Looking for new carry pistol

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by wieseman71, May 25, 2013.

1. wieseman71

wieseman71 New Member

I guy I work with wants to buy my Jimenez ja22 for $130, so I figure ill put that money towards a new carry gun. I want something smaller than my sr9c for summer months. I've narrowed it down to ruger lc9 or keltec pf9. Want to hear what you guys & gals think. Does any one own the keltec and does it really have as many problems as the reviews say. Thanks in advance for any input

2. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I'd look seriously at the Kahr CM9 instead.

The LC9 is a good gun in that is quality enough it'll go bang when you pull the trigger, but aside from that I hated mine. Worst trigger I ever experienced, imagine the KelTec is pretty much the same. The SR9c had a great trigger. The CM9 has a very good trigger.

Granted some don't seem to be bothered by poor quality triggers. Some even love the extreme length of these LC trigs. Even that I could let go, but it's just uneven and mushy, horrendously so.

Just my take.

Last edited: May 25, 2013

3. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I carry a Kahr PM9. I'm very impressed with Kahr triggers.

Between the two you mentioned, I would lean towards the Ruger.

4. wieseman71

wieseman71 New Member

So you guys say kahr, hmm just so happens that my local scheels ( omaha ne) has two of the cm9's there $469. I think I'll go back and check them out, see how they feel in hand. From your experience will the cm9 or the lc9 make that much of a difference in conceal ability over the sr9c. I love the sr during winter spring & fall, was just looking for a bit smaller during summer.

5. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

The CM9 is tiny! Perfect summer concealed gun...

http://whichgun.com/pistols/view/kahr-cm9

http://whichgun.com/pistols/view/ruger-lc9

http://whichgun.com/pistols/view/ruger-sr9c

Just compare the size stats, says it all man!

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  6. ScottA

I have a SR9C as well. There's a definite difference.

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  7. AR10

AR10 New Member

A little larger option is a Beretta Storm subcompact. Holds 14 9mm with one in the pipe. I purchased it for my wife, but her hands cannot rack the slide. So I now have another carry option. These go for about 519 if you look around.

Double action, then single action. Exposed hammer. Decocker with safety.

Glad my wife did not want it, because I really like it.

Attached Files:

8. wieseman71

wieseman71 New Member

I'll definitely be going to scheels to see how the cm9 feels. It's a bit more than I planed on spending but my family's protection is worth it.
    AR10 thanks for the suggestion but I want to stay with a single stack magazine for as slim as posable. Any other suggestions I'm listening ( reading I guess ).

9. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I wish I had waited for one, CM9, instead of getting the LC9 & LCP!

And the Beretta is an amazing gun, as is pretty much everything they make, it's basically the replacement of the Cougar, which wasn't a necessary replacement, but my what an achievement!

10. wieseman71

wieseman71 New Member

I looked at the nano but it seemed a bit bigger than the lc9 more like the shield. Both great guns I'm sure but not as slim as I'd like.

11. ScottA

Maybe a Sig 938 or p290 or a Springfield XDS 9mm?

I'm trying to remember if there was anything else I took a close look at when I decided upon the Kahr, but IIRC, it pretty well came down between the Kahr and the Ruger.

12. stoneam2006

stoneam2006 New Member

I carry a lc9 daily and love it. Can conceal in any weather or clothes...shoots good to

13. Jtelli71

Jtelli71 New Member

I have a walther pps 9mm and a shield 9mm. Both really good guns. I really like the Kahr series of guns also. They do a good job for the ccw
    Guns...

14. SureShotCCW

SureShotCCW New Member

You should look into the Springfield xds .45, it's a great gun which I carry daily! Only downfall is the magazine capacity.

15. Jtelli71

Jtelli71 New Member

Xds 45 is a steller choice for ccw. I recently shot one and its great. Love to get one once funds are available.

16. ALfiremedic1

ALfiremedic1 New Member

I would avoid the keltec like the plague. I had one and hated it. My wife has an LC9 and it was ok, but not my favorite. I would have to say that I like Kahr triggers. I had a CW9 and CW40. They feel good. I really wanted a M&P shield, so I switched to that. It's also a great CC option.

17. GonzoGeezer

GonzoGeezer New Member

How small do you want to go? I have a Magnum Research Micro Desert Eagle I'm selling. Third smallest .380 auto in production today. PM me if interested.

18. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

My daughter and I have both owned the PF9. I still have mine. Both fired well, neither one had any failure to feed or eject problems, but both of them have a slide release that is unbelievably hard to work. She couldn't release hers without pulling back on the slide to take off some of the pressure.

I'm sure somebody somewhere will find something to complain about on the triggers, but I don't have a problem with it. It's a heck of a lot shorter than my old Sig P250 was. I couldn't stand that one.

19. MrandMrsSmith

MrandMrsSmith New Member

Look at the Taurus 709 Slim9mm.....

20. MrandMrsSmith

MrandMrsSmith New Member

Look at the Taurus 709 Slim 9mm.....great CCW