looking for

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by wmille01, Apr 10, 2011.

1. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

I'm looking for a stub nose revolver in 45-70 for concealed and carry any one know where I can get one?

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Why 45-70? Kind of an overpowered round for a snub nose. Why not .357 magnum or .44?

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I agree with Doc, a .357 would be adequate. Add to that you can practice with .38's and it is a winner!!

4. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Thanks dune, I'd think the muzzle rise and recoil from a 45-70 would be a little much to handle in a small platformed snubbie.

5. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Even if you could find a snubbie in .45-70, the gun itself would be so big and heavy it wouldn't be good for concealed carry... Imagine carrying around a .500S&W snubnose, that big of a gun with a cylinder as long as the one on a Taurus Judge:eek:

If you feel you must have something excessively powerful for a carry gun, why not look at a Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Physics, the one course I hated.
    For every action, there is a reaction.
    It takes more energy to get a heavy object in motion than it does for a light object.
    The .357 Magnum is still a round that is compared to when talking stopping power.

7. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qORouZ-qOgg]YouTube - Minion WHAT?![/ame]

8. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Are we serious here? This thread is obviously a joke. C'mon now. . . .:rolleyes:

9. freefall

freefall New Member

Why would anyone want a revolver with a barrel shorter than the cylinder? Look at the Smith .500 &.460 with 2 3/4" barrels. What's the point?

10. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Just get a .460 S&W or .454 Casull,they are both .458 cal like the 45-70,and I believe both guns will also shoot .45 long colt ammo too.

11. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

I am being dead up serious, I need something for taking down a grizz and carrying around town. I know it sounds crazy but like they say go big or go home.

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

What in the name of the Wide World of Sports makes you think a 45-70 with a stubby bbl will take down a griz- and not break your wrist when you shoot it? How about a derringer in .600 Nitro Express? You DO understand what a 45-70 IS- and that it is NOT 45 Colt?

13. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

I think someone makes a Darrenger in that cal.. Bond Arms maybe. Take a bigger man than me to touch it off.

14. freefall

freefall New Member

You have a lot of trouble with grizzlies there in Kentucky? I know lots of people that carry lots of things for bears up here, don't know one that carries a .45/70 revolver. .500 Smiths are becoming popular, but you see a lot for sale "only been fired 6 times".

15. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Maybe it's been a while, you know, 10,000+ years since the last Grizzly sighting in those parts. . . :rolleyes: Plus, I doubt you or most of us here could even put a follow up shot anywhere close to our target after the recoil of that cartridge in a pistol (which probably exists in some weird novelty set-up).

Black Bear would probably be your biggest (in size, not thickness) threat and a heavy .357 is "Going Hard" enough for most of them. C'mon guy. . . abandon ship.

freefall, Only fired 6x .500 S&Ws ! ? ! I'd have me one. If you pick one for a steal I'd gladly trade you for a good piece (revolvers, ARs, AKs, SGs, etc.) I've never came across one for less that a grand here and that includes used items. . .

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  16. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

Go to YouTube. Type in 45-70 revolver. See if you still want one.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

45-70 is a rifle cartridge. Rifle cartridges do not work very well in very short barrels the powder tends to be slow burning so in a short barrel uound up with a huge muzzle flash and very little real power.

Since most of the energy would be wasted I don't think the recoil would be much worse than a 44mag. Pick an actual pistol cartridge. Since your talking handgun something that uses fmj at high velocity to reach the vitals is what you need.

Pistols lack weight of bullet so anythin that expands in a smaller handgun prolly will have a difficult time getting to the goods.

If I had to pick a handgun for bear I would prolly take a ruger blackhawk in 45lc using 300 grn hardcast bullets or a 44 mag using hardcast 300grn bullets. Both loaded at or near max

18. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

ya I know what a 45-70 is and no we don't have grizz here but i'm going to alaska for a few months. I know some of you guys are thinking I'm crazy and have no clue what I'm talking about. but jokes on you I'm just crazy, just thinking I really don't want it in a stub nose.

19. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

20. freefall

freefall New Member

One right now on Alaska's List for $850.