Looking for realiable Stainless Steel Pistol recommendations, can anyone advise?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by CountryGent, Aug 7, 2014.

1. CountryGent

CountryGent New Member

Hi everyone,
    I live in a country on the other side of the sea where buying a gun is subject to very strict regulations and constraints. You must have a permit, have to renew it all the time, are limited to owning only a few hundred units of ammo and must keep the firearm locked inside a safe or a strong box during transport... Still, my days in the military made me realize that I enjoyed shooting for sport so I will soon join a club and obtain the necessary paperwork.

Growing social unrest and a lack of safety in my country mean that I often fear for my life when coming home late at night. And while I only intend to use this firearm for sport as the legislation allows of course I would very much like to have a gun that is ready for other uses should the law changes if you know what I mean. Should the law change or a civil war break out I would very much like to be able to defend myself and so I would like something extremely durable in stainless steel preferably with good accuracy, long range, no jamming (I once tried a P22 and god that thing would jam at least once per clip...) and enough power to stop for good with a single shot should the law change and allow for self defense. The ability to have it decorated would be a big plus but is by no means essential. My budget is the equivalent of $2500 maximum.

Do you gents have any advice or recommendations?

Thanks so much!

2. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I like the DE 44, but they are pricey.
    About 1500 $ for a SS one, on a good
    day.

Or, you could try either Smith & Wesson,

Smith & Wesson, or Smith & Wesson.

Then, of course, there is always Smith & Wesson...

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Your requirements would be difficult to fill with a pistol. Common handgun calibers are not known for their one shot stop capability. Sure you don't want a pump shotgun or a capable rifle? You can get a 44 mag revolver but most capable 44 mag pistols weigh 3 lb. Not to mention a 44mag is expensive to shoot and it is not a lot of fun. You might have problems with other range members who will not appreciate the muzzle blast.

Here is an article about a police officer that shot a suspect 14 times with a 45 acp. Most American police departments issue +P or +P+ ammunition. That means his 45 acp had a load equal to many 357 mag self defense loads.
    http://www.policeone.com/patrol-iss...ne-cop-carries-145-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job/

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you are living in Europe, then a good pistol that would have readily available parts, accessories, and knowledgable gunsmith support available. Browning Hi-Power, CZ-75, Sig Sauer seem like good choices. If a revolver is in order, then a S&W in .357 mag, or .44 mag would work as well. Magnum ammo can be pricey, but the ability to use low power loads for target work makes these revolvers very versitile.

I never would count on a handgun stopping a threat in one shot.

5. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I would recommend a SIG SAUER P-series. The decocker operation I think is better in an all-purpose handgun than the traditional DA/SA or SAO. Stainless steel will ring it up to $1200 give or take.

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I own and sometimes carry a Smith & Wesson 629. That is a 44 magnum. It is heavy. But I can carry it without any trouble. Another thing you should consider is ammo availability. Check you local gun store. Find out what ammo is in stock. If you can't find 44 magnum ammo, don't buy a 44 mag.

This is a 629. It is a pic from the internet. I don't have a pic of mine on this computer.

Attached Files:

• 629.jpg
      629.jpg
      File size:
      5 KB
      Views:
  7. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

8. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

CountryGeny - Welcome, here are some ideas and a little eyecandy:

1)Ruger SR1911 in .45 acp.
    2)Sig Sauer 1911 in .45 acp.
    3)Sig Sauer P226 in 9mm
    4) Sig Sauer ? in .380 acp.
    5)CZ 75B in 9mm
    6)Ruger Match Champion in .357 mag.
    7)Smith & Wesson 686 in .357 mag.
    and jic 8)S&W X-Frame in .500 S&W

Attached Files:

• ss2.jpg
      ss2.jpg
      File size:
      29.5 KB
      Views:
    • ss3.jpg
      ss3.jpg
      File size:
      25.5 KB
      Views:
    • ss4.jpg
      ss4.jpg
      File size:
      24.9 KB
      Views:
    • ss5.jpg
      ss5.jpg
      File size:
      29.2 KB
      Views:
    • ss6.jpg
      ss6.jpg
      File size:
      29.1 KB
      Views:
    • ss7.jpg
      ss7.jpg
      File size:
      28.7 KB
      Views:
    • ss.jpg
      ss.jpg
      File size:
      27.2 KB
      Views:
    • ss1.jpg
      ss1.jpg
      File size:
      30.8 KB
      Views:
  9. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

If you are in Europe, the CZ75 is king over there. That or a pistol from the SigSauer P series.

If a revolver is in order take a look at the Smith&Wesson Performance Center. Something in .357mag would be great, maybe an R8, 627, or a 586. It doesn't get much better than that.

