Firearms Talk banner
41 - 60 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I have a feeling one is compact and the other is not
Nope, both full size. Actually in the interest of full disclosure the XDm in .40 holds 16 +1.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Ahhh okay, based on the xD i would say 40 is a bad choice but its based on the weapons platform
Why, 12 rounds not enough to get the job done, :confused: or do you not like the XD?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I find my Glock 23 to be a very smooth gun to shoot. i practice frequently and qualify yearly on all types of stress courses with it . I always have decent groups inside the 'coke bottle' that would be considered kill shots. If its a 50 round course all 50 rounds are accounted for on the target.

In training the topic always comes up of the dept maybe switching to another calibre. Some deputies are 9mm fans and some like 45. But the experts and/or powers to be here still say the 9mm just doesn't have the knock down power we want.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Thanks for all of the input guys, I appreciate it. Sorry I did not mean to start a caliber war. As I mentioned earlier, I already have 2 9mm guns that I really like, so I was just looking to put some variety in the calibers that I own. So in terms of particular guns, it sounds like the better platforms for a 40 would be all steel ones since the weight would stabilize the snappiness. To that end, seems like the sig 226 or the h&k usp? I am Ok spending some $$ on a quality firearm.

I hope this does not start an argument, but any input on getting these guns used? I have only bought new guns from my lgs, and was thinking about trying a used gun this time. Anything particular I should check? Also how can I check this type of stuff online? Sources?

Thanks for everyone taking the time to answer. This forum had been really great in teaching a newbie like me about firearms

Thanks
Mo

·
Banned
2,562 Posts
Thanks for all of the input guys, I appreciate it. Sorry I did not mean to start a caliber war.
Now you know better! lol.

If you REALLY want to see people go ape-sh*t, start a thread called "which is better, Remington 870 or Mossberg 500"

·
Premium Member
14,652 Posts
Dont forget CZ and Beretta.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts

Now you know better! lol.

If you REALLY want to see people go ape-sh*t, start a thread called "which is better, Remington 870 or Mossberg 500"
My favorite is Remington 700 vs CZ 550. CZ of course. Tried both and the decision was too damn easy for me. I have friends who disagree though. Maybe I will start a new thread on why I did not go with Remington.

You want to start a bar fight on this site, compare Glock to any other handgun on the planet. There are some evil trolls out there who have to much fun ...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Take a look at .357 Sig caliber before you get a .40 caliber. It's a 9mm projectile on a .40 caliber brass. It's the choice of quite many LE agencies. I have two .357 Sigs (along with two 9mm's) and love 'em.

·
FAA licensed bugsmasher
7,141 Posts
You want to start a bar fight on this site, compare Glock to any other handgun on the planet. There are some evil trolls out there who have to much fun ...:rolleyes:
GOOD LORD MAN! We're DOOMED!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Why would you want a .40 they are all plagued with being either under power for the weight of the gun or having a lot of muzzel jump and just ....lacking in general either get a .45 or stick with the 9mm...the .40 smith & wesson was created due to the fact that there are more female police officers out there and was targeted at police departments who primarily use .45 ACP as a carry weapon well its been 15 years and the 9mm has become the predominant handgun round in the universe.FYI i know alot of cops male and female they all hate the .40 s&w they either still carry .45 ACP or they carry a 9mm mall security guards don't even like them it was a nice idea that fizzeled out along time ago don't waste your money
Sir I must disagree. The 40S&W was the result of the infamous FBI shootout in Miami where several officers failed to neutralize 2 criminals with their .357 revolvers loaded with .38+P and 9mm pistols and were later shot themselves. Because of this incident, the FBI felt they needed a more powerful ammo.

That was the birth of the 10mm by a fellow by the name of Cooper and the Bren handgun. Unfortunately for them, they took a long time to put the caliber into the market. S&W saw the opportunity to make a round with the same diameter but shorter (and smaller primer) thus making the grip of the gun smaller. That was the birth of the .40S&W and had nothing to do with female police officers.

·
Banned
6,618 Posts
My gripe with the 40 cal is I can get 357 ammo for the same price or less. If I am going to pay magnum prices for ammo I am going to buy a magnum pistol.

·
Banned
6,618 Posts
Idk where you're from but i pay $6-7 less per a box of .40 than 357. And no wheel guns for me
I get Fiocchi 357 ammo even with the shortage for $18 for 50. I haven't seen any 40 cal ammo for $11 or $12 for 50. You must get a hell of a deal on ammo.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Don't buy 40 at all go 45. 40 is the worst of both worlds
Your opinion, my experience shows that it doesn't give up much to a 45 ACP. The main reason I went with 40 S&W is that no 45 ACP ammo was available at the time I needed a firearm for CCW and now with even 40 S&W ammo next to impossible to get a hold of I'm very glad I went to that caliber because I stocked up with plenty of ammo at very decent prices. And as for "Snappy", it's never bothered me but then I started out shooting 44 mag single action revolvers so recoil never seemed to be a big deal for me.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Take a look at .357 Sig caliber before you get a .40 caliber. It's a 9mm projectile on a .40 caliber brass. It's the choice of quite many LE agencies. I have two .357 Sigs (along with two 9mm's) and love 'em.
Here in the S.W. corner of Oregon almost all of the LEO's use 40 S&W, 357 Sig ammo is rare to be seen here. What's interesting is that my Cougar 40's magazines will take 357 Sig ammo so if I wanted to get a barrel in 357 Sig, if available, they would work.

41 - 60 of 117 Posts