Looking for reccomendations.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by painted_klown, May 16, 2008.

1. painted_klown

painted_klown New Member

Hello all, I just recently got into shooting and I don't have a clue of where to start. I bought my first gun on a whim as it seemed like it was a good deal. I would like to continue to make wise purchases as I buy more guns. So my question is this. What do you recommend? I am a gun newbie and I know very little about them. I have only shot 3 guns in my entire life and they were all .22 long rifles. I am wanting to buy a hand gun and was leaning toward one that takes .22 long bullets so I can use the same ammo in both my Marlin model 60 and whatever I get next.
    I will mainly use the gun for target practice. I am trying to keep the money as low as possible without getting something that is unreliable and will be a headache to clean, maintain, and use. Well I hope you all will help to steer me in the right direction. Thanks.:)

2. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

A Ruger Single Six might suit you well. It's a single action .22 revolver (you have to manually cock the hammer before each shot) that is simple to shoot and maintain. Prices aren't bad on new ones and you should be able to track down a used one with some effort.

3. painted_klown

painted_klown New Member

Thanks for the tip Flint Rock.:)

I am going to go check them out (online anyway) and see what I can find out about them. Just to be sure, is this http://www.thegunsource.com/store/item/7787_Hand_Guns_Pistols_Ruger_Ruger__Super_Single__Six_.aspx
    the gun you are talking about?

I should have mentioned to everyone that $400.00 and under is the price range I am interested in looking at. The lower the better of course without getting a piece of junk.:p

Thanks for the advice, are there any more guns/models that I should take a look at all?

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  4. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

That's it. Smith & Wesson and Ruger both make new .22 autoloader pistols that are in your price range, and most people never have any problems with them, but they are a little more involved than the Ruger Single Six.

5. Catfish

Catfish New Member

I agree with the Ruger Single 6. If you reall feel you must have a semi-auto the Ruger MK11. In my oppenion these are the 2 best in their class for accuracy and value. I own both and they shoot far better than you can hold them.

6. painted_klown

painted_klown New Member

Thanks for the help gentlemen. It is greatly appreciated.:)

7. BigO01

BigO01 New Member

I would go with a double action revolver next .

While single actions especially Rugers are fine guns I consider them to more of either a serious hunting weapon if in a substantial caliber or a nostalgia gun/toy if one has grown up watching westerns and something that can be acquired after guns that have an intended purpose .

At some point in your young life you will come to the brutal realization that the world is a dangerous place and nowhere is truly safe and this is the reason the majority of us own guns . At that moment your focus will be on serious weaponry and if money is tight and your collection still limited you will kick yourself for buying a less than adequate arm for the same money one would have cost you .

I suggest a 4 inch barreled 357 magnum that can be fired with 38 specials to acquire the skills needed with a handgun for either defense or even hunting if that may be in you future .

Taurus makes fine guns and a model 66 would be just the ticket in 357 , if you insist on a 22 they have the model 94 a 9 shot double action revolver .

If you can hold off and spend a bit more Smith & Wesson makes excellent guns that will be of higher quality than a Taurus although it is debatable if the quality is high enough to account for the increased price for a new gun .

good luck

8. yankee2500

yankee2500 New Member

9. painted_klown

painted_klown New Member

Hey all, I was at the local gun shop today and they had a Ruger Mark II for $240.00. It was used but that seemed like a good deal to me. What do you guys think? Should I go for it? (they also had a mark III for like $15 or so bucks more)
    Thanks for all the help and advice.:)

10. BigO01

BigO01 New Member

The Rugers are great semiauto 22's both rifle and pistols but , I strongly suggest before you buy it you call Ruger and see what their repair policy is on second hand guns .

Autos are more prone to problems than revolvers and if it should have a problem you might want a general idea what you could be getting into .

Gunsmith work isn't cheap .

11. yankee2500

yankee2500 New Member

I agree with Big001, and $240 is not a bad price for the Ruger if it is in good shape. John

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  12. yankee2500

yankee2500 New Member

A problem could be expensive not to mention being with out your gun during repair. I would go for new over used if possible, just for the warrenty and knowing how the gun has been taken care of from day one. John

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  13. ScottG

ScottG New Member

If you want to save a little extra money, you could purchase something like the Heritage Rough Rider and use the leftover to buy something more useful in a self defense role.

My first handgun was a 4" S&W Model 19 that I found in a gun shop for $299. That was two years ago. I don't know what you'll find in your area, but two guns for about $500 might fit the bill for you.

That would give you a nice little plinker and a .357 for serious work.

