to operate such as a lever action. Aluminum may be fine on other guns, but a lever action just makes me wonder how many rounds it will fire before getting sloppy. All the internal parts in the Henry are held by an aluminum box that fits inside of the nice pretty looking action housing. Who knows, it may hold up just fine, but I'm old school, I like steel.

John K

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  19. Hawg

Hawg New Member

I prefer steel too but the Henry is a fine rifle. The Henry's of today will still be going strong in 50+ years. They may not be as pretty as they are now but they will still be shooters. I've said it before but I had a Marlin 39A and I wish I had it back but I wouldn't give up my GB for it.

20. Hawg

Hawg New Member

From that statement methinks you've never seen a Henry shoot or handled a Henry or a new Marlin.