Looking for opinions

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by EclecticShooter, May 12, 2019.

1. EclecticShooter

EclecticShooter Well-Known Member

I am a fan of blowback pistols like .32s, .380s, and 9x18s. I've sold a few in order to by some better ones. The models I'm thinking of are Walthers PPs/PPKs, Sig P232s or a CZ82/83. I like older guns like FN 1900s and 1910s too. What would y'all buy?

Rifling82 and TFL like this.
  2. TFL

TFL Well-Known Member

I grabbed a CZ82 in 9x18 a few months ago from jgsales. The finish is worn but not as bad as depicticted on their website. It came with police duty holster and mag pouch for $199 before shipping and ffl transfer. If you have an 03 C&R license, you can skip the transfer fee and have it shipped directly to you since it qualifies for C&R status. I like it as it has a double stack mag that carries 12rds.
    000_2350.JPG

3. EclecticShooter

I like the 82 but haven't shot one yet. I like my CZ Z and and 70 so I'm sure it's well made.
    I had a Bulgarian Mak and just didn't like it like I thought I would.

TFL likes this.
  4. TFL

TFL Well-Known Member

I have a Bulgarian Mak and at one time had an East German Mak. The East German Mak in my opinion was more enjoyable to shoot than the Bulgarian due to trigger pull/function. Not only that but the finish and quality on the East German was better. I should have kept it and regret selling it til this day. My CZ82 is a bit larger in overall size but to be honest, I like shooting it better than my Bulgarian Mak and the East German Mak I had in the past. For the price, I dont think you can go wrong. Besides, it holds more ammo! :)

SanchoPanza and EclecticShooter like this.
  5. EclecticShooter

I'd gladly buy an EG Mak at the right price. I like my FEGs more than I liked the PM.
    I think the 82 would fill my hand better. I'm open to an 83 in .32 or .380 as well.

SanchoPanza and TFL like this.
  6. TFL

TFL Well-Known Member

If you decide to get a CZ82 or CZ83, let me know and I will let you know where to get the "true" correct, factory spare mags for it. There are a lot of mags out there for sale that are aftermarket trash and will not function correctly in it. Also, you can get spring kits for it to tailor it to the ammo that you fire in it. I bought 3 spare mags and the spring tailor kit for it for not much money.

7. EclecticShooter

When you say spring kits do you mean for the firing controls or the recoil spring? I will put a stouter recoil spring in it if I get one.
    I don't know if you've ever shot a FEG PA63 in 9x18, but recoil is stout from it due to having an aluminum frame and snappy action. A stronger recoil spring is a must for it to be comfortable and for the longevity of the frame.

SanchoPanza likes this.
  8. TFL

TFL Well-Known Member

Recoil spring kit. Also comes with a firing pin spring. You can get the "tailor" kit from wolf springs with 3 different weight recoil springs that also comes with firing pin springs. 3 different recoil springs with 3 firing pin springs for under $20. Never fired a PA63 but have heard the recoil can be brutal.

SanchoPanza and EclecticShooter like this.
  9. EclecticShooter

Gotcha. Yeah, I'll definitely be getting that spring kit. I like to change springs in milsurp pistols when I get them because Lord knows when they last were.

SanchoPanza likes this.
  10. TFL

TFL Well-Known Member

Wolf Springs call it a calibration pack. Comes with 18#, 16#, and 14.5# recoil springs and 3 firing pin springs. Or, you can buy just one spring pack of the # weight you decide on.

EclecticShooter likes this.
  11. EclecticShooter

I got the recoil spring and firing pin spring for my FEG from them. Although I haven't changed the firing pin spring yet to keep reliable ignition with steel case ammo.

12. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

I have the FEG PA63 and put the 15# recoil spring and the 19# hammer spring in. I really like the results. I bought some Blazer FMJ because they use the CCI primers that I'm told are the hardest. No misfires at all. with the 15 # hammer spring I had 2 double strikes. I find the PA63 a complete pleasure to shoot and extremely accurate. I'm always in the market for those old Eastern European .380's or 9mm's.

13. EclecticShooter

I love Eastern European stuff too. The PA63 is nice with the heavier recoil spring, but it still chews up the web of my hand. Doesn't keep me from shooting it though. I shoot the PA63 well, but I shoot its more refined brother the AP9 even better.

Nod likes this.
  14. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

CZ .380 or 9x18 would be a good pick up. Makarovs are solid buys. A while back there were some Beretta .380s coming in as used police pistols.

SGWGunsmith and EclecticShooter like this.
  15. EclecticShooter

Those Berettas are tempting, especially since I really like my 92.

16. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

My bad, mine is the AP9 also.

17. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I introduced my wife to shooting with a PPK/s in 22lr.
    She liked it so much that I bought her a PPK/s in .380.

I don't normally buy her guns, but this was in the beginning of her shooting. My thought was (at the time) to get her into shooting the same platform, then introduce her to other platforms.

18. GerryR

GerryR New Member

Try the Remington R51 9mm. It is of the Pedersen design, which is a delayed lock, impeded-blowback system. It isnt much bigger than most 380's. Very unique in today's market!

19. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Don't discount the Bersa Thunder 380. It is my EDC, 100% reliable, very much resembles a PPK/s (but is easier to disassemble/clean), and can be had new for less than $300. Lifetime warranty, too.

They also make one in .22LR (have) and a 380 Thunder double-stack (the 380 Plus - want). Very sweet firearms, and ones where if you nick it, that just adds to the character.

Worthy of consideration...

20. EclecticShooter

The Bersas aren't bad little guns. My wife actually has one in .380 that her Dad gave her when she moved out. It's not bad but honestly not my favorite, mostly due to the sights. I'm a weirdo who likes the small, fine sights on older pistols. She's since replaced it with the S&W Shield 9mm that I bought.