14. painted_klown

painted_klown New Member

Hmm, well the point is well taken all. :)

Used is not the way to go then? Seems like that's the general consensus.

On a similar note, a bunch of us went out shooting today and a friend brought along his Ruger MK III and I absolutely fell in love with it. Super fun to shoot. I repeat, SUPER fun to shoot. The only problem was that with a handgun it seems like you blow through ammo a lot quicker as you want to just "unload" on your target.:p

Tonight I was looking online for rugers and I found several versions of the Mark III. This http://www.thegunsource.com/store/item/49231_Hand_Guns_Pistols_Ruger_Ruger_Mark_III_Rimfire_Pi.aspx
    was the cheapest version and the price is right for a new one. Would that be a mistake? I was thinking if I do settle on a gun I find online I would first ask my local guy here if he could get one in and at what price. I am figuring even if he was roughly $35-$40 more than the online price it would still equal out at he charges $25 dollars for the transfer or whatever as the gun is required to be sent to a licensed FFL dealer. Plus the shipping and for me I am willing to pay a little just for being able to walk in, buy, and walk out.

Anyway, thanks for all of your advice thus far. What do you think of this deal? I will try to remember to get a price quote from my local guy tomorrow.:)

15. ScottG

ScottG New Member

I wouldn't say that. Being new to guns may make it less attractive to you until you know what to look for. I've only had guns for two years, but I've only bought three new guns, the rest have been used. Just because someone sold a gun that you see at a gunshop or show doesn't mean it's no good. It may be something someone didn't like shooting or didn't like how it felt in their hands, or it was more gun than they wanted. If you see something at a shop, ask if you can have a gunsmith inspect it before you buy it, or if they'll let you return it after taking to be examined. Of course, they probably won't let you shoot it, but a smith should be able to see if there's anything wrong with the gun without shooting it.

It's sort of like buying a used car, someone else paid full price for it and you get it at a discount....

16. yankee2500

yankee2500 New Member

17. BigO01

BigO01 New Member

Painted I never said not to go used , just check to see if the maker will repair it with you being the second owner .

Another option is if the gun shop will give you a written return/repair policy that clearly spells out that you CAN test fire the weapon .

Semiautos can malfunction for something as simple as improper cleaning and lubrication .

You may well get a great gun at a great price Used , "I have a few times" or you may get one that simply needs a minor part replacement such as a spring or the ejector .

I just think you need to go into it with your eyes open .

18. painted_klown

painted_klown New Member

Ok, cool.:cool:

I checked on the Ruger MKIII and the local gun shop had one for $270.00 brand new. I was REALLY tempted to pick it up right there on the spot. I resisted the temptation however and decided to keep looking around for a bit.

I am now trying to decide between a revolver and pistol for my first handgun purchase. I don't know why but I am just sort of enamored by revolvers. (I am especially drawn to the Judge from Taurus but there is no way I can afford it at this time) I have had a friend and someone on here suggest the Heritage rough rider. http://www.thegunsource.com/store/i...stols_Heritage_Heritage_Arms_Rough_Rider.aspx
    The price is definitely right on one of those and with the money I save on buying that I would have a good start on getting yet another gun. Maybe moving to something more powerful than a 22.:)

I was also heavily considering a Sig arms "mosquito"
    http://www.thegunsource.com/store/item/57759_Hand_Guns_Pistols_Sig_Arms_Sig_Arms_Sig_Sauer_Mosq.aspx
    or a Taurus of some sort. Their lifetime warranty is very attractive and from what I have come to understand their quality is pretty good as well. Any ideas all?

Also I have two more quick and, as usual, complete newbie questions.:rolleyes:

1.What caliber is the next step up from a .22? (or cheapest to shoot)

2.What is the lowest caliber for a shotgun? (or cheapest to shoot)

19. ScottG

ScottG New Member

The next caliber up is the .25, but it's not really cheap. The 9mm luger is the next up that's cheap. The .32s and .380s are out there, but they cost more.

410 bore is the smallest production shotgun, but the shells are pricey. 20 gauge and twelve gauge are about the same price, but the 20 is sometimes harder to find. Especially if you're looking for buckshot.

If you get the Rough Rider, let us know how you like it. I've considered getting one myself....

20. coltm4

coltm4 New Member

rugers make great target pistols. .22lr is also a great round to learn and practice basic marksmanship skills. all advanced shooting is rooted in basic markmanship. Body position/grip, trigger squeeze, sight picture, breathing. find out (if possible) how many rounds have been put through that used mark II. it's like mileage on a used car. also look for wear and tear on the muzzle and chamber, feed ramp, firing pin etc.