Looking for some rifle advice

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by MrsSwaff, Feb 22, 2012.

1. MrsSwaff

MrsSwaff New Member

Ok, so, my hubby just got an AR, and he wants me to get one too. I've shot a few of them, and think that they're great guns. He wants me to get one because he says it's a good gun for survival, and hunting, which is fine, but I know a lot of people who have them, and he's getting one. Sooo, I want something different, something light enough for me to carry around, hunt with (I haven't actually gone hunting, but I would like to at least once), just an all around good rifle. Doesn't have to be fancy or all tactical, I'm more intrested in practicality, where as my husband is a touch more concered about aesthetics (in my opinion). So, instead of an AR, what would you guys suggest, and why? Btw, I may be a small girl, but I've shot a 12ga remington, which my friends said had more kick than any other 12ga they've shot, and I managed ok. So I don't mind recoil, as long as it isn't too crazy, I want to be able to shoot for awile without my arm falling off! Lol. To be honest, I was kinda thinking about a mosin nagant, I like the sounds of them, and I like the history. But I also like to research thoroughly before I make any kind of decision. And I know next to nothing about rifles.

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

If you want fairly cheap and wont kill you to shoot/carry/feed the get a marlin x series youth. The come in 243, 308, and 7mm08 which are all good huntin rounds. They arent the prettiest rifles but they are very accurate

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

3. MrsSwaff

MrsSwaff New Member

Thanks! I'll take a look at those. I've heard of them, but for some reason I was thinking that they were more like the ruger 10/22 :/ shows what I know.

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Nope they arent. And hey just ask winds of change....guns are a long term study. She was kinda in the same boat you are

5. MrsSwaff

MrsSwaff New Member

Lol, I've got most if the handgun calibers down, but then with rifles, it gets so hard to remember them all.

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Yes it does....iv been shooting for 18 years give or take and its still that way to me occassionally

7. MrsSwaff

MrsSwaff New Member

Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it. I just didn't think it was very practical to have a bunch of the same gun. Variety is the spice of life :)

8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Your welcome and ya it is. I have more guns now than ill ever use and addin more;)

9. MrsSwaff

MrsSwaff New Member

Lol, I keep getting ahead of myself, "I want that one, and that one, and that one". But I still need to find a new job to afford them all!

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Being a gunsmith w a mentor/partner who let me work on a gun i liked then gave said gun to me is how i got most of mine

11. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Consider a lever action. There are many calibers to choose from, with 30-30 being pretty common and a popular hunting round.

The lever action stands out...not a slow bolt gun...not a fast semi-auto...but something in between and likely more accurate than many ARs for the same price. You can go with or without a scope. I like the Browning Lever Actions, but you can get a lever gun for less, but IMO, none better looking than the Browning. I would avoid the exotic historical rounds as they are hard to find.

The Browning BLR Lightweight Breakdown is sweet and you can get them in a wide range of calibers...maybe go with something that matches up to your husbands gun so you can limit the ammo you need to buy and shoot his. The detachable box magazine is a great feature of this gun.

[​IMG]

The Winchester Model 1894 Sporter is another nice lever gun, but the available calibers is limited. IMHO, the tube magazine is inconvenient, but the the format is common on lever guns, so somebody must like them.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  12. TGReaper

TGReaper New Member

It will do anything hubby's AR will do only better:Ruger Scout (export Mod.)
    .308 Win.

[​IMG]

TGR

13. MrsSwaff

MrsSwaff New Member

Thanks guys, sounds like I have some more homework to do, lol. Tgreaper, that ruger is beautiful! Ruger was my grandfathers favorite guns, so I'll definately be checking that out. Thanks again for all the help!

14. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

A lever action is good for light quick handling hunting rifle. I like a 30-30 cartridge in a lever action the best.

There are bolt action rifles that are light and very accurate. A bolt action is one of the easiest rifles to maintain. I'd go with a .308 cartridge in a bolt gun.

Most of the old military rifles are heavy, I've never held a Mosin but I would think it is pretty heavy.

15. tCan

tCan Active Member

I agree. I can personally recommend a Marlin 336. I would get a 20" barrel version. Extremely handy rifles in that length. It is not a light gun to carry, but not too heavy, and is very solid and rugged. It'll last longer than you will if you keep it maintained. This will give you guys more options. The bullet that the AR fires is well adapt for varmint hunting. Dog and cat species and such. The .30-30 that the 336 fires is your major caliber and will handle all your larger stuff. Maybe not the best expedition hunting round, but it is the most popular round for deer hunting in North America, which is probably what you'll be doing. For hogs, either gun will do. .30-30 is a bit more punch than you need for hogs and .223/5.56 from the AR is a little on the light side.

Pick up a little .22 for plinking and small game hunting. It gets your squirrels, rabbits, birds, etc. .22LR can also easily take coyote with a good shot.

A little more on the Marlin 366. To me, this gun was designed from the ground up to be a deer rifle. Like I said, it's a very solid gun, and does well in the field as a result. It's not too heavy to carry for a few miles getting to your hunting stand/blind and/or for stalking. The 20" length will keep the barrel at or below the top of your head, making it easier to move through wooded areas when it's slung over your shoulder. I can't say enough about this rifle. It is by far my favorite gun in the family.

The mosin is just short of 9 pounds, which is not terribly heavy. Remember you're not typically going to be running an optic on a mosin, which saves weight. Now that said, old military rifles have their idiosyncraticies. Most mosins must be shot with the bayonet on for best accuracy, as that's how they were sighted in. Even then, they're sighted for 300 meters, so you'll need a hold under for most realistic shooting distances. It's something you may not want to deal with for a first gun. But they are great guns.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  16. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

You might consider a Ruger m77 in 270 winchester. Personally I think the 270 Winchester is a excellent all around hunting caliber. 130 grain bullet at 3100 fps is pretty impressive.

17. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya its a good gun and caliber. But that rifle is about $700 brand new at walmart and bout $900 at bass pro. Find a dealer that can orser one and the marlin x7l 270 is about $400 then the $200 transfer fee. Unless you can find an LGS that already deals in the marlins and has one in stock. Same price for the youth marlins in 243, 308, 7 mm-08

18. tCan

tCan Active Member

There's nothing more practical than a single shot handi rifle.

19. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Very true except the ones iv handled that where worth the money were some heavy little suckers.

20. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

The new Ruger American rifle in 270 looks like a pretty good rifle especially with that rotary magazine. they are on sale now for a little over 300 dollars. Get a good bolt action rifle your husband will be jealous of the accuracy you attain with it and he will ditch his AR:D