looking for info on this barrel

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Nathantc, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

Model 1 Sales: 5.56 24-inch Tactical Barrel

I like the look of it, but how does it perform.

Do any of you know of some thing like this.

24" black heavy barrel fluted/threaded

I want some thing like this but I wander if it would be as good as my 24" stainless bull barrel.....wich Is very heavy.

If this barrel or one like it could do the same as my bull barrel (cold bore) than it would be nice to lose some weight and make it possible to shoot from the shoulder

2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I wouldn't do chrome lined in a barrel geared toward accuracy.

White Oak Armament might produce better results for you.

I don't know about the other guys but I tend to shy away from anything over 20" for a 5.56/.223 barrel, to heavy and IMO no real benifit over an 18" SPR type rifle.

3. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

4. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

i dont want shiny

5. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Not what he meant. The inside of the barrel itself is chromed to assist with bullet flight and barrel length, not saying the barrel is chromed.

6. vmkeith

vmkeith New Member

It looks like you missed the most important part of the description on the Model 1 website...that is an ER Shaw barrel. From what I've seen, read, and heard ER Shaw barrels are known for shooting MOA right out of the box.

7. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

vmkeith, would you go for the barrel I selected above or one of the following?

Model 1 Sales: 6.8 Rem SPC Dissipator Barrel

Anyone else wants to chime in, I'm all ears. I consider this the heart and soul, because if the barrel sucks you can't hit a fat chick at a candy aisle.

8. vmkeith

vmkeith New Member

No I wouldn't. If you are looking to get a 6.8 SPC I would recommend AR Performance, Bison Armory, or Noveske. Having the correct barrel specs is important with this caliber and those three do it right and contribute to the development and advancement of the round performance.

Also, for anybody interested in the 6.8 SPC I would google 68forums and start reading all the info.

9. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

I know I don't want chrome lined, and yes I was asking about E.R.Shaw, im thinking of making my precision rifle lose some weight.

Hence heavy profile instead of the bull barrel I got now.

That said I was only asking if some one knew how much of a difference I would get going from a 24" bull barrel, to a 24" heavy fluted barrel.

Also going from stainless to carbon steel.

I really like the look of this barrel. Just the look, and weight, not the chrome lined. Also I want a threaded muzzle for the suppressor I will be investing in.

10. vmkeith

vmkeith New Member

Difference in what...ballistics? Accuracy? There shouldn't be a big change in ballistics...muzzle velocity increase or decrease will depend on twist rate and type of rifling as you are only swapping out a barrel of the same length. Accuracy wise, I wouldn't be concerned with ER Shaw, they are good barrels. But, if it's a big concern for you, you might be better off looking at something from White Oak Armament...just my 2 cents.

11. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

Just looked at there site, all I seen was stainless barrels.

im not stuck on er shaw, I am only concerned with accuracy and I want to keep my 1:8 twist and the 24" length, but I want a black heavy fluted/threaded barrel instead of this

This is the barrel I do have now
    24 Inch Stainless Steel Bull Barrel: American Spirit Arms - Precision Firearms - AR15, M16 Rifle, M4 Carbine

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

The barrel you listed in your OP was chrome lined.

It feels like you're getting in your own way.

1:8 is a good twist I feel 1:7 would be better but it depends on the ammo you will use. SS is going to afford you the best chances at the most accurate rifle. Some manufacturers coat their SS barrels or you can have it coated.

Is there a reason other than "want" why you have your eye's on such a long barrel? Even the .mil realized 18" is a great length for a 5.56 longer range AR.

Your money but, there are a lot of more experienced people out there who really like the 18" SS barrel. Just a suggestion.

13. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Well crap. I was wanting to build the 6.8 as a hunting rifle. Now, however, I've went on the road and done some digging. Can't find the ammo at any of my local stores, costs a dollar a round when you order it.
    Did some research and seems a .223 is considered an adequate deer gun for ranges under 200 yds (Georgia Deer. Not that massive, and I won't shoot over 150.)
    So...debating between the two. What says the wiser AR folk? .223 or 6.8 SPC and order the bullets?
    I like the idea of the .223 because the ammo is plentiful, I can spend a good bit of time at the range and get it tweaked to just where I want it, but I like the 6.8 SPC for sheer stopping power.
    I'm open to advice. (And no, I can't afford to build one of each.)

14. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

the faster the bullet is moving the flatter it will fly, thats why i like the 24" for long range. the military likes the 18" for its weight and protability. it was my mistake for not saying any thing about the chrome lineing in my OP.

I guess my real question is.

Is a bull barrel worth the extra weight, as far a accuracy is concerned? I know that bull barrels are good if firing shot after shot for accuracy, but for simple cold bore shots does it really matter.

To the guy wanting to hunt with an AR, .223 will drop any thing u want it to with the proper shot placement. If u have an accurate rifle go for head or neck.
    There is nothing wrong with .223 for deer, a .22lr will take a deer out to 100 yards, I don't recommend doing that but it can.

15. TacticalPrecision

TacticalPrecision New Member

Actually the research on barrel length has been done already, you can probably just google something like...Barrel length 18 vs 24 and find it directly

What the gentleman in it said was that he was firing with precision at long ranges from a bolt action rifle with a 20 inch+ barrel and then had the barrel shortened to 18 inches and noticed no reduction in accuracy at average ranges of less than 1000 yards.

Obviously if you're shooting over 1000 yards you want all that you can get out of the round and you need that length but on your platform you wont need that. IN some cases a longer barrel can have the opposite effects on smaller bullets, making the harmonic wave at the barrel tip more exaggerated since there is more room for it to move top to bottom and never exceed barrel flex tolerances.

I'm not sure how to reference this in a practical example..kind of like when you're on a shorter diving board it will flex less than a longer one, or rather it will Flex at the same rate but seem like its flexing more because it can acheive a greater angle at the same curve. Same idea just in a barrel. All the Fluting and spiraling and all that they do is to reduce the flex on a barrel that NEEDS to be that long, but if you can do it with an 18inch it will naturally be more stable and then add in the extra effects and you increase stability further.

To the gentleman wanting to deer hunt, in some places a .223/5.56mm is Illegal to Deer Hunt with as it is too small a round, here in KS it's a .240 at minimum.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  16. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

I can understand that too, but aesthetics play a part in my decision as well.

An 18" barrel would look down right silly in my set up

[​IMG]

17. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

Any one got a link for just the barrel for the Bushmaster Varminter.

Its an extra heavy 24" fluted carbon barrel that many are claiming 1/4moa out of.

I just can't find a link for one. Bushmaster website has it but only available with there float tube too which I don't need.

18. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

While I think it's stupid, in Georgia you can legally use a .22lr for deer.

19. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

better check again, as far as i know all rimfire are outlawed for deer in all states:(

20. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

never mind i found one, this is what i am going to try, if it works i can sell my barrel for what that one cost, i will just have it threaded before its installed

http://www.pkfirearms.com/Bushmaster_Barrels/62/c