looking for ideas

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by jjfuller1, Jun 14, 2012.

1. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

so i have a fun shoot coming up and i have a bunch of great targets. however, im lacking a few. i have the usual paper, hanging steel, and clays. ive also discovered yard sale knick knacks are great things to destroy. i want to have some targets that go boom when you hit them. i was thinking like milk jugs or something. from your exprience what container filled with what item makes the biggest jump and splash/spray show when shot? we will be using AR's and .22lr all types. at distances from 10 to 100yrds

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

2. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

Cheap bottles of store brand soda. Just shake them when you set them up. I like orange or red soda they make the best display.

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

look no further ;) http://www.tannerite.com/

4. XxChino13xX

XxChino13xX New Member

Just about every weekend when we go out shooting, a buddy of mine usually brings out several pounds of tannerite. It never gets old, needless to say lol.

5. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

thought about it. after watching the videos its looks to be a bit louder and more powerful than what im going for. i think i'll try the soda can idea.

any others out there?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  6. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

Try the two liter bottles too. For the evening there's always cylume sticks!

7. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

Whatever target you use, try to be considerate of others and take your trash with you when you leave. More and more shooting areas are getting trashed by the targets left behind.

You have to be careful with exploding targets. Recently two huge range fires started by exploding targets burned more than 800 acres near here. The shooters responsible for this will be charged for the cost of putting the fire out. Gallon jugs filled with water explode pretty good. When they are filled with jello they fly apart even better.

8. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

I agree whatever you use take trash bags.!

9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

oh i always pick up. this is going to be at my sisters's private property. i never thought of jello, i might try some bottles of that.

10. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Doubling and tripling cans makes fun ballistics comparisons.

It's even better when you can use plastic bottles and cans

doubled up inside each other. Add sand, water, jello, to

your preference.

Save any and all junk-mail stickers. They make great

aiming references, and bullet hole covers...

11. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

shaving cream is pretty impressive when it pops, some of those small yogurt cups, the little 6 or 8 ounce soda cans work well too. i'm always a big fan of just a plain empty beer or pop can, it's always fun to use bullets to chase it around the range

you can always hit the produce aisle, pick up some apples, oranges, melons of any type or size

12. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Empty soda cans/bottles filled w water or some such liquid. Old aerosol cans of like spray paint or air Freshener. Fill up used oil filters w water then shoot them.

13. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Well the shoot is July 7th. Looks like i have some shopping to do

14. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Don't forget charcoal briquettes, great for bbq or shooting

15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Old fire extinguishers from 100 yards are fun...

16. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I went shooting yesterday morning and i go to an outdoor public shooting range and i brought bags of fruit. Oranges, apples a couple of cantelope and a coconut filled with tannerite. And the coconut was a joke it really didnt do anything other than crack into a few pieces. I even plugged the hole with a spent 7.62 casing to make a seal and it didnt work to good. But a couple of water bottles full of that stuff is a good time. Hitting those bottles make a good size boom. And there is no mess at all. The birds and squirells will eat all the fruit and pick up is done.

17. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I agree with produce. I had a great time shooting a watermelon and a pumpkin. Eggs. Soda cans.

18. okdonk

okdonk New Member

My wife is a part owner of a restaurant. She used to keep me those empty beer bottles. I had fun shooting them on an abondoned land, close to desert.