looking for an opinion

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by stiletto407, Feb 5, 2010.

1. stiletto407

stiletto407 New Member

I don't know a lot about fire arms, that's why i am posting this.
    so i just inherited a WWII british jungle carbine .303 and i was thinking of trading or bartering it for a ar-15 style rifle. I like the ar - 15 style rifles but the carbine has a lot of history. I just wanted peoples opinions keep or sell, thanx

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  2. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

Did you have a question?

The Mark 5 Lee-Enfield jungle carbines do have some collectors value, but unless it is pristine, I doubt that you could trade even for an AR.

3. stiletto407

stiletto407 New Member

sorry i was not clear on the purpose of the post but i edited it maybe that will help

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I suspect you'd have to add quite a few $$$ to trade the Enfield for an AR...

5. stiletto407

stiletto407 New Member

well not a strait trade i know that perhaps i should have but barter instead of trade

6. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

A Mk.1 in very good condition can be had for $200.

If you find a generous buyer, you're looking at 2/3 of that amount.

Personally, I'd buy some ammo for it. Surplus for .303 is still available.

I'd take her to the range, give her a try. Good rifle.

7. stiletto407

stiletto407 New Member

thanx for the info sounds like its better just to keep it and have fun with it and buy the ar-15 separately

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If it is a genuine #5 in very good condition it does have value for a trade. There are alot of cut down copies out there that have little or no value. The Ishapore (India) cut downs are down right dangerous IMHO.

9. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Why? Not doubting you, of course, but I've not heard this before. What makes them dangerous?

10. stiletto407

stiletto407 New Member

I am pretty sure it is a genuine # no. 5 but how would i be sure

11. flyingbrickracing

flyingbrickracing New Member

From what I understand from one of the milsurp forums the Indian Enfields were made with whatever scrap that they could come up with making for questionable metalurgy(sp).

The problem was the locals that served with (under) the British were known to dissappear when the going got tough and take their rifles with them.

The Crown got tired of loosing expensive guns to deserters so they made inferior quality rifles to give the units most likely to desert.

12. stiletto407

stiletto407 New Member

wow thats really funny you seem to know the history pretty well so do you know how to tell if its slag or if its a genuine no. 5

13. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

Stiletto:

Try posting some photos of your "jungle carbine" in the Curio and Relic section of this forum. There are some very knowledgeable folks here that could give you an opinion on the value of your rifle.

I collect WW2 rifles, so if I had a genuine No. 5 in good condition, I'd keep it. But that is me, and it is up to you to do what you want.

The Enfields are fun guns to shoot. Buy some ammo and give it a shoot. "try it you may like it!".

Go to this website to get some info on your rifle and how to disassemble and clean it (you should clean it well before you shoot it).

Collecting and Shooting the Enfield No. 5 Mk 1 Carbine - HISTORY