Looking for semi-auto shotgun for hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by 2ndAmendmentFreedom, Mar 25, 2013.

1. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a Remington, Benelli or Browning semi automatic 12GA shotgun. It will be used for deer hunting and perhaps skeet/clay shooting etc down the road, here are my requirements:
    -screw in choke system
    -wood stock
    -known for its reliability and simple cycle design
    -under $1600

I am seriously looking at the Browning A5 but not sure about which barrel length would suit me best, 26" vs 30". Right now I have a Remington 870 Express Tactical and it would probably get the job done but I don't want to look like a tactical commando taking out deers, and I always wanted a nice wood stock shotgun anyway.

Thanks for your suggestions!

2. outdooraddict

outdooraddict New Member

Get a remington 1100

3. indy36

indy36 New Member

I just bought a used Beretta A390-ST. Was $650. Three screw in chokes. Wood furniture. Vented rib. Even has some scrollwork. I plan to shoot skeet with it.

image-1729168819.jpg

image-2220013753.jpg

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Benelli Montefeltro would meet those criteria.

26 inch barrel is all you need.

5. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

yeah that's exactly the series I was looking at for Benelli.

So basically this is turning into a Montefeltro vs 1100 vs Browning A5 thread lol.

How greatly would I benefit from a 30" if I was shooting birds?

I'm pretty much looking for a good, fancy all around shotgun, doesn't have to be the best at one thing or another.

Also if going with the A5, would it be worth it to get it chambered in (up to) 3 1/2" ?

If I'm not mistaken, the Montefeltro and A5 are recoil operated, while the 1100 is gas operated. Since I want to keep maintenance at a minimum, would you agree that maybe the Benelli or Browning would be a better choice?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

All three of the shotguns you mention would be an excellent choice, and you have to make it.

My Monty is a 20 ga., excellent gun, points great, functions great.

The new A5 is intriguing and I have high regard for Browning products.

But, for a shotgun to shoot 3.5 inch ammo., the only option for me is a super black eagle 2.

Off the subject, but I will give up hunting before I shoot 3.5's in another pump gun.

7. akers06

akers06 New Member

Also check out the Browning silver

8. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

In terms of simplicity of the design, both the A5 and Montefeltro are recoil operated, anyone knows which one has an edge over the other?

As far as the 1100 is concerned, how reliable is its gas system?

9. PGM

PGM New Member

I have a 1187 with cantilever barrel 2-7 leopold. And 28" vent rib barrel is good for skeet .It wastes a lot of venison during deer season(slugs in commie illinois) I have never had a problem with it.

10. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

Just found a brand new Montefeltro 28" 12GA for $975 shipped, i made up my mind :)

11. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Excellent choice.

12. jeepboy4life

jeepboy4life New Member

I second the vote for the Remington 1100, I own two of them, 12 ga. That I pretty much hunt everything under the sun with and a 20 ga LT mag that is setup with a rifled barrel and 1.5-4 Bushnell banner. They are both sweet shooting guns and with the 20 gauge I will put 3 shots 1/2" at 100 yards. My favorite model firearm ever made!

13. glewis

glewis New Member

You can't go wrong with a Benelli or Beretta.

14. Garadex

Garadex New Member

We're gonna need pictures. :D