Looking for an all metal 9mm compact?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by 9mmgun, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9mmgun

9mmgun New Member

Stopped by my LGS today & was pleasantly surprised to see the new Stoeger (Beretta) Cougar compact in the showcase. Ergonomics are excellent which is typical of Beretta (fit my hand very nicely). Comes with two Beretta made 13 rd mags. Fit & finish is also typical Beretta excellence. Being all metal it's not Polymer lite by any means but with it's compact size I see no problem using as a carry weapon. With Cougar proven reliability, accuracy, high quality workmanship & a NIB price of $369 Stoeger has another fantastic value handgun.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Did you buy it or is this a Stoeger commercial?

3. 9mmgun

9mmgun New Member

Since it's not Glock, Sig, HK or any of the other "Big Name Brands" I should keep my mouth shut?????

I'm just trying to make fellow gun enthusiasts aware of a new firearm that has just been released. I've owned both the Full sized 8000 (9MM) & the 8045 (.45), so I'm familiar with the outstanding value these firearms represent.

Isn't this forum here so that we can pass on information like this, to those that are interested in firearms, especially firearms that are new to the market?

4. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

We were just wondering if you bought it, sheesh :confused:

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Also, the Stoeger is not made by Beretta - it's made in Turkey. Not bad guns but not Beretta's either...

6. group17

group17 New Member

My understanding is all the Beretta equipment for making the Cougar was sent to Stoeger's Turkey plant from Italy. Beretta owns Stoeger so yes it is a Beretta IMO. Only without the Beretta name on it. Even the mags are made in Italy. If your going to sell me the same Beretta manufactured pistol for a couple hundred less because it doesn't have the Berretta name on it sign me up.

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Cadillac and Chevy are both built by GM, but a Chevy is not a Caddy. The name on the label is important and it's priced less for a reason. I've seen both Stoeger Cougars and Beretta Cougars and you can tell them apart instantly as the Beretta has a much superior "look" to it. Nothing wrong with the Stoeger but it's priced where it should be...

8. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

^^^ What he said. Even same brand and model when manufactured in different plants (countries) may not be the same quality.

9. CA357

10. group17

group17 New Member

Since I have shot both the original Beretta and the Stoeger version cougar I can tell you both guns shoot the same to me. They shoot so much the same I bought the Stoeger saved money and couldn't be happier with it.

What Chevy is the CLONE of the Caddy and comes off the same assembly line and equipment the Caddy is made on?

Be my guess and pay more for the Beretta.

11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

It really does not matter. The Chevy will ALWAYS be worth less than the Caddy and the Stoeger will ALWAYS be worth less than the Beretta. I guess the folks that pay over $2K for a 1911 are silly as well since a Rock Island is the same gun...:D

12. group17

group17 New Member

This tread was about a new version of Stoeger Cougar wasn't it?

13. CA357

Yes, it certainly started out that way and it may even get back to that at some point. Sometimes threads take on a life of their own. It's one of life's little quirks. ;)

14. 9mmgun

9mmgun New Member

You are either blind or being... "disingenuous" I have had both the Stoeger & the Beretta side by side. I've own two Stoeger Cougars the 8000 & the 8045. My brother owns the Beretta Cougar purchased 10 years ago. They were both disassembled by me personally, the ONLY difference between the two , and it is ever so slight is the black finish of the Beretta has a slightly higher gloss to it. The machine work, tolerances, barrel, mags and everything else is identical.

Every review done on the Stoeger says it's a Beretta with a A- finish instead of A+.

Show me ONE REVIEW that says differently.

It's exactly the same gun. Just look at it this way. You have two exact same
    size factory's, one in Italy that houses all the manufacturing machinery that produces their Cougar line of firearms, one in Turkey that's empty.

You then remove all the manufacturing machinery in the Italian factory & put it all in the Turkish factory.

You then transfer all the Italian Cougar supervisors to oversee the manufacturing machinery in the Turkish factory.

You then hire Turkish workers to work the factory at a faction of the cost of the Italian workers.

You are now able to Manufacture the Beretta line of Cougars at a faction of the cost & are able to sell them now at almost half the price. The only thing you have to change is the name Beretta to Stoeger, and Beretta owns Stoeger.

Those are the facts! The costs to Beretta are MUCH lower in Turkey. It's cost less to operate & run the factory, labor costs , electric costs, transporting cost are all much less in Turkey than they are in Italy.

What are you afraid of to make you spout such bullcrap? Again show me one example where it's been said that they are not THE SAME HANDGUN.

Thank you & may your God bless for the service & sacrifice you have made for our country

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  15. CA357

9mmgun, mind your manners and your tone.

16. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Believe what you want, buy what you want. I've been around here for a while and I don't spout crap. Taurus began building their PT92 clones on Beretta equipment as well and nobody claims a Taurus is a Beretta. Fact is that a Stoeger is a copy of a Beretta - it is not a Beretta which is why it costs less than $400 - simple fact.

BTW, I'm not blind or disingenuous either and I don't appreciate the insults. I didn't say anything that isn't fact.

17. orangello

orangello New Member

A conversation i had with a buddy who owns one of the Taurus PT92's came to my mind when i read that post discussing moving factory equipment to another country and so forth. A buddy was telling me how his Taurus was just like the Beretta except for the price & safety setup, but he couldn't explain why his cost so much less than the Beretta if it was the same gun. I mean, if they are the same, then why not up the price a lil bit closer to the Beretta price? Personally (call me a hater), i would rather have an Italian-built firearm than a comparable one built in Brazil (i know, i know; i'm hellbound). I think the Italians have a longer manufacturing tradition and better reputation; don't think they make any supercars in Brazil. Not hatin', i love the bananas, and those people have some spectacular ants. ;)

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-K9.asp
    You could go all Jodie Foster with one of these lil beauties.

18. 9mmgun

9mmgun New Member

It's not the same gun. Beretta SOLD the factory, machines & so forth to Taurus. Beretta did not sell the Cougar factory to Stoeger, Beretta owns Stoeger. Beretta not only moved the factory to Turkey, they also moved the engineers & supervisors to over see the operation to Turkey as well. Beretta still owns the factory, the machines and so forth which is a huge difference from a factory being sold to Taurus. I doubt that once Taurus took over ownership they let Beretta call the shots on how they were to produce their firearms.

19. 9mmgun

9mmgun New Member

see post #18.

Also please explain how the Stoeger is a clone. It's built in a Beretta owned Factory, on the same Beretta owned machines, supervised & engineered by Beretta Italians? Beretta runs the operation, not stoeger. Once again the only difference is that you now have Turkish labor (Cheaper), with cheaper factory operating costs such as electricity, transportation costs, taxes.

20. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

If anyone is interested: I have both the Taurus PT-92 and the Beretta 92FS, I can speak as to the differences.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Taurus CONS as compared to the Beretta: First the Taurus shows more tool marks, the mags are sharp and the rounds tip down once and a while. The chamber may be a little oversized as cases noticeably expand, the Beretta is more accurate, and it is VERY picky with hollow points

Taurus PROS as compared to the Beretta: The safety position, the weight, higher capacity with factory mags, lifetime warranty (beretta is a 3 year), the safety position, locked and cocked carry is possible, it comes with a steel guide rod not a plastic one (I replaced the one on my Beretta at my expense), and finally the safety position
    :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.