Looking for information - Help please

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Boyerracing343, May 20, 2011.

1. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

I have these two rifles that i know very little about. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me gain some information.
    Sorry the photos are crappy. I tried by best to get decent shots but as you can tell i failed.
    Rifle Number 1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only markings on this rifle is 2242 on the bolt and receiver, and on the underside by the trigger there is a 5395

The rifle is 40'' long and the rifling looks great.

I am trying to figure out what rifle this is. What it is chambered in, when it may have been made, etc etc

Rifle #2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This rifle appears to be sort of similar to the other one. It has a R marked on the top right behind the adjustable sight. It also has a M466 on the receiver by the bolt and a 466 on the bolt. I imagine it has been restocked.

The rifling looks great on this rifle as well.

I appreciate your time for reading this. Hopefully someone can help me gain some knowledge. I am young and dumb so i will apologize now, but thank you once again.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Don't apologize. I'm not sure what they are either and I'd also like to know.

I'd guess Mausers of some type, but I really haven't a clue. Better photos may be necessary, however the folks here are very knowledgeable and may not need them.

3. Boyerracing343

I can get better pictures if they are needed. Thanks again.

4. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

what caliber, and where did you get them from?

5. Boyerracing343

I don't know what caliber they are. That's one thing i am trying to figure out.

The gun that is more beaten up looks kind of like a Spanish Mauser of some sort,but them again i could be totally wrong.

6. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Lets see some close ups of the markings. The second one is a small ring Mauser, so could be a sporterized Spanish 93.

7. Boyerracing343

In at work right now. I'll post some pictures of the markings tonight. Thanks for the input m14rock.

8. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Cool beans. I will look forward to seeing them.

9. Boyerracing343

Here is two more photos of the rifle that has been restocked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rifle that is more beat up also has the same R underneath the wooden cover that surrounds the adjustable sight.

No other markings on are either gun other than the numbers that are listed in the previous posts.

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Gotta be more markings. How about under the rear sight? Floorplate? Under the wood? Barrel?

11. Boyerracing343

Those are the only markings on both. I have not taken the barrel off to see if there is any underneath the barrel. A friend told me he would try to take the barrel off and see if there is anything under it. When you flip the sight up there is no markings there. When you open up the spot in front of the trigger and take the spring out there is no markings there either. Its really throwing me off that i can't find any markings anywhere on both of these guns.

12. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

They both look like small ring Mausers, but the lack of markings is strange.

Post some better pics if you can.

13. Boyerracing343

Ill try to take some more. I am struggling to achieve good photos. Let me see what i can do.

If they were small ring mauser's what would they be chambered in? Just for curiosity. I plan to have my gun smith look over both rifles to possibly achieve more information as well.

14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Most likely is 7x57 (7mm Mauser), AKA the "Spanish Hornet".

A chamber casting will tell you for sure.

15. Boyerracing343

Thanks for all the help m14rock.

Are there any specific areas I should try to get photos of?

16. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Just take a series of relative close ups. The un-sporterized rifle looks like a Spanish 1916, but I want to be sure. It COULD be orig 7x57, or a re-barrel to 7.62x51. No way to tell by the pics, though.