looking for first carry weapon recommendation

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by jwalsh66, Jul 4, 2013.

1. jwalsh66

jwalsh66 New Member

I'm looking for a recommendation for a good carry .45 I've always loved 1911's but are afraid they are a little too big to conceal properly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

You would be surprised. A full size 1911 is not as difficult to conceal as you would think.

3. msup752

msup752 New Member

I concur. 1911 is a single stack and the longer barrel hides well with an IWB holster. It is heavy though.

I have a Glock 30. It has a shorter grip and barrel but is fatter.

4. ScottA

It's the heft that is the reason I don't typically carry it, not the concealability. Thus the reason I regularly carry my Kahr PM9.

5. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Playing around, I found it's really not that hard to conceal a full sized 1911. For me the weight is a bigger issue than the actual size. That said, I carry a DW CCO . I find it to be a good compromise. The 3" 1911s never really appealed to me that much. There are a number of bob-tail commanders out there too. There is no shortage of good carry 1911s in the world. However, some of the better carry options start getting expensive quickly.

You might want to visit this thread as well: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/favorite-carry-45-a-91136/

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

factor in an aluminum framed 1911 Commander sized pistol and the weight goes down even more.

i think the choice of holster will factor into it quite a bit as well.

7. ScottA

But then you're adding a lot of recoil. Everything's a trade off.

8. Axxe55

my SA Micro Compact 45 has an aluminum frame and a stainless steel slide. 3" barrel. the recoil is different than my full size steel framed R1 1911 and my AC steel framed Commander, but it's not what i expected either. i expected much more recoil due to the weight and size. it's very easily controllable and not harsh by any means.

i agree that factoring in just the weight, as a rule, lighter weight pistols usually do have more felt recoil. but every pistol is going to be different.

9. jwalsh66

jwalsh66 New Member

I haven't been able to find many bob tails. I've been looking for awhile but can't seem to find many more than the s&w e series and the dw. If there are anymore that you guys know of please let me know. I also would appreciate some suggestions for in waistband holsters. Thanks for all the replies. I guess the weight would be an issue but I'm not sold on the aluminum frame guns. Sure you shed some weight but are they as reliable over the life of the gun? I'd think they would distort eventually. What about scandium that the e series s&w is made of?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  10. Axxe55

IIRC Kimber does offer some as well. just another option.

11. alwaysarmed

alwaysarmed New Member

If you are worried about size check out the para warthawg. I don't own one but looks like it could fit your needs.

12. jwalsh66

jwalsh66 New Member

I just checked out that warthog its a pretty slick weapon. And it holds 10 rounds. Even better. I just wish there were more options in the commander size with a bobtail from the factory. Anyone know of any besides s&w dw or kimber? Or how hard is it for a gunsmith to do that for me? How much would something like that run?

13. ALfiremedic1

ALfiremedic1 New Member

If I was trying to conceal, I would use my 1911 before I would use my glock. They are slim and single stack. I trust my 1911 over my glock with it comes to concealing

14. jwalsh66

jwalsh66 New Member

Yeah I have a strong distaste for glock. I've tried to shoot them but they are uncomfortable and recoil was terrible on the .40 I shot

15. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

I've found my Springfield XDs 45 a comfortable 45 to carry concealed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]