Looking for suggestions for semi-auto in .308

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by mox-ct, Dec 18, 2011.

1. mox-ct

mox-ct New Member

Presently I'm considering getting a .308 for hunting and want a semi-auto. I have experience with the BAR in 30.06 but to me it seems too heavy. I'm looking used or new, and want to stay away from the 'assault weapon' type since my state has a ban on those. So far I have looked at the Winchester Model 100 and the Remington 7400 (none in .308). I looked at the Brunelli, but the price is way too high for those.

Other suggestions welcome.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, I HAVE a Model 100 in .308. It has been out of production for a while, and some parts are getting scarce. It is one of the few rifles that you MUST detail strip and clean- if the gas piston rusts in the cylinder you will play hell getting it apart again. I am not recoil sensitive, but the stock on that rifle HURTS.

The BAR (civilian rifle, not the military full auto) is pricy, rifle a touch heavy, made like a Swiss watch.

3. mox-ct

mox-ct New Member

Thanks guys, the Remington 742 (and 740 and 7400) is an interesting option and there seems to be plenty of them in the Auction scene.

Any other suggestions?

4. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I've got a 742 in 30-06 and I have no complaints. That model has a bad reputation for jamming, but I don't know of anyone that actually has one that has ever had a problem. I'm sure some have had problems but again I don't personally know anyone that has. Mine has never jammed and it shoots really well. Recoil is very light and it doesn't even have a recoil pad (it never needed one). The five or six people that I know personally that have one give theirs similar reviews.

5. BodySnatcher

BodySnatcher New Member

FNAR 20" heavy for all your .308 semi-auto needs in a "non-battle" look. FN also claims a BAR heritage for the design.

6. mox-ct

mox-ct New Member

Thanks, I'll look them over also.

7. mox-ct

mox-ct New Member

I ended up getting a Winchester Model 100. Apparently Winchester has a recall on the firing pin. I managed to get a firing pin replacement and gift card from Win Recall people. I also bought a new bolt gas tube, extractor and pins for he bolt too. Replaced everything and it seems to be working fine. The old bolt was damaging the brass, the new bolt is not damaging the brass. The used 10 round magazine I picked up on GunBroker works fine too. Its a Colyer Clip.

8. heavyliftn

heavyliftn New Member

I have a FNAR. 308 heavy barrel with bipod and 4-16x44 sight mark scope. Love the gun. Shoots well and comes with interchangeable cheek plate and butt stock. Can convert trigger from 5 lb to 3lb pull and wow what a difference. Also not a bad weight even with accessories and full 20 round clip

9. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

If you are not dead set on 308, an M1 Garand is a great option, if you are dead set on it, then Garands can be rebarreled for 308. If the weight is an issue... There are synthetic stocks available for Garands. Lord, please forgive me for using "synthetic" and "Garand" in the same sentence. :)

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Check to see if the FN-AR is legal in your state.

Looks and feels a lot like the Browning, but lighter IIRC.

11. ford1911

ford1911 New Member

Stag arms has said recently that they have a 308 in the works. That is the one I am waiting on. If you would like to inquire about the release date visit stagarms.com

12. Guzzinut

Guzzinut New Member

I have a Springfield Armoury M1A1 SOCOM that pretty much does everything I need/want. its built like a tank and very accurate. price isn't too bad either. Consider checking them out....don't think you will be disappointed. I also have the full sized version M1A1 match....
    parts are very readily available...you can dress it out to your hearts content with whatever accessory you want and above all...its deal reliable in all weather conditions.

13. bman940

bman940 Member

Have you considered a BLR .308? I have one that my father in law found at a garge sale, paid $300, things was still wrapped in grease covered paper. Shoot's sub MOA which is 3 times better then any BAR I have ever owned.

14. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Check post #8. I believe the OP has already purchased the rifle.

15. Johnny357

Johnny357 New Member

Super Vepr in .308

Super Vepr in .308:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Classic Arms has them for $1100, and one other place (Atlantic?). All that pretty wood makes them look more like an M1A than an AK. Supposedly they shoot very well, I have never handled one myself (but would very much like to).

Edit - whoops, post wasted, I guess he already picked one.