Looking for suggestions....

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by wjmac, Feb 19, 2013.

1. wjmac

wjmac New Member

I've done a lot of research for my first weapon and purchased a G22 gen 4. Still a little large for concealment, despite trying different holsters.

So to help narrow some, I want:

- 40 S&W
    - compact
    - safety

Availability in my area is like most others, slim. So I would appreciate many suggestions. Thanks - mac

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Why the safety requirement now?
    Why not a glock 27?

3. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

Or if you want smaller,why stay with the large 40 cal requirement? Go with a Ruger LCP

4. wjmac

wjmac New Member

As a relatively novice owner, the thought of keeping one in the pipe unnerves me. As far as caliber, I prefer to keep things simple, one box, one caliber.

5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Then you need to spend a bit more time underdtanding how different trigger systems work pick one and get over the unchambered part. Unchamberd , a handgun makes for a expensive rock. You use a good quality holser and handguns do not fire on there own.

How much handgun experience do you have. How do you plan on CC'n. Coat on everday?? Jeans and t shirt way from work? The m&p compact is a great line of pistols but thicker than even the glock. If you want something to cover with only one shirt on you may want to look at some compct single stacks and if experence is limited with heavier recoiling handguns the 9MM might be a smart choice in a light weight handgun. Less snap than a 40sw. The m*p* c is shorter of grip than other glocks and close over all to a glock 26/27 but also a bit wider. Keeping your trigger finger away from the trigger and modern handguns don't go wild on ya.

6. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

All of the above, but if a safety is a deal-killer, how about an XD with a grip safety?

7. BigRedUSMC

BigRedUSMC New Member

Try looking into a Glock 23. 13+1 in .40s&w and is a sweet shooter. Use mine for my concealed carry and home defense plus Glocks will work under the most unbearable conditions

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Ruger SR40c fills your requirements.

9. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

I understand your train of thought with the Glock and one in the pipe. It's a concern many Glock owners have early on in their relationship with the gun and CC. It's something many people never get over. At the end of the day, it's not what I think or what he thinks or what she thinks or what the consensus on this forum is, it's what you feel. While the old saying, "practice makes perfect" fits here, as carrying it will begin to sooth your nerves, if there is always that doubt then you may at some point stop carrying it out of your own concern. Perhaps carry it around for a while without one in the pipe, accustom yourself to having it on you. See how it changes the way you dress, walk, and act. If you can arrive at a point where you can deal with it, at that point you can convert to carrying it hot. I have a G30 I carried for a few years, I just found it to have to much bulk for me and it printed with almost anything I wore. I ended up buying a Sig P938 which is far easier to conceal for me(I'm 6'2 170 soaking @$$ wet, I don't have much to aid me in concealment) I also get the whole single caliber thing, but at some point you will just realize having more than one caliber is life in firearms. I think I have like 7 different calibers?? (I haven't counted honestly) I like having the SAO that I can carry with one in the pipe and a simple safety mechanism that can be actuated in the process of the draw. I can't really recall looking at any smaller .40 unit, mostly just 9mm and .380 are the ones with the most offerings. Take a look at the Sig, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. :cool:

10. stoneam2006

stoneam2006 New Member

I'm a fan of the Rugers most models have safety as I to am a novice cc I like the safety too. Sr series great and also lc9 bit that's not a 40

11. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Yeah, I second the Ruger SR40C. slim and accurate. Has a mag safety, a trigger safety, a manual safety and a load indicator. What more do you want? Don't say, "I just want a glock" I'll smack you:p

12. Sentry18

Sentry18 New Member

The SR40C is a good gun, no doubt. But take a look at the S&W M&P Shield 40 as well. Crazy slim, very ergonomic, has a manual safety and shoots like a larger heavier gun. Plus the 40's are much easier to find than the 9mm version. The aftermarket for the Shield is growing daily as well with lots of mags, holsters and sight options available.

[​IMG]

13. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

Only problem with that particular handgun is availability. Basically, at the current time, I've seen many people looking for them and very few finding them. That new Springfield XDs is nice to, for about $500.

14. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Stoeger couger, beretta px4 subcompact, cz75 compact, jericho 941 compact or semi compact, ruger sr40c taurus 24/7 compact taurus pt140 all are nice and in different price ranges but generally affordable

15. rsmith309

rsmith309 New Member

I agree with some of the comments but it all comes down to a reliable pistol. You don't need a safety when the times comes a safety will get you hurt

16. ALfiremedic1

ALfiremedic1 New Member

If your trying to stay larger caliber, the Springfield XDS is a good choice, as well as the M&P shield .40.

17. thefarmboy21

thefarmboy21 New Member

I've been looking at the Kahr CM9, but check out the CM40 if you're wanting a .40 cal. They're pocket guns.

18. ALfiremedic1

ALfiremedic1 New Member

I own a CW9 and I wouldn't call it a pocket hubby any stretch. Ya it's small, but has no safety as this guy was asking.

19. thefarmboy21

thefarmboy21 New Member

A CW9 is bigger. A CM9 has a shorter barrel, slide and a shorter grip. All in all it's smaller than my PF9 KelTec, except slightly thicker. But yes, it has no safety that I'm aware of.