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

welcome to FTF CountryGent!
    stop over in the Introductions Section when you get a chance and say hello to everyone.

without knowing the laws in your country, it may be hard to make an informed suggestion as to a good recommendation. different countries have different restrictions. the good thing is we have members here at FTF from all over the world and knowing what country you are in, maybe someone close to you may have some good recommendations that may be of help.

also, it's hard for a pistol to serve too many functions and most are more designed for a specific usage. might need to define the most important manner in which the pistol is to used and realize the others would more than likely be a compromise.

11. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

$2500 can buy a whole lot of pistol(s) here in the US. What does the typical pistol cost in your country?

12. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

Maybe a CZ in .40 S&W? That would get you a solid, reliable pistol with a little more knock down power than a 9mm. But as stated above one shot knock down in a pistol is tough without going real big caliber. Then it won't be so range and plinking friendly. A Dan Wesson or Colt 1911 in 10mm might also work. If you can only have a limited amount of ammo then ammo cost shouldn't hurt too bad.

Maybe you need a rifle or shotgun too.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

13. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

that's a good question.

all my pistols are in stainless & i love em all. but they are very different.

OP- do you want a revolver or semi? high capacity or powerful round or compromise between the two? ability to conceal/carry or full size?

14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Country Do you have a cartridge of your choice or several to pick from. A revolver or semi-auto ? If you can hunt or want very accurate Freedom Arms. Dan Wesson 715 or s&w 686 or 627. Pistols , Dan Wesson Heritage or Valor or one of les Baer 1911's

15. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

If you're determined to go with a SS finish (I'm assuming non-polymer lower), I'd recommend researching:

CZ 75b- Probably the most quality for your money
    1911 (various makers)- Lotsa options at various prices
    Sig Sauer- Some of Sig's P220/228/229 are available in SS

There is also the EAA Witness Match (CZ 75 clone), BHP Practical (hard chrome finished Browning Hi-Power), and the Beretta/Taurus 92 is a good gun if you've got bigger hands.

16. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

i have a beretta 92 compact stainless (inox)...LOVE IT! :D

Attached Files:

17. CountryGent

CountryGent New Member

Thank you all for your recommendations, I'll be looking them up!

Sorry about the late reply, I would prefer a semi automatic but a revolver will do if no semi meets my requirements.

In my country you can buy pistols, shotguns and some hunting rifles. As I don't live in the countryside and wish to be ready to fire immediately after the first shot the latter are not options. SMGs and Assault Rifles are illegal here and not even the cops have them.

I'm thinking if a civil war breaks out or if we get invaded by Russia or China and I am in a situation where I need to defend myself against an oppressive occupation regime I might need something that can pierce body armor (not planning to go guerilla or anything but in case my life or family are threatened by some occupying grunt). I suppose I might need something like a Desert Eagle but those are extremely expensive. I looked up the prices and they cost nearly 3500 Euros... Wow...

To sum up my main criteria in order of importance:

- No jamming
    - Extremely durable and resists humid environments and rust
    - Accurate
    - One shot one kill if necessary / can pierce body armor
    - Durable enough to be used as a blunt force weapon if necessary

Thanks again everyone!

PS: perhaps i should mention that while i am a good shot in general I am not very tall, heavy or strong, in fact I have rather thin and weakish small hands and arms. i never had any issue with the browning shotguns I used to use nor the P22 but i thought i should mention it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  18. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Huumm. Armor piercing too !!! For get the standard pistol cartidges. For get stainless steel. Carbon steel firearms have worked well for a long time , back in the match lock flint lock days. Not many pistol cartidges are armor piercing. Think about a 5.7x28 FN in the five-seven pistol and carbine and the 4.6x30 HK maybe . IF you capable of owning them over there. Otherwise Buy what you can service over there like glock, hk, sig in a cartridge you can buy loads of ammo for.

One shoot kill ?? Practice , put a ..22lr or 22mag on the center of there face and there died or scambled. Heck ,Buy a AK47 or 74 in a carbine and pistol .

Might as well have one of these also . Killed a lot critters and been used on people too . Easy to buy and carry 5000 rounds if needed. Get good with it.

http://www.ruger.com/products/markIIITarget/images/10103.jpg

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  19. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

In the U.S. a stainless 1911 from a reputable company can be had for around $1000 (755 euros.) They are available in several calibers and conversions are available for several more from .22 LR to 10mm. I do not believe any could reliably defeat armor, but is that really a necessity? And the 1911 is the most customizable handgun.
    Are BUL firearms sold there? They make a fair quality hybrid 1911 in several calibers.