Looking For Best Deals

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by RocketGuy, Aug 5, 2010.

1. RocketGuy

RocketGuy New Member

Hello,
    I will soon be purchasing my first firearm, and am looking for recommendations for finding the best prices.
    It will be a handgun if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Greg

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

3. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I see some of the best deals on a local classified forum online. It's a really good way to check out what's out there. The same could be said of pawn shops. In both cases, it's important that you know your way around the gun in question going in.

If you're brand spankin new: Do your share of internet research. Seek out opportunities with friends or at ranges to try as many guns as possible. And then ask those folks which local gun shop they prefer.

5. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

Beretta PX4 Storm...There research done.

6. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

In all seriousness I have always been one to support my local business. I know I can find a better deal somewhere online on everything from cigars to guns, but rather spend the few extra dollars at my local shop.

7. RocketGuy

RocketGuy New Member

Hi,
    I would like a new one, for home security and going to the range with my friends.
    Reliability is important as is accuracy.I like the looks and feel of a .45 1911 and would like to spend 1200 or less. Seems like you get a lot for your money with the Taurus and am considering one. But I also like the Kimber 1911's.

Thanks,

Greg

8. WDB

WDB New Member

Find a local range that rents pistols and shoot several to find what fits you best. What fits my use might not fit your need. Best to get hands on and find the pistol that will cover your needs. Your budget opens up a wide range of options but if the pistol doesn't fit your ability or need it will just be an expensive paper weight.

9. RocketGuy

RocketGuy New Member

Thanks Folks,

Cheers,

Greg

10. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

if your have the budget to spend $1000+ on a pistol then i highly suggest that you steer clear of Taurus. you could always get 2 Quality pistols for $1200 bucks. do your research. Take what people tell you with a grain of salt. we have the 1911 fans the xd fans and those in between. Like everyone says rent em, hold em, shoot em, its the best way.

11. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Well, heck, if you would like to keep it to 12 hundy or less...

There are many very well made 1911's in that price range, and many of them need no upgrading unless you want to do so. I got my Springfield Loaded 1911 for around $850. Sure it has adjustable sights, but changing those for a carry ready piece is not that much. That price range you are talking about, you can go with Kimber, Dan Wesson, Springfield, Smith & Wesson, Colt...the list goes on and on. If you look at Bud's Guns, you can get a good idea of what stuff is going for. Just so you know, if you take a print out of the Bud's Guns item to a Cabela's or Gander Mountain, they will match the price.

For the Taurus, yes you can get it for around 6 bills, but you may want to have some work done to make it into something you can get for $800-1K.

12. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

I use the online sites to get an idea of actual prices (vs. MSRP). My mom and pop local shop can hit those prices give or take $10-20. By the time you pay an FFL transfer, it's just as easy and cheap to order and buy it from someone you can talk to and that can help you should an issue arise.

Just my $0.02

13. NGIB

NGIB New Member

At your budget, I'd recommend a Springfield or a Colt. I'm not and never have been a Taurus fan as they have way to many QC issues. If you want a solid well equipped first 1911, it's hard to beat a Springer Loaded...

14. utf59

utf59 New Member

I just saw this site today on another forum: RiverOfGuns.com. It's a search engine for firearms for sale on forums.

If you check out a forum that's specific to your region, you'll get an idea of what a particular gun is going for in your area. With that knowledge, you can visit your local gun shop. Your shop might even be selling on that forum, and on gunbroker.com, and at local gun shows.

One of the sites mentioned earlier is the website for the shop where I often buy guns. Sometimes their web deals are better. Sometimes they have a good deal on gunbroker.com. They go to some of the local gun shows. And if they aren't at the gun show that's going on, they run a great sale to compete with the show.

Hold as many guns as you can, and shoot as many as you can, to get an idea of what you like. Do your research. If you want a 1911, do a lot more research. Enjoy all your time shopping and researching. And then enjoy your new gun.

15. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Add a couple of cents for me. This is the truth so help me God.

At our small shop I get calls a couple of times a week from someone wanting to FFL a new gun to us. We will not FFL in anything we can get ourselves. 9 out of 10 times I can deliver the same firearm for less money as the shipping is built into the price and so is the use of our FFL.

Support your local firearms dealer, it's the American way.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  16. MsVegas

MsVegas New Member

I agree with ScottA. I've bought several guns from Bud's and have not been dissapointed with any purchase. Price includes delivery too!

They have great prices and service as well.