Looking for an inexpensive .22lr rifle for a child

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by danf_fl, Dec 2, 2014.

1. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Semi Auto, for a young person.
    Any Suggestions?

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I was going to say a Cricket, but this must be beyond first 22.

Something with an adjustable stock that they can grow with. Maybe the Mossberg AR-22, or the Smith or Ruger in the same configuration. It depends upon your budget. Do you have a price range?

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Go to http://www.gunwatcher.com/ enter semi auto rifle 22lr in the text box then click search. The lowest price I saw was a mossberg 715 for $105. I did not check shipping or credit card fees. I got a page full of results for around $120. Once you decide what model you want I would search for that model. By just searching for semi auto rifle 22lr got hundreds of results. It would be hard to find the absolute best deal with that many results. Don't forget to add the FFL transfer fee.

I do not know if it is the lack or 22 ammo or black friday. Walmart has had good deals on 22 rifles lately. I have been looking for a deal on a tube fed 22 savage that will shoot 22 short, 22 long or 22 lr. Not to mention at some point ammo vendors will be giving away 20gr 22lr ammo.

4. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

$99 is a great start. I'd like to know how the full price compares with a local offering of a $199 Ruger 10/22.

I love PSA prices, but never sprung on a firearm. Just parts.

5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  7. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

My first rifle was a remington 597. It was picky about ammo until i ditched the plastic mags it came with and bought the steel ones. I would have rather had a 10/22 now that im older, but the 597 would be a nice cheap .22 for a kid. Good luck in your search.

8. SparkPlug

SparkPlug New Member

hard to go wrong with either the Marlin 60 or the Ruger 10/22 rifles. both inexpensive and both are excellent rifles for young or older shooters.

9. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I'm one of those hard headed types that fails to see the wisdom of a .22 semi auto for young shooters. With .22 ammo being sparse and/or expensive, as well as still rationed some places, a nice, inexpensive, slower shooting bolt action looks real good these days.
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFV
    YMMV.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Thanks for the inputs, but I failed to explain that it was not for me or my heirs.
    The customer was looking at price and the Mossberg seem to fit the bill.

I would prefer to start a child out with a bolt (magazine or single shot), but the customer is right.

11. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

We had a great many issues with the one 597 we had and ended up parting with it before a year was out. Not just ammo related--although there were plenty of those.

12. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

Yeah i sold mine too. Wasnt a big fan but you cant say it wasnt cheap lol. I think i paid $109 for it.

13. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I have a 702. Outside of issues with Crappy ammo( mine doesn't like Thunderbolts or Golden Bullets) it's a great Rifle( I Pd $137 at Wally last year). The 702 is a good Gun to get a youth Started. I'm teaching a few "Youths" on mine,..

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

14. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I bought a plinkster as a truck gun. I ditched it quickly. Aside of being ammo sensitive, it clipped the tip off the bullets. I bought it for around $120 including tax. In less than 9o days I sold it for $75.

I learned a lesson with the plinkster. All gun companies have a few outstanding models. If you are going to buy a gun buy one of the guns that are outstanding. Let someone else try out their other crap until it gets a good reputation.

15. 22Tommy

22Tommy New Member

Browning SA-22 isn't cheap like a 10/22 but it's something your kid will be proud to have and will want to keep beyond childhood.

16. Jason27

Jason27 New Member

The Marlin 795 and model 60 are 2 nice semi autos for the money can easily pick up for well under $200..

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  17. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

For a kids first .22?
    I have 4 children, the oldest had it the hardest learning, all I had were adult size rifles, the Marlin 110, Stevens 73Y, Ithica 49, Stevens model 30, all them good and accurate rifles its just not anything for small statured shooters to master.

After 25years the one rimfire I find my kids like to shoot with the best results was the Crickett rifle.
    the features I like are the light weight, short length of pull, peep sights, manual cocking bolt
    When teaching kids to shoot they have a tendency to have short attention spans, chambering a round in a single shot boltaction is as unaccidential as it gets, and add a manual cocking knob to that = you have to cock it to fire, means the slim chance of a excited kid popping a round in you or others around them.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014