Looking for Womans CCW input

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Mick3411, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Mick3411

Mick3411 New Member

My wife just started carrying a Shield 9mm. She is a small woman who dresses very well - i.e. "dressing around the gun" is a tough sell. She has been trying a belly band and struggling with finding a comfortable way to wear it.

I would love to get a woman's view for on-body carry for someone of slight build

2. btf683

btf683 New Member

My wife is 5'3" 125 and the closest thing to baggy she wears are night gowns... She currently is using a couple different holsters one is the flash bang holster original and the other is I believe they called it the Marilyn ... Google flashbang holsters should come up for you

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

There are a few things I do not purchase for my wife without her being there.
    Shoes, underwear, kitchen tools, and guns.

She has to be with me and she selects what she wants. I just salute smartly, say "Yes Ma'am!", and pay for it.

4. lowceiling5611

lowceiling5611 New Member

My wife is the same way, so I'm curious what other females think as well. She is wanting to get her carry permit, but with our 2 year old, I tell her that carrying off-body would not be a good idea. And so far, she hasn't found a holster that she likes well enough to pursue the permit any further.

5. Mick3411

Mick3411 New Member

I know better than to pick out a gun or holster for her :). She picked out the Shield after she shot a variety of revolvers and semi autos and shots it very well. But she just needs some help with the carry method. I did note the flash bang holster and the well armed woman site and appreciate any and all ideas.

6. btf683

btf683 New Member

Red jacket down in LA had a garter holster might be an option for a date night carry.... My wife has looked at many different options eBay became a friend selling holsters that didn't work how she wanted them to

7. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

You always knew she took you with her for a reason :)

To the OP:
    Drop this into the search box or the URL location bar to search.

concealed weapon carry options for women

There are lots of options but none will likely give you the specific answer you and your better half are looking for. This is and will continue to be a trial and error process for a while.

The gun is a great choice for a lady concealed carry. Any holster will add a bit of thickness - some more than others.

Dress code - hers specifically - will be the biggest factor as to which will work best. There are so many ways women can dress nice and be so very different than the next.

It would be reasonable to find that more than 1 option/holster/band will be needed for all possible dressing conditions.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  8. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

9. Mick3411

Mick3411 New Member

I do appreciate all the ideas you all have shared. She is going to look through the websites. I was hoping a few women would offer specifics on how they are carrying

10. pmanton

pmanton Member

My wife bought a purse from the Glock Store that is designed with a pouch for the pistol.

Paul
    Salome, AZ

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

We can't answer the question you are asking definitively. For each and every person that carries a gun it is a trial and error experience. We all have a box full of holsters we don't or seldom use. Your wife is just like anyone else. Either she is willing to put in the effort to learn to carry a gun or she isn't. There is no magic wand. You can't make her want to carry a gun.

I have niece that is much tinier than your wife. I have never seen your wife and I will still bet my niece is smaller. My niece can carry any gun I can carry and still dress like she wants to dress. On the other hand my daughter is average size. She has had every opportunity in the world to learn to carry a gun. She just isn't willing to do the work. She is happy with a shotgun by the bed. All i can do is support the decisions she makes.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  12. DoubleR

DoubleR New Member Supporter

I like my smart carry. http://smartcarry.com Easily concealed for practically any size person. I wear it when I am wearing tighter ladies shirts, sweatpants, work out clothes etc. You can do anything in it and the gun stays secure.
    Day to day wear for me is the Ava holster. http://www.gungoddess.com/ava-inside-the-waistband-holster/
    My smart carry came from the NRA store and really like wearing it for deep concealment.

13. Mick3411

Mick3411 New Member

DoubleR, thank you so much. This is the type of input I was hoping to get.

14. DoubleR

DoubleR New Member Supporter

No problem :) I'm not the daintiest of ladies (not talking weight) but I have let some dainty ones try my holsters.
    I bought my smart carry from the NRA store for cheeper than other places. Did a lot of research comparing the differences between the smart carry and thunder ware etc. (same concept)
    I have used it quite a bit. I've ridden horses, gathered and wrestled cows in it (after an injured hip from a accident when I landed on my IWB holstered weapon) and gone out to dinner with my husband in it ;) It's served many a uses :D
    I have the flashbang (bra carry) and other than a good laugh I hate it. I also have The Betty and it is not even remotely a secure holster in my opinion (at least the one I have). I won't use it for issues of safety. I'm a firm believer in a secure holster.
    Maybe she's be more comfortable with ankle carry? I don't care for it because of the time it takes to draw along with needing to either bring my leg up (not as easy these days ;) ) or crouch down (downs not as hard as getting back up ;) ). But maybe it's a possibility at least until she's more comfortable with carrying?
    Just thoughts. :) Hope this helps a little.

15. shadamai

shadamai New Member

I am on the slender side also and I like to carry in waistband, front left (holstered). When I bought my carry gun, one of the ladies that works at my local gun store helped me look through holsters until I found one I liked. I ended up with something very simple and comfortable. Everyone is different; it would be ideal if your wife could go somewhere that would allow her to try different types until she finds something she is comfortable with.