looking for concealed firearm

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by falseharmonix, Aug 19, 2010.

1. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

I'm in Illinois, but can get a Florida or Utah non-resident CCW. This purchase will be a few months away, maybe even in 2011.

However, are there any 1911 frame guns that are similar in dimension to the Kimber Ultra CDP II? I've gotten to test drive one at my local range, and its a sweet ride. I just don't have that kind of money. I was hoping for something in the $500 - 600 range, but cheaper is fine too :cool:

2. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

also, id prefer it to be a .45

3. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

A lot of the 1911 guys on these boards mention Rock Island as a really good value that fits your price point. Next to a Kimber it'll look pretty plain by comparison, but RIA does offer affordable commander (4 - 4.25") framed 1911s.

Even in the used market it's tough to get ahold of an excellent condition name brand commander model for under $700. Demand seems to keep the prices strong.

4. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

Looks are the least of my concerns. Size is what I'm looking for, because I am not a big guy (5' 8", 165#), and hiding a big gun on my person is not easy.

I'll be checking out the used market as well, not opposed to something used.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

False, is this your first 1911?

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Rock Island makes Commander and Officer sized models and I've owned some of both. Good solid basic guns. Personally, if I were to carry a 1911, I'd want an alloy frame as weight is more critical to me than the relative size. As far as I know, you'll have to move up to Kimber, Colt, or Springer to get a small alloy framed 1911. Toting around 2 pounds of gun during the hot Georgia summers - sucks.

I love 1911s, but I do not carry one - I carry a Kahr P9 (or a Sig 238 in my pocket)...

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Buy your jeans a little larger in the waist and use an IWB. I'm 5'11", about 195, and that seems to work for me. (but the full size m1911a1 is not my carry-all-the-time).

8. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

it will be, yes.

9. Old Sarge

Old Sarge New Member

You might look into a Browning Hi-Power. I"m 5'7" 200#, and wear it very well IWB, with a Milt Sparks VM2. It's heavy, but with a pair of Perry suspenders, everything goes well.

10. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

Thanks, but I'm looking for something in .45

11. freefall

freefall New Member

I think an Officers frame mated to a Commander slide is the ideal carry pistol. (My Kimber Compact) ;) I recently heard that S&W is making one out of their Scandium alloy, I'll bet it's lovely but not cheap. Do any of the reasonably priced manufacturers make such a piece? I just saw a Springfield EMP .40 at Sportsmans, it was nice but it took all but a Big Mac out of a $1000 bill.

12. notamoocher

notamoocher New Member

Lot of fine 45"s not 1911

First a friend of my has the Kimper(very nice) but several fine double action 45s are out there. The new cougar is nice and price is about right. I would expand the search some. You might also decide what type of holster you like first, some guns like certain holsters more than others.

PS do you need or want a light rail?

13. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

I'm looking for a 1911, not just a .45.

As for buying the holster first, isn't that a bit backwards? Seems to me you'd want to find the gun that fits your hands, then get the holster to make it work.

I'm not looking for any special gizmos (lights, lasers, optics, etc). Just want a slim and compact 1911 in .45, and I want it to go "boom" every time I pull the trigger.

14. Angry_bald_guy

Angry_bald_guy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm going to start sounding like a parrot, but Rock Island Compact.

15. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

I checked out Rock Island's website....talk about un-informative. They don't really give any size specs on the guns. I've heard of the reliability of RIA, and am certainly not opposed to picking one up. I'd like to have some specs though before I drop dough.

Geeze Cane, like colts much? :cool: Some of those are very sweet looking, and would probably fit the bill for the dimensions I want. But if I'm going to go for a higher-dollar gun I'd probably end up with a Para or Kimber. However I'm rather fond of the looks of the Colt Defender. Would want to put it in my hands before I picked up anything.

There is a gun show this weekend in town, I'll see if I can find anything that strikes my fancy.

16. sebbie

sebbie New Member

just a smile

Old Sarge you made my day. I am 5'1" 115 and my Hi-Power is my best friend. A girl can drape clothes all kinds of ways well enough to hide Dirty Harry's magnum is she wants too.;) Of course keeping the body muscles well tuned helps with the weight. I never though of suspenders though. Do you have to wear a blouse with those?