Looking for some perspective on this CCW/CWL/CWP/etc. philosophy..

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Krahis, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Krahis

Krahis New Member

I'm a member of another forum on which a discussion regarding concealed carry began. At one point, a member said the following in response to why he doesn't carry with a round chambered:

I don't want to say anything of my opinion, but I'd like to hear the opinions out there from you guys.

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

This person is a wannabe LEO - not the reason at all to carry and incredibly stupid IMHO. I expect this person also bought a CCW "badge" to legitimize their "official" status. Having a permit to carry a gun is for one thing and one thing only - to protect you and yours - not to fight crime.

If you have a desire to fight crime - become an LEO. This type of person is potentially more dangerous than a criminal as they will try to insert themselves in a situation without the training and experience necessary to be of any use at all...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010

3. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Carrying a weapon not chambered is carrying an unloaded weapon. An unloaded weapon is no more than an expensive club. These are the type that will all too many timeswill have their weapon used against them or just escalate a situation where they are killed because now someone has a gun on the gunman. If you are not prepared to use your weapon then you have no business with one on your person. Many times these are the people with the newest wizbanger they read about on some gun rag. They actually believe from all the movies they have watched that you have time to chamber a round and pull the hammer back in some dramatic manner to make the would be killer drop his weapon and they get to kiss the pretty girl.

Ask those that have had to use a weapon against another person just how fast everything happens. That dramatic stuff is great for Hollywierd but in the real world that will get you or God forbid some other innocent person killed.

4. Krahis

Krahis New Member

Thanks for the responses. I just really needed to feel grounded. I had responded with essentially what NGIB illustrated to which he responded:

It's just incredibly frustrating reading someone with this kind of idea in his head and I wanted to hear those of you with some experience disagree with him so I can sleep tonight, knowing that most of the people who carry aren't this crazy. :)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  5. ChuckD

ChuckD New Member

I thnk NGIB put it best. I recent took my CCH test and plan on finishing the paper work next week. I thought long and hard about it and it boiled down to this. I want everything in my power to protect my wife and two little girls God forbid something happened. Carrying a weapon is great responsibiltiy and cannot be taken lightly.

The guy you described sounds scary and could get someone hurt :(

Chuck D

6. opaww

opaww New Member

What NGIB said.

I carry for personal protect and the protection of family first. Having a CCWP does not grant me a right to enforce laws. But it does allow me to use said weapon in defense of life and property. That defense of life can include potential threats anywhere, and anyone.

This persons reasoning is dangerous to the safety and security of every gun owner in America.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

A good friend was a LEO, now medically retired. One day on foot patrol, at about 3 in the afternoon, he was responding to a "trouble unknown". As he turned the corner, he was hit with a metal pole wielded by what we agreed had to be a crazy man. First hit broke his left collarbone. BTW, if you have never had a broken collarbone, the arm on that side is now useless. Goblin was still whaling away with the pole, so he center punched him twice at powder burn distance. Sitting with him in the ER, while he was still in shock, he looked at me and said "I figured I'd better shoot him while I could still draw."

Now, anybody want to try to draw and chamber and fire under those circumstances? Be sure to let me know how that works for you.

Things happen MUCH faster than you think. And as the man said, this ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok.

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

As always, C3 is right on the mark. The main problem with trying to be a crime fighter is figuring out when a crime is happening. Here's an example:

You walk out of Burger King after lunch and there is a scruffy looking guy grabbing a well dressed woman. Is the woman being attacked? Do you draw your gun to protect her and stop the apparent assault?

While it could be a scruffy looking bad guy assaulting a woman, it could also be a plain clothes LEO trying to arrest a well dressed female criminal. Just food for thought...

9. Freedom-1911

Freedom-1911 New Member

This person has a skewed view of the purpose behind CCW.
    If he ever does what he says he carries for, he stands a good chance of finding himself in jail.

10. steve666

steve666 New Member

I cannot, and will not, speak regarding other places. However in Indiana if I, as an individual licensed by the State, shoot someone it has to be because I was in fear of death or serious bodily injury to myself or another. Any other reason, including stopping a crime, is going to land me in jail.

