Looking for good 45

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by supertech1158, Jun 2, 2012.

1. supertech1158

supertech1158 New Member

I have an old S&W 645 that I love but its kind of an heir loom and Im looking to retire it before anything breaks. So im in the market for a new similar 45. I like american made and I love the way my 645 shoots. Any suggestions on any 45s out there that are similar? Accuracy and reliability are very important to me

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Thinking along the lines of a 1911?
    Like S&W?
    Check out a S&W 1911 :cool:
    Even with the external extractor its a super sweet shooter IMO :)

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Step up, The Colt Gold Cup;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Dan Wesson or Colt would be good starting points. If you're price sensitive you might do well to hunt down one of the new Rugers. The S&W 1911s are very good pistols, they just don't do it for me.

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Oouuuhhh, Gold Cup... Nice! :D

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Colt, Remington, Springfield Armory, Ruger( if you can find one! ), Dan Wesson, RIA, Metroarms, and many others. your only limitation is your wallet!

once you buy a 1911, go ahead and plan on the next one. most who own them, are never happy with just one of them.

there are so many choices when it comes to the 1911 platform, caliber choices, barrel lengths, frame sizes, finishes, features, ect., ect.,....
    there are so many different options, parts and accessories available for them that a person cna make one truly their own and very different from everyone else's 1911.

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Smith and Wesson did a run of .45 ACP revolvers not too long ago. Believe they were model 25s. So, you could get an updated version of a gun you already like.

8. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Buy a 1911.

The remaining high quality/best option 45acp's are almost exclusively foreign made, polymer, or both.

And I don't discount either, personally. Most of the polymer staples (Glock, Springfield, S&W, FN) are excellent guns. And Sig (foreign) probably offers up the best metal framed non-1911 in 45acp with their model P220. You'd probably enjoy owning one. But it seems that you want a domestic, metal-framed, tried and tested 45acp...and that translates to 1911 eight days a week.

9. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

CZ, Ruger, and SigSauer all make a very similar one.

Ruger costs the least.

Sig costs the most.

CZ is in between.

They shoot in that order also.

10. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

The problem with the 1911's is that they are only single action, which is very primative. Like having a single action only revolver.

11. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Yeah, but the slide cocks the hammer after every shot, so other than having it cocked and locked its just like a double action. Plus it makes for a great trigger pull.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

as usual you are incorrect. not primitive, proven! Ruger started making their own copy of the 1911 this year. CZ which owns Dan Wesson has been making some of the finest production 1911's on the market for several years now. SigSauer is also jumping into making their own copy of the 1911 now.

what's wrong with single action? what's wrong with single action revolvers? any idiot can shoot double action, it takes more skill to shoot with single action and make your shots count! another one of the most copied pistols, the Colt SAA revolver along with the 1911 45acp!

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

Edited: because my post was long winded and included personal jabs.

Shoobee, the two guns you mentioned are nothing alike except in the fact that the hammer has to be in the cocked position when the trigger is pulled for the gun to go bang. Go educate yourself.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well said Trip
    Edited cause Trip edited his cause he's a nice guy :)

15. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Well ifyou want to open up the floor to lots of other .45ACP guns, then yes, the 1911 is a good solid design to be run by folks who appreciate a good pistol, but don't buy cheap, you may like it, but you'll want more out of it.

Glock's model 21 and 21 slim frame are very solid in reliability and accuracy. Some folks don't like the rigger or grip angle.

S&W makes their M&P that is sometimes a better fit for smoe peoples hands.

FN makes a decent .45 auto, but it can be kind of big.

H&K makesa decent one, but parts and accessories are expensive, and sometimes their customer service to non-agencies leaves something to be desired.

Sig's 220 is a good solid pistol if you like DA/SA, but again mags are pricey. They have some excellent 1911 models as well.

16. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

???
    I'm really hoping that you simply expressed yourself poorly. Otherwise, that would have to one of the more ignorant statements I've seen regarding the 1911 platform.
    Please clarify what appears to be a really horrible misrepresentation of reality.

17. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I can't believe anyone thought that, much less actually said it. Just because something has been around a long time doesn't mean it is primitive. The 1911 was and is simply a great design. There have only been a few improvements made over the last 100 years. Simplicity is sometimes a good thing.

18. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I feel you-
    I still have to turn the key to start the internal combustion engine in my new truck :(
    Dam old antique design :mad:

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I got the 1911A1. I liked it.

I got the 92FS. I liked it.

Then I got thinking, wouldn't a .45ACP

with the DA/SA and decocker safety be

great?

Then I found the SS-S&W 645. Granted, it's an

older design, but it shoots great, and has the

features I want.

I haven't found anything to compare to it since.

The S&W 4506 is similar, but newer, with 1-piece grips.

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

Many of the posts he's made have been horrible misrepresentations of reality.