Looking for some info????

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by rlowe357, Aug 22, 2008.

1. rlowe357

rlowe357 New Member

Does anyone have any information on an Austrian made Tyrol Mod 5061 rifle in a 9mm cal. I bought one at a sheriffs auction thinking it would shoot a 9mm luger round but after getting it home and checking it out better that is not the round that it shoots. I would appreciate any help that I can get. Thanks, Rlowe357:confused:

I have no experience or knowledge at all about that weapon, but there are only a few different 9mm rifle rounds that I can think of- 9x57mm Mauser, and 9x39mm. And there is the 9.3x62mm that I didnt know existed until I searched around a little.

3. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Do or have done a chamber cast. That's the only way you will know for sure.

A guess----does it look like a chamber for a pistol round? Could be 9mm Flobert.
    "Parlor shooting" using low powered ammunition was popular in Europe, and the Flobert
    round was common.
  4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

If you have some sort of chamber gauge, you might be able to spec out the dimensions and work backward into the cartridge - but a chamber cast like BillM mentioned really would be your best option.

If you are really lucky, you might be able to find a local pistol 'smith who can tell you from experience, but that would really be a shot in the dark to be honest. You would have to find someone that had been in business a LONG time working on European type weapons.

I am afraid that is a whole realm that I don't know a hell of a lot about, so I won't be of much help on this one I am afraid.

Good luck!

5. rlowe357

rlowe357 New Member

Hey, thanks for the replys. After i tried to place the 9mm luger round in it and found that it wouldn,t fit I started looking thru some books and found that there are several 9mm rounds that I had never heard of. I have asked several people that i know and so far the gun is a mystery to them also. I have a freind that does a lot of reloading and I'll ask him if he can do a chamber cast on it for me. Thanks again for the help, my dad always said "you'll never know if you don't ask":) R.Lowe357