11. opaww

opaww New Member

I don't know how others really feel but as one who has used firearms in war and actually have killed with them I rue the day I have to do so in civilian life, but won't hesitate to do so if needed.

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Somebody THAT stupid deserves to be ignored. One word sums him up DOUCHE!

13. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I sure wish you'd be clearer and more concise with your opinions...:D

14. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

That's why I carry a full size steel .45.

Because stupid, crazy, ignorant and obnoxious people you can always pistol whip with a round chambered, without fear of a discharge....then you can quickly shoot them, if needed. :rolleyes:

Jack

15. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

Ah yes, the origional multi-tool.

What NGIB said,actually the one response from this person gave me the impression the he/she is very young, probably not old enough to vote, let alone carry. In any case there is a lot of growing up to do there.

16. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

this is definitely the quote i second on this one...

i mean i agree with the rest of whats been said as well, but Robo's last word pretty much sums up this guy to a tee.

17. Pat-inCO

Pat-inCO New Member

I think you really need to review ALL of the material presented in your CCW class. Many(?) discussions on forums are precipitated by those whose only purpose is to create turmoil. The initial comment that was asked about seems to fit within that area.

Which mode you carry in (1 or 3 - 2 is totally unsafe to attain) is personal choice. As long as you have a loaded gun, you have a choice. Far too many people wander into the realm of excess testosterone when they claim that only mode 1 is safe. I prefer to let them rant and try to ignore them. Mode is a PERSONAL choice. Think about how long it has been since you needed your gun to defend yourself. I have been shooting for over sixty years and I have not needed it - yet (I hope it stays that way, but I still carry). From my perspective and using the percentages I've experienced . . . . . .

I have been teaching the material for CCW for twelve years now as an NRA instructor. I subscribe to "the ONLY reason to draw or expose your weapon is if you or a family member is in direct danger of serious harm or death". In my opinion, anything else will put you in legal jeopardy. - - You do what ever you like, just don't whine if you get your 'whatever' caught in a ringer because you exhibited too much testosterone.

One last thought; Just because something is not illegal, doesn't make it a good idea. For example, it is not illegal to step out in front of an oncoming train. That does NOT make it a good idea. :rolleyes:

18. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I don't know if y'all heard the recent story from Gresham, OR:

Gresham man arrested after allegedly shooting at phone thieves

The man, a CHL holder, went after some grab-it-and-flee store thieves he witnessed in the store he was shopping at. He kneeled down and shot at their car tires as they drove away. Obviously, he was arrested when the cops arrived.

We don't carry to be a civic protector. I am going to protect me and mine. The more of us there are, the more protected is society, as a whole, one family at a time.

19. hnealg

hnealg New Member

Fools with guns

I work in a mall and have study the "active shooter" reports. It would be extraordinarily remarkable to find yourself close enough or getting close enough to take action before you yourself get shot. The active shooter usually wields a long gun (or more). A mininumly trained civilian with a concealable handgun (with limited ammunition) taking on a maniac with a rifle and a lot of ammo is the thing of dreams--and not reality.

At Trolley Square, a trained off-duty police officer was only able to disrupt the shooter and keep him busy until backup arrived.

Also, stopping a crime in progress is a legally "touchy" process. Determining who is the "bad guy" and who is the "good guy" is sometimes tricky, especially if involves an undercover LEO or a fellow citizen defending himself. Shooting the wrong person is never, ever a good thing

I can only attribute this to that burst of well-meaning enthusiasm that frequently affects new CCW holders (read "super-hero" fantasies). Hopefully this individual will ultimately realize that self-defense or defense of "loved ones" is the only real reason to carry.

20. orangello

orangello New Member

That story popped immediately to mind when i read this thread's first post. I don't carry currently, but there are paid professionals who are trained to handle MOST of the situations that will require the use of a firearm; if i did carry, it would be for that situation in which I or someone directly with me was in fear of getting killed, not theft prevention at the mall.