looking for good online gunsmith course?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by caleb, Oct 11, 2011.

1. caleb

caleb New Member

I'm looking to take an online gunsmithing course, i would rather get an associates degree but curently live to far from any school that offers the program so i am looking for advice on which online courses offer the best training and credentials

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

AGI (American Gunsmith Institute).

3. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

How would you rate it?

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

No on-line course is as good as in-resident.

AGI has a lot going for it if you are limited to on-line study. They also have a periodical that they send out monthly if you become a member. The periodical is a collection of inputs from other 'smiths.

If you have a vo-tech school in your area that offers shop class, take it. Learning to run a lathe or milling machine by an on-line course is a little difficult.

5. HalsellArms

HalsellArms New Member

Yep absolutly AGI is the way to go if you cant get into a trade school. Im taking it now and just having a great time and Im learning a ton of cool stuff. Its also at your own pace so if you dont have time this month to do your courses you can pick it back up and its no big deal. Check them out and get you the free itro pack and it will explain everything. Youll be glad you went that route. Good luck.

6. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Which course did you take? The mill and lathe I'm familiar with, as I've ran both machines before years ago. I'd have to get back in the swing of it, but I have some experience with them in precision machining.

7. HalsellArms

HalsellArms New Member

Im still involved with it. Its taking some time due to my schedual. But I got the enhanced master course. Comes with a truck load of tools, a small lathe, drill press, ect plus machine shop and welding courses. well worth the investment. Try to watch out for the deals that come around every few months. Usualy during holidays and such. Got mine for about 2K cheaper.

8. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Sounds good. Thanks for the info.

9. caleb

caleb New Member

thanks for the info thats exactly what i was looking for

10. zeke73

zeke73 New Member

I also can't leave for a school but is interested in smithing for side work or later a suplamental for after ret. so I tried the AGI practical gunsmithing course to see if it would work for me and found it to be indepth and easy to follow their format and do plan on up gradeing to a higher level. Plus their vidios on disassembly and reassemble are great if you can't follow it and take apart and put back together the gun you probly shouldn't be working on them. I would rate it very good.

11. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

I'll second that!!

I'll add one thing. When you take apart a weapon for the first time, Take Pics of EVERY Step.
    That way if you get distracted by something before you can reassemble it,
    you'll easily be able to refer back to your pics to see where you left off.

And for those who say they can't get distracted...just wait until your hottie next-door neighbor accidently sets fire to her kitchen and runs out nekkid ;)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
    SWSinTN likes this.