Looking for my first .45

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Franciscomv, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I'm looking for a good .45 to add to my colection, since I live in Argentina choices are very slim.

There are lots of used Colts and "sistema Colt" (a local version, I think it was built under license from Colt), but most of them have decades of use and others have parts from a gazillion different manufacturers. It's difficult for somebody inexperienced like me to pick a good one, and most of those good ones need some tinkering by an armourer to be in perfect shape, or some replacement parts. So I'm looking at new pistols.

My two main options are CZ's model 97 and Para Ordnance's model P14. I like the looks of both guns, the CZ 97 a bit more. I've got a CZ 75 and I'm crazy about it, I wouldn't mind owning another one of their products. I've heard good things about the Para Ordnance, and a 1911 inspired high capacity handgun is tempting.

I'd love to hear your opinions on them.

2. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

It's your call, and your decision. I like CZ and I own several. I wouldn't mind having another one... but that's me.

3. retleo99

retleo99 New Member

I have my Colt 1911 model that I carried for years as a Police Officer, and personally think there's nothing better, but I'm a little biased there. I also have a Glock 30 in .45 ACP that I now like after getting used to it.

I've had the opportunity to shoot both the CZ as well as the Para, and I agree with Mark F, I'd take the CZ.

Oh, and on an unrelated note, since you're from Argentina, let me thank you and your countrymen for my favorite NBA player, Manu Ginobli ;)

Bob

4. propex

propex New Member

5. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

does argentina have strickt gun laws or just hard to find guns

6. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Bersas are OK, in fact a friend of mine is one of the factory managers so I know them well. But they have no re-sale value and every gun store has them, so I can buy one later on (a .380 CC model is on my wish list). A Para Ordnance or CZ seems like a better investment, plus I want something a little more special than a Bersa.

Gun laws are not that bad, but concealed carry and ammo laws suck. We can buy almost anything, although you need special permits for semiautomatic rifles with detachable magazines (there's a lot of red tape, but you can get them if you shoot rifle IPSC or something like that).

Getting a carry permit is VERY difficult and expensive, almost imposible without a well conected friend. And ammo-wise some idiot thought that it would be cool to apply Geneva convention prohibitions to regular citizens. We're not allowed to use any sort of expanding bullet for self defense. Not even regular flat nose bullets. We've got to use round nose bullets, either FMJ or lead (semi-jacketed ammo isn't allowed either).

This sucks because it reduces de effectiveness of handguns for self defense, that's why I'm buying a shotgun for my house and I try to stick to big calibers in my handguns.

7. GLI45

GLI45 New Member

If you are interested in a Model 1911 .45ACP you should take a look at STI. They produce both full and compact sizes as well as single stack and double stack models. Not a mass producer like Colt, Kimber, Sig, etc...all their guns are hand fitted with very tight tolerences. Buttery smooth action with a trigger that can't be beat. Short of going to a complete custom build, you can't do better.

http://www.stiguns.com/index.html

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

If your hands are large enough to comfortably handle it, I would recommend the CZ 97. I own 1911's and I really love them, but in your case, I think the CZ is more practical for your skill level.

9. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

CZ 97's are nowhere to be found. :mad: I've been calling all the gunshops that carry CZ guns and none of them have one.

I'll have to wait a bit before the importer brings some new ones into the country. In the meantime I'm thinking about checking out a Para, although there is a Smith & Wesson model 66 with a 3" barrel that looks mighty tempting as well.

So many guns, so little money...

10. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

i hear ya, if only i could win the lotto. id probly have better luck if i bought more than 1 ticket every few months or so, oh well

11. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

There are Colt frames and slides in the US military inventory that have over 500,000 rounds on them and are still serviceable. It shouldn't be too expensive to order tuner parts from the states to refresh an old Colt.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  12. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I found a dealer who has a NIB Colt 1991 A1 for a decent price, I e-mailed him and I'm keeping my fingers crossed, hoping it hasn't been spoken for yet. It would be the perfect .45 for me.

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Sure it's a
    [​IMG]

cane

[​IMG]