Looking for crosshair scope with magnifier under $350

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ccase39, Dec 3, 2013.

1. ccase39

ccase39 Member

I have a Vortex Strykfire and absolutely love it, but I would like something I could use to shoot accurately over 100yds. The red dot starts to cover the target more and more the further I get past 50yds. I would like to keep it under 350 bucks. I like the smaller scopes and am not a huge fan of the longer ones on an AR. Recommendations?

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Shouldn't need a separate magnifier. Just a regular scope. I like Nikon Buckmaster scopes. A 3-9x should work fine. They also make a .233 version with hold over marks for .233 rounds or you can use a program on Nikons website to make a range card for hold-overs.

4. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

What about something like this
    http://www.slickguns.com/product/nikon-p-223-riflescopes-14999-free-shipping

Then get a nice QD mount from LaRue or elsewhere for about 120 dollars and you save a hundred bucks or so.

5. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

For $299 check out the Leoupold AR Mark1 . I just bought one today after shooting a friends.

6. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

In the $150-350 price range, I've been pretty impressed with Nikon and Vortex. I actually currently have a $180 Nikon ProStaff 2-7x32 mounted on a $1600 AR that I set up specifically for shooting 100-250 yards. Some would call that blasphemy, and I probably will upgrade at some point...but I really have no complaints about its performance.

I'm sure there are plenty of other good options, but those two in particular have impressed me for budget options.

7. ccase39

ccase39 Member

8. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

for the price nikon makes a pretty good scope. Do you have a Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse, or some kind of large box gun store in your area to look through them?

9. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Some Burris scopes are branded as Pentax. Search google for Pentax scope reviews. You will find out which Pentax scopes are made by Burris and which ones are Chinese junk that is comparable to a Simmons.

I have fixed power 4x scopes on several of my guns including my 270. 4x fixed power scopes suck for target shooting but they are great for hunting. 4x fixed power scopes deliver instant target acquisition from 3 yards to 300 yards. Many high end target scopes are 16x or higher fixed power scopes.

11. ccase39

ccase39 Member

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  12. ccase39

ccase39 Member

Nah, there is a Bass Pro about 70 miles away but I am not driving all the way over there without doing some research first. I have an Acadamy but all they have is the big scopes like you would see on a deer rifle.

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Your going to have a problem getting this done with any scope unless you go to a pistol scope with more eye relief. Or it will never sit far enough forwards to get the buis to come up behind it. Will be fine on 1x but the first time you go to zoom it to 3-4x you won't have a picture through it
    Im using the Primary Arms mount . Cheap and works great . I have a couple of them

14. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you want a scope and back-up sights you may want to consider really running them as separate systems. I'd look at a quick detach mount. I set up an upper for a friend that had an American Defense QD mount. If the scope failed, it came off quickly and the rear sight could then be flipped up.

15. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I agree , I have BUIS that sit under my scope , a couple turns on each knob of the mount and the scope comes off . If you want to have both usable all the time I would go to a offset buis . Thats truly the only way to make them both usable at that very moment

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. ccase39

ccase39 Member

What kind of mount do you recommend?

17. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

18. Beees

Beees New Member

I also have the voetex strikefire with the same problem.I have bought a Burris 536 which is a 5x power and it works with the illumination on or off.very good in bright sunlight and calibrated out to 300 yards for 556 .:)
    Wish the eye relief was longer~~ but happy with it