Looking for hunting/personal protection gun?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Billdogge, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Billdogge

Billdogge New Member

Looking for a good whitetail gun that also could double as in home pertection gun that. Any info would be a big help. Is a .327 mag big enough?

Thanks

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use anything under a .357. I'd recommend a good .357 or better yet a .44 mag for deer and load it with .44 specials for defense use. A .41 mag would be perfect but the ammo is hard to find. Are you planning on reloading for it?

3. Billdogge

Billdogge New Member

wouldn't mind reloading in the future. what's a good 357 to start with? what barrel length should i be looking at?

thanks again

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

If you are looking to hunt don't buy a snubby. I have a S&W 586 with a 6 inch barrel. Great gun. 4 inch barrel is good for defense. Not sure about hunting with a 4" though. Someone with more hunting experience is sure to share some wisdom.

5. stalkingbear

I'd recommend at least a 6" barrel in a S&W L frame or a Ruger GP100.

6. Billdogge

Billdogge New Member

7. stalkingbear

The reason for a longer barrel for hunting is the sight radius. The longer the sight radius (within reason) the more precise you'll be able to place your shots.

8. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

You are looking for a revolver, suitable for whitetail deer hunting in upstate
    NY and also suitable for home protection? (NOT concealed carry)

A few questions.

What range would a typical whitetail be taken at? (Brushy, stand shooting,
    open fields?)

What's your experience level with revolvers? Likes and dislikes? Preference
    for double or single action? How well do you shoot open sights?

Who else might use it for home protection? Can they handle recoil?

What kind of money do you want to spend?

My first thought would be a Ruger Redhawk with the integral scope
    mount cuts. Or a 44 Blackhawk if you like single action. Not a HUGE
    Ruger fan, but they do make good solid guns at a reasonable price.

9. Billdogge

Billdogge New Member

the furthest i've ever shot a deer around where i hunt is about 50 yards.

ok with open sights but perfer scopes

would like to keep price under $600

what do you guys think of the taurus guns?

10. Billdogge

Billdogge New Member

also should i be looking at ported barrels?

11. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

I think you'd have to weigh the pros and cons of porting, usually if its a home defense gun, most home encounters typically happen when its dark and the flash from the porting would ruin your night vision, temporarily blinding you due to aforesaid flash.
    On the other hand, if you're going to get something of really heavy recoil for hunting and cant tame it too easily you might want to keep them in mind.
    Most of the revolvers under $600 that i see dont usually have ported barrels though.
    Taurus has decent hunting revolvers in 44 mag and 357 mag that wont break the bank, and I know fellas that hunt with the 6 inch models.

12. stalkingbear

I'd recommend against porting if the gun is going to double as a home protection firearm. The 1st time you fire it indoors you're going to do permanent damage to your hearing.

You should be able to get a Ruger GP100 or Redhawk for close to 600$ new and less used. Don't pass by a good used 1 as they're built like a tank and takes MANY thousands upon thousands of rounds to "wear out" and even then can be tuned up.

13. Billdogge

Billdogge New Member

Thanks again. I think I'm going to have to talk the wife into letting me get two pistols. Revolver for hunting/range and semi for personal pertection/range.

14. Billdogge

Billdogge New Member

Looked at a few revolvers today. It was nice having the knowledge you guys shared with me. I'll let you know what I end up purchasing.

thanks again
    Bill

15. cthompson54

cthompson54 New Member

All around revolver?

My personal choice is a S&W 329 PD. Mid 20oz makes it easy to carry but really leaves the hands sore when fired a lot. Handloading lets you shoot it more, anything around 200g-under 1000fps is the punishment threshold. Lighter bullets, less velocity, less pain. More of both more of all. I use a 320g LFNgc aroumd 950fps (Chrongraphed Very Painful!) for pig hunting. If you put a factory loaded 240g .44 mag in this you will a lot of whup ***! Load some .44 specials, 180-200g below 900fps and you can shoot more and have fun. I've shot a ported one but you have to get velocity up to get it to work better. All big bores are loud but mine stops the firing line when it goes off. Charlie T.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  16. Billdogge

Billdogge New Member

thanks for the info

17. stalkingbear

The man asked about a multi purpose handgun and IMO a 329PD is NOT a revolver for somebody that don't have some experience. It's a revolver you grow into due to the brutal recoil in "full house" loads. Yes it might be ideal for you but not for the original poster.

18. Billdogge

Billdogge New Member

Stalkingbear what moldel SW should I be looking at? Handled a SW (model 627 I think) from their performance center and it had the nicest trigger.Thanks for the help.

Bill

19. cthompson54

cthompson54 New Member

All around revolver?

Didn't mean to suggest you go out and buy a 329 to use as a dual purpose wheelgun. SBear is right on about the brutal recoil of the Scandiun/Titanium revolvers offered today. I've seen posts on other topics from others using them. Handle one in the gun shop and you'll be impressed with it's weight, handling and real nice trigger pull. Buy it and after the first trip to the range with a box of macho magnum rounds and you'll be sorry. Have seen a lot of these types in pawn shops offered with a slightly ussed box of ammo. Any good medium frame .357 will work great, 6" will shoot easier than a 4". Down here the Hogs are taking over the woods so we lean to .44s (or larger if you can handle it) when hunting. Some Hogs can take a good whack from a .44 and keep on trucking! Makes em really, really made though. Just a little overkill for personal protection. I've heard they some big Hogs out west in Texas. Anyone know for sure? Ct

20. stalkingbear

A 627 will work but I'd recommend a 29/629 in S&W or a Redhawk in Ruger as I'd want to have something bigger than a .357 as Cthompson stated. S&W performance Center guns are smooth as glass. They make a 629 that would be perfect for your purposes if you prefer S&W.

I'm pretty partial to Redhawks myself. I have a Redhawk with the 5.5" barrel and it's good for anything I ask it to do-good all around barrel length.