looking for ccw revolver any ideas?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by duddie10, Jun 8, 2013.

1. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

Never owned a revolver yet. Shot a few smiths in 357mag would like to get somthing along those lines. Also any good every day hoslters?

2. Jtelli71

Jtelli71 New Member

I don't own any revolvers (yet) but I have some friends that love their ruger sp101's and ruger lcr's. As for holsters, I have for my autos, crossbreed, n82 and mika. There are so many holster choices out there it's mind bending... Good luck.

3. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

Thanx just stopped at cabelas guna take a look at the rugers.

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

5. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Ruger LCR has a fantastic trigger, but don't plan on actually shooting 357 out of it. It is just too light for the recoil. I found I had to adjust my grip after each shot. That would probably be true for any of the really lightweight revolvers. That's not something I would want to deal with in a situation where my life depended on it.

An SP101 is about as small and light that I would recommend if you plan on 357.

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I love Ruger myself. I own a bunch of them. But I also own an original S&W586. It is a 357 mag. They are now selling the 686 brand new again. It is the stainless version. They are supposed to be great for IDPA. I would look at one of those in a 4 inch. If you are looking for a snubby, the 642 is a really good gun. I have one that I sometimes carry in a pocket holster. You can forget that it is there. Blackhawk makes a really nice leather holster for the snubbies. It is outside the waistband. The front of the holster is split. There is an elastic band that holds the gun rearward. The trigger guard provides the retention. It is an excellent holster. Mine is left handed.

Attached Files:

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I still carry a S&W Mdl 36- BUT- as we have said before- go find a range that rents guns to shoot on the range. And remember that the most effective gun is the one you are wearing- and not the one left at home because it was too bulky or too heavy.

Many of the "weighs less than the dust in the air around it" type handguns HURT to shoot.

If I chose a revolver today it would be stainless, and have a bobbed hammer or be hammerless. .357 is a good choice- you have options with ammo.

Holsters? HAH! You will accumulate holsters like your significant other accumulates purses and shoes! Depends on how you are comfortable carrying. It should have good retention, protect the trigger, and be easy for YOU to get the gun out. I have at least a footlocker full of different holsters.

8. txpossum

txpossum New Member

My choice would be a short barreled Model 19. Second choice would be a Ruger SP 101 or GP 100 -- if you didn't want to shoot 'em you could beat 'em to death with it.

A plastic revolver is just WRONG.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  9. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I liked the Model 36, had one for years, wish I still had one.

10. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

I like the rugers cabelas only had then im 38+p. I also fell in love with the smith 686. Not a carry gun for me just seems like a real good solid range gun. I think theres still alot of looking and resurch to do. Keep tue responces coming. Thanx alot guys!!

11. SWIll

SWIll New Member

I carry a S&W 638, the airweight bodyguard model. It works well. .357 out of an airweight is brutal. The .38 special round in +p is an excellent self defense round. Don't get caught up in 'having' to have a .357. I also occasionally carry a snub nose model 10, an excellent six shot k-frame. Revolvers are excellent carry options; reliable, sturdy, and have a certain romance..........

12. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

I think ur right the more i read the more a 357 is kinda a harsh caliber for a short barrel revolver. I think im guna start look deeper into the 38s and the 38+p.

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

The nice thing about a .357 though is you have the option to shoot either caliber out of it. A .38 is more limited. A 686 is a terrific gun, and if you can find it in a snubby, that'll cut down on weight a lot, but will still be heavy enough to comfortably shoot .357s out of it.

If you can find an older K frame in .357 for a decent price, like a model 19 or a 66, I say snatch it up and don't look back.

Or you could put some thought into the .327 Federal Magnum. It's supposed to be similar ballistically to the .357, and you can shoot 5 different calibers out of it. Talk about versatility! An example would be the S&W 632.

Also, the .327 allows six shots in a smaller package. A frame size which would only allow 5 .357s would hold 6 .327s.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  14. JW357

JW357 New Member

Btw, the weight of a handgun is largely negated by a good holster and belt. Even a heavy ole 686p in a 4" barrel could be concealable with a good holster and belt combo.

15. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I'm blessed to have been able to pick up a used S&W J-frame "Ladysmith", Model 60, 5-shot revolver back in about 1997. It has "Ladysmith" etched into the frame and I have always felt that "real" men probably wouldn't carry anything with "lady.." on it. It is a serious piece of hardware and you may be able to find one at a slight discount, if you look around, because as I said, "real" men would never....

16. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

Really? Never herd of the 327. Thats real cool you can shoot 5 different calibers. I do like the model 66. I was just reading about them. Now what kinda holster is good. Kydex lether?. Ive never carried conceled before so this whole thing is new. Idk if im goin alittle much for my first.

17. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

This is my Performance Center Talo Edition 642. Buttery smooth trigger and very manageable in .38+p. I really like this gun and it virtually disappears in my front pocket with a cheappie Blackhawk holster.

Attached Files:

18. JW357

JW357 New Member

http://www.chuckhawks.com/327_federal.htm

And here's a good informative video on its calibers:

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea5AEp6kV_Y[/ame]

I'm not sure about holsters for a revolver yet. Wouldn't wanna hurt the finish! Personally I have an Old Faithful holster for my S&W M&P9c, but its a poly gun so I don't mind having a kydex holster. Not sure if Old Faithful makes anything for revolvers, but they're good holsters. You can buy a kit for half the price and you assemble it yourself. Saves you about half the cost. Btw, it's a hybrid IWB holster.

I just bought a 66-2, 2.5" barrel myself. LOVE this gun. Such a sweet shooter. I haven't decided if I'm gonna carry it or not, but I'm certainly entertaining the idea.

image-3624173159.jpg

image-2553672027.jpg

image-3993378239.jpg

19. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

That is a nice looking gun!! Thats exactly how i was thing of conceling.

20. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

WOW!! Im in love. Im guna keep my eye open for a 66.