Looking for Whippet info

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by tractor_guy, Oct 25, 2020.

1. tractor_guy

tractor_guy New Member

I have my father-in-laws old slide action Whippet .22 by H. S. B. & co. It shows some wear in the hammer were the plunger goes as well as to the tip of the plunger. This causes the plunger to pop out of th hole and jam up the works. The gun also occasionally fails to lock in th cocked position. I am unsure if this is a hammer or trigger or both wear condition. My research so far says that this thing should be very similar to a savage 29 or stevens 75??? Anyone have any ideas on where I might find part or info on this thing?

Thanks

Joe

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

See if yours looks like the rifle in the video. Whippet WAS a rebranded Savage 29, sold under the "store brand" of HSB. Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett and Company of Chicago. Whippet was a Trade Name placed on firearms furnished by H&D Folsom.

Savage acquired the Stevens brand, along with Springfield, and often produced the same gun under different brands, different model numbers (Remember Oldsmobile and Chevy?

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

4. glockman55

glockman55 Well-Known Member

I have a Whippet Model C.. similar issues.. I'll start my own Post