Looking for my first pistol (.22)

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by mousewilliams99, May 3, 2010.

1. mousewilliams99

mousewilliams99 New Member

I would love to own a 1911 but I need to start small. I can't decide if I want a revolver or semi .22 Being a college student money is somewhat tight, so I would love to find a decent gun for under $400. Any suggestions?

2. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Welcome to FTF! Please stop by the introductions forum and let us get to know you. :)

You have LOTS of options for a good .22 handgun in that price range. The best .22's around (and I think everyone will agree) are the Ruger mark series and the Browning buckmarks. These can both be had for less than $400.

Ruger Mark III 22LR 6" Blued FIXED SIGHTS for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $278.00

Ruger Mark III 22LR 6-7/8" Blued AADJUSTABLE SIGHTS for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $326.00

You can get the "better ones" for a little more. I would start looking for a good used one though.

Here's some buckmarks. I have an older one I bought for $200 and love it!

Browning 22 LR Buck Mark Practical/Fiber Optic Si for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $344.00

Browning Buck Mark MS Camper 22 AS for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $308.00

They are a little less and have a better trigger ot of the box in my opinion.

You can also look into the S&W's, Beretta Neos, Sig .22's, or Walther's.

:cool:

3. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

For under $400, you can't do better than a Ruger Mk III. If you go up to around $450, you can get the 7" bull barrel, and man is she ever a tack driver.

The Browning Buckmark is also an excellent choice, and I've shot the Bertetta Neos and enjoyed it. S&W makes the very awesome Model 41, but that's a bit more than you're looking to spend, and the entry-level Model 22 falls short of the Ruger and Browning. In my experience, the Walther P22 is an inferior choice, both of the ones I've shot have been unreliable with feeding.

EDIT:
    $463 for the Competition model: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/369/products_id/14287
    And $405 for a 5" bull barrel: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/369/products_id/13046

By the way, stop by the Introductions Forum and introduce yourself!

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  4. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

I am also looking into "my first pistol". I had thought about starting off with a 9mm because as a new hand gun shooter, I was frankly, a little intimated by anything larger. After a couple trips to the range with my buddies shooting their HK p2000 .40 and Kahr pm40 and I am more than confident in myself. Next trip I am gonna try a few more and narrow it down. I am also on a budget and want to stay below 600. My suggestion to you is try as many as you can of all different calibers, you might find that the 22 might feel just a little to easy after a while, (like 15 minutes). although the ammo sure is cheap.

5. utf59

utf59 New Member

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

What Brian said...

7. freefall

freefall New Member

Get a Ruger 22/45. Controls are somewhat similar to a 1911, grip is sort of similar, they're accurate as all get out. Got the Lovely Mrs Freefall a buckmark a while ago, I'm apalled that you have to remove the rear sight to clean the damn thing. Of course She loves it (I clean it) and would fiercely resist any attempt I might make to trade it for afore mentioned Ruger.

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

You're appalled at that? It's just a couple of screws for pete's sake,lol.

9. freefall

freefall New Member

A couple of screws that hold on the rear sight. Does seem to come back to zero fairly well I must admit, but geez, they couldn't come up with a better idea than removing the sight??

10. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Although I do not own a Ruger (I have an S&W 617; not recommended on a college budget) I would probably purchase one in your case.