Looking for help identifying civil war era musket

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by kirk, Sep 12, 2009.

1. kirk

kirk New Member

Hello.
    I'm new to this forum so hope I'm OK asking this question in the right way.
    :confused:
    The musket is a 58 caliber.
    It has markings and stamps, but no names or dates.
    Pictures of the rifle and various stamps are in my album called "Musket Pictures"
    If anyone would venture to hazard a guess as to its value I would appreciate that as well.
    It hung in a house with heavy smokers for over 40 years, so has a layer of smoke residue.
    I haven't made any attempt to clean it for fear of ruining the patina.
    Guidance on what to do about that and if anything, how to would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance for any help anyone may be able to give.
    Sincerely,
    Kirk:)

2. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Where's the pics?

3. Justen.223

Justen.223 New Member

It's on his public profile view, off to the right. Nice looking bp might I add.

4. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Thanks.

It's an Austrian Lorenz.

5. Muzzleman

Muzzleman New Member

You might be right. But I think it might be two band enfield. The bayonet and the flip up rear ladder sights look like enfields. I have been wrong before............

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  6. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Look at the nose piece. It's a dead giveaway for a Lorenz. There's other differences but that nose piece says it all. Also another dead giveaway for the Lorenz is the bayonet has four sides not three.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  7. glockman55

glockman55 Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's 55.5" long, the barrel is 40.5" long..any ideas??

8. glockman55

glockman55 Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's been in the family for a long time, rumors date it back to a converted flint-loc, to cap.. 1776?? I doubt that but would like some info, I have had it apart, just some stamped marks, nothing recognizable to me.. the barrel was a silver color..

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  9. glockman55

glockman55 Member

I hope I'm not out of line by posting on your thread, I couldn't see starting a new one..

10. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Looks like a converted 1816.

11. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  12. rodent.22

rodent.22 New Member

Isn't the lockplate on the conversions usually stamped with the contractors name and year of modification ? My buddie's is stamped h. deringer 1828 on the lockplate.

13. Rex in OTZ

conversion stamp

Lets see if you can find that stamp? I dont think there is one the lock plate looks wrong, and the bottom sling loop is attached by a stud to the bottom the trigger plate instead of on the trigger bow, trailing edge looks pointed and the two examples I found on DGW dont quite look rite.
    The top is a converted 1816
    your ?? Gun
    the Lorenz
    US 1840
    US 1822
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_1822_Musket
    Like the Model 1816, the Model 1822 was a .69 caliber smooth bore flintlock, with a 42 inch barrel and an overall length of 58 inches. One of the most noticeable differences in the Model 1822 is the attachment of the lower sling swivel. The forward part of the trigger bow was provided with an enlargement which was drilled to receive the sling swivel rivet. Previously, the sling swivel had been affixed to a stud in front of the trigger bow.
    Springfield musket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  14. Rex in OTZ

muzzle band

The swale type muzzle band showed up on the 1835 and after models 1840 & 1842 that are missing from the 1816 and 1822.
    The ?? gun has that same sling loop stud of the 1816 so is it a 1816 with a later model muzzle band (1835-1842) with a .58 cal barrel (note the .69cal muzzle band?)

What you have is a 1816 stock and sling stud into the stock/triggerguard, a .69cal 1835-1842 muzzle band device and a .58cal CW era barrel.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011