Looking for Ruger information

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by ArtN, Sep 5, 2010.

1. ArtN

ArtN New Member

I have a Ruger Mark III Hunter and have questions, I believe Ruger owners can help me with.

I have a question regarding Mark III Hunter, racking. My son cleaned his Mark III Hunter and after reassembling, bolt will not rack, what happens, inserting the magazine, when I racked it, bolt lockes open, did not return, I had to release the bolt with bolt release, only then did it fire, upon racking again, it locks each time.

Upon assemblying, what could my son have done to cause this?

Thanks, I hope I explained the situation.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2010
  2. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

There's probably enough Ruger owners in this forum to start a small army, all you have to do is ask and be polite.

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Ask away man. Tons of ruger owners and lovers on here.

Some consider it a form of bad manners to ask about help in finding other forums other than the one you are on.

4. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

You have questions, the fine people here have answers. Just ask away.

5. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

I've got a Mk III (Well, a Mk 2.5 now) that I know pretty well, but the guy who's been most helpful to me is Stalkingbear. Zap a PM to either of us, we'd be glad to help.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  6. ArtN

ArtN New Member

Mark III Hunter

HI,, Mr. Bluesky, thanks for the response.

I decided to give it another try, got the barrel out, then proceed to field strip, removed the mainspring/bolt assembly and removed the barrel assembly, now trying to re assemble I cannot return the mainspring and bolt pins......frustrated as I never seen this handgun as well as being a newbie......hmmmmmm! My son wants to give me this Mark III hunter as I had show interest in it, but when he cleaned it a day or so ago, (and he has done this before) it seems the barrel spring came apart somehow, (he said he never took the spring out before, but for some reason it popped out and he claims it is back the way it should be......

thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2010
  7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I know nothing about the Mark III but are you racking the slide with an empty magazine installed? Doesn't the slide lock back in a autoloader when the gun is empty?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  8. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

Yeah, but he also said that the bolt wouldn't pull back at all, which happens to the Mk III if the hammer is forward when you slide the bolt back in. :confused:

Art, if by "barrel assembly" you mean the receiver (The part that the bolt slides into), Not putting it back on squarely can prevent the mainspring from going back in. Look at the gun from the back and make sure that the receiver isn't twisted with regard to the grip frame. The receiver might also not be all the way on, it can be tough on newer Mk III's. A few hard taps with a plastic hammer can fix that.

If by "barrel assembly" you mean the bolt (Cylindrical metal part about 2-3 inches long with a spring running along the top and a double groove in the bottom, has the cocking serrations near the back), there's a video in the other thread that should be very helpful to you.

To be honest, the best thing you can do right now is sit down with the manual for the gun and strip/reassemble it repeatedly. Following the instructions in there will probably fix your problem, and becoming more familiar with the part names can help us out if you ever run into trouble again.

9. ArtN

ArtN New Member

Mark III hunter

Thank you, Canebrake and Mr. Bluesky, I will continue reading etc. I am such a newbie that I am begining to get frustrated, but I shall over come....

I have fired this pistol and love it but with these problems, assembling/disassembling make me wonder. I also see, if many others have these pistols and love them, so can I......I can, I can, I can....LOL

thanks

10. utf59

utf59 New Member

I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who can help. Personally, I have the 22/45 Mk III, so my pistol isn't exactly the same as yours. My recommendation, though, is to call Ruger.

When I bought my 22/45, I knew that it would break down differently than other pistols I was familiar with, so I asked the guy who was selling me the gun (at a gun store) to break it down for me. He couldn't get it to break down properly. I bought it anyway, figuring if there was something wrong, Ruger would fix it since it was brand new.

I did get it apart, but when I put it back together, I apparently pulled the trigger at the wrong time or something. I called Ruger. I had to call back at a time when the right person was in (later that afternoon). He talked me through disassembling and then reassembling the gun, and it worked perfectly.

If you do call, be ready with a rubber mallet (I didn't need it, but you never know) and some kind of padded, but still firm surface. I used a legal pad on top of a hard surface, but a gun cleaning mat or mouse pad will work nicely also.

Good luck, and just keep reminding yourself how much fun it is to shoot that gun! :D

11. ArtN

ArtN New Member

Mark III hunter

Thank you very much for the uplift. Utf, I am frustrated, and your suggestion sounds like something that may pull me through all this, I do love firing the gun and it is very acturate.

Thanks again,

12. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Folks complain about Ruger Mk's all the time. What's required is patience and following procedures to the letter. I also have a Mk III Hunter and to make things a tad less complicated, I disabled the mag disconnect. Here's a link to a site with LOTS of great info about Ruger .22 pistols...

Mark III Fieldstripping Procedures

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  13. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

When putting the receiver back on the frame it has to be square and all the way back. The hammer needs to be in the down (fully cocked position. I went through all this replacing a barrel on my Ruger not long ago. Once you've done it once it's pie afterward. :)

Here's a manual if you don't have one already.

14. BunnyWabbit

BunnyWabbit New Member

That gun is a pain to take apart and get reassembled correctly. If I remember correctly, the instructions are in the manual that came with the gun, with pictures so you get it right. If you can't find that, I would suggest looking at the Ruger site and see if you can download the manual or email them and they should send it to you. They have great customer service. And if all else fails, check YouTube.

It's hard to explain without pictures on how to reassemble that gun. I have the competition version with the slab sides, but it and the Hunter model are identical.

15. ArtN

ArtN New Member

Mark III hunter.......Thanks

Hi, NGIB and others thanks for your help.

NGIB thank you for the Ruger forum web site, which was very helpful and I soon will become one of those who think it is a piece of cake Disassembly/Assembling the Mark III.

I am only sorry too hear that because my email address is Gmail.com I cannot join the Ruger Forum, it looks like it can be very helpful down the road and fun to be on.

thanks again

16. ArtN

ArtN New Member

Mark III hunter

Hi, Canebrake, thanks for your help, with help of NGIB and others I was able to get Ruger Mark III put together. What I did not know is that the pin that dangles down from the hammer was in a downward position when I wanted to assemble the mainspring housing and was not able to, but now I know to release it, should it happen again, I guess I did not hold the pistol in the downward position so the pin could dangle, LOL

Canebrake after this was accomplished, I racked the bolt and it did not retrack so I thought immediately that I had done something wrong again, but come to find out it was just as you stated in your first post answering my question, I inserted an empty magazine into the pistol which causes this situation. I have a CZ and this does not happen with it when I rack it, I am able to dry fire. Yes, Now I understand by dry firing causes problem with rimfire ammo/pistols........thanks for your help.

Art