Looking for M1 Garand info

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by ArmyGuy, Jul 27, 2011.

1. ArmyGuy

ArmyGuy New Member

I am looking to purchase an M1 Garand, but can only find one locally and it's a .308 not a 30-06. And on top of that they want over $1500 for it. Does anyone have information on where I can find one, or is a place like CMP my best bet? Also, am I just being stubborn by wanting the 30-06, is there any advantage one way or another?

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

CMP is probably the best deal going but you should be able to find M1's more or less locally. If local, expect to pay around $750 for a non matching rifle in decent shape.

3. ArmyGuy

ArmyGuy New Member

I would like to have a matching one. I have been looking at CMP's "correct grade", but I have to find a club to join that is affiliated with them. And I was told that if you purchase a rifle from CMP you can only sell it back to them, is that true?

4. CA357

Dude, you're in the Army. I think that supersedes being in a club. Double check the CMP qualifiers, but I'm pretty sure that active duty qualifies.

5. CA357

Here ya' go, cut and pasted from their eligibility requirements page:

Membership in many of these organizations costs $25.00 or less and can be accomplished online. A listing of affiliated organizations can be found by clicking on our Club Search web page at CMP - Find a CMP Affiliated Club. If you have any difficulty in locating a club, please contact the CMP at 256-835-8455 or by emailing CMP Customer Service. We will find one for you. In addition to shooting clubs, the CMP also has several special affiliates. Membership in these organizations satisfies our requirement for purchase. These special affiliates include: Congressionally chartered veterans' organizations such as the VFW, AL, DAV, MCL, etc. U.S. Military services (active or reserves), National Guard, to include retirees. Professional 501(c)3 law enforcement organizations and associations such as the FOP, NAPO, NSA, etc.

6. ArmyGuy

ArmyGuy New Member

Awesome, thank you I was just on their page as well re-reading what I had obviously missed. What "grade" would be good for a first time purchase, something to just shoot and the range and enjoy?

7. CA357

I bought a Service Grade 1943 Springfield. It had some other parts, but was mostly Springfield. Unless you buy "Correct Grade" you'll get a rifle with mixed parts. They were all pretty much re-arsenaled and parts is parts in the armory. ;)

Service Grade will get you a good and reliable shooter that looks pretty good too. Just figure out which manufacturer you want and go for it.

BTW, I hope you weren't offended by me calling you Dude. I'm an AF vet, '67-'71 and I've probably been in California too long. Correction, I know I've been in California too long.

8. ArmyGuy

ArmyGuy New Member

Trust me, being in the Army for 12 years now I have developed very thick skin. It will take a lot more than that to offend me. Besides, I have been called way worse things than that so no worries.

9. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Isnt the .308 a M1A? (civvie version of a M14) If your not picky about specifics the CMP is your best bet....
    Good luck on your search, Im hunting for a Garand as well, but Im picky and gotta have one made by International Harvester... The CMP never seems to have them though... :(

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  10. JonM

JonM Moderator

They can be rebarreled for 308. Springfield a few years back produced new 30-06 and 308 versions.

11. Gus556

Gus556 New Member

No, a bunch of garands have been rechambered in .308. A guy in our highpower league has a NM version chambered in .308.

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Try a Mosin Nagant.

Ammo is 5 times cheaper, and the ballistics are very similar.

They have a carbine- the M44- which is a great truck gun,

even comes with a built in bayonet.

You can get three or four decent Mosins for what you pay for 1 Garand.

13. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

The DCM is a great place to buy one. And if you contact them the guys working there are very knowledgeable regarding the weapons, condition and correctness. I know at Camp Perry at the Nationals they always have some fine rifles. I do not know what the law is in California but another great source to find one is Terry Douglas at Hill Top Guns in Colona, IL. Anyone interested can pm me for contact details. I have no business relationship with Terry just a good friend. Terry not only sells them since I know he has several in inventory, he is a collector and expert when it comes to the M-1 Garand, M-14, M-1 Carbine, Military 1911s, and others. Including the correctness and condition.

14. ArmyGuy

ArmyGuy New Member

Well, thanks to CA357 showing me what I missed when reading the CMP eligibility section I ordered myself a correct grade springfield M1 Garand today with ammo and enbloc clips (I think that's what they're called). Now I just have to wait roughly two months for it to arrive :( Besides what I mentioned, are there any must have (or nice to have) accessories for the M1 that I still need to order or purchase? I want to make sure I have everything I need once it gets here.

15. CA357

I'm not sure of it's nomenclature, but pick up an M1 combination tool. They run around twenty bucks. They're handy to have.

BTW, do not shoot commercial ammunition unless it's specifically for a Garand. Federal makes some. Otherwise, install a Shuster gas plug to handle the pressure. Personally, I always shot surplus.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  16. CA357

Oh and congratulations! :cool:

17. ArmyGuy

ArmyGuy New Member

Thanks, I ordered just shy of 600 rounds of surplus from CMP so I should be good for a while. I will make sure that I only get surplus to shoot. I am also looking up the combo tool so I can have it all here before the rifle..... hopefully

18. metalry23

metalry23 New Member

For my wedding my wife bought me the m1 Springfield the commemorate one on iwo jima. Very nice but damn expensive just watch the ammo cuz it's a buck a bullet or more if you can find the right type. But great fun shooting! (don't do it much cuz of cost and the gun is a commemorative.)

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

CA357's spot on about ammo, the shuster plugs, and CMP.

I love my Garand, it's just every time I fire it, my

register in my head goes "cha-CHING, $1.36! cha-CHING, $1.36!

cha-CHING, $1.36!"...

20. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

ARMYGUY~

Congrats on the new rifle purchase. I bet you are excited and the wait will be like watching the grass grow! Tuff!! "Now" You need to do some research on what to do to prevent that dreaded M-1 Condition called M-1 Thumb!:D

Enjoy that new rifle and send us some pics and a range report as soon as you can!