Looking for good battle rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by suvivalistandguns, Sep 7, 2010.

1. suvivalistandguns

suvivalistandguns New Member

So I am looking for a HK-91 rifle without the HK-91 price tag. Is there anyone that could give me any good suggestions. I have heard good and bad things about a few brands out there but just wanting other peoples opinions

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

[​IMG] maybe

How about hoping on over to the intro section and tell us a little about yourself. Thanks.

3. suvivalistandguns

suvivalistandguns New Member

Nope

I am not a spammer. I really do need help figuring out what gun to buy?

4. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Check FN-FAL supposed to perform better actually (though not as nice looking).

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Again how about introducing yourself? Might be the polite thing to do.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I prefer the HK over the FN-FAL. You can expect to pay over $2k for a real German HK. The US made PTR-91 is a good alternative at about $1000. I believe they are made on genuine HK tooling. The PTR's have a very good reputation.

A step down (to many people) would be the CETME. These are actually the predecessors to the HK's and have many interchangeable parts. Century Arms CETME's are kind of hit or miss. If you find one that is built right, you have a good shooter. If is is built wrong, it will be a PITA.

7. Joshua M. Smith

Joshua M. Smith New Member

Just get an SKS, fit it with Tech-Sights if you're so inclined, sight it in at 100yds, toss it in the trunk and call it a day.

Keep it loaded with something using the Uly 8m3 "effect" bullet. This is the only Russian bullet I know that actually does what a hollowpoint is supposed to do. In fact, inside 100 yards, it will usually frag as the original 5.56x45 was intended to do.

It wounds all out of proportion to the bullet. I've seen hogs shot that had a fist sized wound channel most of the way through.

Almost like a varmint bullet on a .30 caliber platform.

You'll only spend a few hundred dollars compared to a grand or more, and you'll have a gun meant to stand up to the abuses of semi-trained peasants who were conscripted.

I do not believe the FAL or AR-15 would be as durable. More accurate, yes... but what's your intended use?

Josh

8. orangello

orangello New Member

^^^ I agree on loving the SKS. You can get a more tacticool stock from tapco & some detachable magazines that hold 20 rounds each. If you are looking for a scope-holder, it might not be your best choice, but opinions vary on that. Personally, i am quite fond of the integrated bayonet/monopod.

Century has a FAL model that was available from Classicarms.us until last week; i'd bet your favorite FFL could find you one (were $650 at Classic).

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Another vote for the SKS here. I have the Tapco T6 compliance kit. Great rifle. I have three 20 round mags and a 30 round mag for it.

10. robocop10mm

Trying not to sound snooty here...An SKS is not a battle rifle. I consider a battle rifle to be a self loading FULL POWER rifle. 7.62 X 51 or larger to qualify.

11. Joshua M. Smith

Technically, you are right.

A main battle rifle is chambered in a full power cartridge.

An assault rifle is has a pistol grip stock, is select fire, fires an INTERMEDIATE cartridge (7.92x33, 7.62x39, 5.65x39, 5.56x45), has a detachable magazine, and is designed around combat at less than 300 yards.

The SKS is not strictly in either of these categories. However, its direct predecessors, the AVS-36 and SKS-41, were most definitely MBRs as they were chambered in 7.62x54r. Because the SKS was just a rechamber of the the SKS-41, I do tend to classify it closer to MBR status than assault rifle.

I do not believe the target would know the difference between a 7.62x54r and 7.62x39 inside 200 yards.

This is why I ask the purpose behind the rifle. If it's just for plinking or defense, go with the 7.62x39. If it's for any other reason, ie long range shooting ( >300yds), nostalgia, etc, then definitely go with the FAL or HK.

Better yet, the long range stuff would be best served with a heavy barreled M700 Remmy or M70 Winny in .308 or .30-'06... maybe even .25-'06 if logistics are not a bit concern.

Josh

12. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

M1A all the way......................

Jim..

13. robocop10mm

I disagree. Using that mentality. The AR15 is an MBR because it is a "rechambered" AR-10. The AVS-36 Simonov used a longer receiver and a different locking mechanism. I find no reference to an SKS-41. I find a PTRS-41 Anti tank rifle designed by Simonov.

14. Joshua M. Smith

Hello,

sks

I'm working on finding you a picture. It was a prototype.

How would YOU classify the SKS? A transitional arm?

Josh

15. robocop10mm

I suppose the SKS could be classified as an intermediate carbine, similar in concept to an M-1 carbine (albeit in a superior caliber). It does not fit the bill for an Assault Rifle (no detechable mag as designed, no select fire option). It does not fit the MBR label as it is chambered in an intermediate caliber.

I would not even call an M-2 Carbine an assault rifle as the caliber is less of a rifle caliber and more of a sooped up handgun cartridge.

16. Rockyrules

Rockyrules New Member

ooooooooooooo

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  17. therewolf

therewolf New Member

OK, well, we'll just do it here, then.

Hi Survivalistandguns, Welcome to FTF.

What is your intended purpose for this

"battle rifle"?

Because while they're fine in their own right,

they can be a little cumbersome, miserable, and downright

relatively inaccurate.

Is it for a BOB? SHTF? Plinking? Range use? Hunting?

The HK91 costs a lot of money for a reason.

If it wasn't worth it, the company that makes it

would be out of business. If somebody made the

same gun cheaper, don't you think we'd all be buying

it, instead of the KH91?

What kind of range time do you have in what calibers?

Do you shoot a MOA? Did you have a specific caliber in

mind? Why do you like it?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  18. Snubshooter

Snubshooter New Member

If I remember right, HK 91s are out of production, with HK using I think G3 as its replacement in the lineup. I've shot the 91, G3, FAL and M14(or M1A variant) alot, and like them all. The roller lock in the HK makes shooting a lot of 308 fast, pleasant with the FAL not far behind. The M14 (or M1A) is still my sentimental Favorite and overall cost is a plus.

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Well, I must say your silence is very reassuring, OP.

Try J&G sales, they have cheap G3 types.

20. Joshua M. Smith

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011