Looking for affordable AR-15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ShirtRIPPA, Nov 9, 2011.

1. ShirtRIPPA

ShirtRIPPA New Member

Greetings, I am looking into buying an AR but I dont want to spend an arm and a leg to get one, especially since this will be my first AR purchase, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a reliable yet affordable AR in the $800 ballpark. Looking to make it my range toy primarily/possible coyote slayer. I am also wanting to buy a complete rifle, as of yet I dont have a great knowledge of how to build one. Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  2. tomill

tomill New Member

Hello there, I am in the same boat and am considering the Stag. It is reasonably priced, and USA all the way. Others claim to be but these guys use and build everything right here in the states.

3. ShirtRIPPA

ShirtRIPPA New Member

Yeah I was told to check them out also, and Double Star. Looks like its time to do some more research!

4. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

A friend just got a Stag at a gun show a few months ago and loves it. I dunno if you can get one for $800 as his was around $900 new but it's a very good rifle.

5. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I'd search around and look for either a Spike's Tactical or a BCM. Both are in my opinion higher quality than a Stag, and can be had for around the same price.

A couple weeks ago I picked up a Spike's ST-15 Carbine for $882 out the door. You could probably find a slightly better deal online.

-Fred

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

+1 both are real good rifles.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I would seriously encourage both the OP and Poster 2 to consider building a lower and buying a known upper. More value for the dollar, better understanding of the platform and you will be much further along the knowledge curve when you start wanting to change out parts.

This forum has only had about 50 people come in with the same question as you folks and about 80% of them built as opposed to buying outright.

JD

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Couldn't agree more and I'll add that I can't remember even one new person who was sorry they built up a stripped lower, even if they had a little trouble along the way. It all works out well in the end especially with the help you get from people here. Start out by looking at JD's sticky on building a lower and you can look at the sticky with pictures of lower receivers to get an idea what's out there.

9. ShirtRIPPA

ShirtRIPPA New Member

Funny thing you should mention that Dillinger! I have been doing alot of research since my original post and my mind has been put to ease, the idea of building my own AR is very appealing to me now, and it doesn't look as hard as I thought it would be, and a heck of alot cheaper! Perhaps someone could take me under their wing and point me in the right direction? I'm going to need all the help I can get as far as what parts I need to get, what kind of permits or licensing I need to build my own rifle(s) if there are any in Idaho. I guess I should maybe just start another thread lol...

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

No permits or licenses required to build an AR (semiauto) in Idaho. You just have to fill out the standard federal firearm form when you buy the stripped lower. From that point on pretty much anything can be shipped to your front door. If you have the lower shipped, it will have to be sent to a FFL near you. They charge a transfer fee and you fill out the federal form in their shop then can walk out with your new "firearm". I think SawTac and Hawktech both charge about $25 for the transfer fee plus they have some lowers in stock starting around $100 up. You don't pay a transfer fee if you buy what is in stock.

11. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Read the build stickies, compile your own parts list then the knowledgeable folks here can guide you down the right path. You will be much more satisfied building your own and watching it shoot MOA than buying one, guaranteed!

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Not true in my experience unless you're using low quality parts. You really need to be careful when ordering parts. There are a lot of places making all sorts of "as good as" claims and are anything but.

In my experience especially w/ uppers there isn't a big enough price difference to negate having to purchase the proper tools needed to build to the same expertise as a company like Spikes or BCM which are in your price range. When you start looking at things such as the correct torque specs, staking and so on it's easier and costs similarly enough to not mess with it. I will admit I have completed a couple and it was a great feeling but probably won't do any more.

I'm actually starting to feel the same about lowers. Rainierarms sells a complete lower w/ IMOD stock and Timmney trigger for around $490 or $325 w/o Timmney trigger.

Edit: Here is a good kit well w/i the price range you stated in your OP.
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/8978.php

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I agree with MJ that it usually makes more sense to buy a complete upper, you save little to nothing even if you already have all the necessary tools. I've never built an upper but know I could, nothing that difficult - I just felt it made more sense to go with quality components to my spec and from there let a top notch factory assemble it for me. Now if you go with ultra cheap stuff you might save money on an upper build but I doubt it over PSA or Spikes.

Also I noticed that Jeff at Sawtac is now doing $10 transfers for members of the bosieshooters.com discussion board. Free to register so why not since you're in Boise.

14. ShirtRIPPA

ShirtRIPPA New Member

Oh that's great info, I will definitely check into that, thanks Quentin!

15. paul

paul New Member

Lower price AR

Do you folks have a Academy, saw a AR in there recently, didn't pay much attention other than it was in the $700's, 16", carry handles style, 30rd mag. You can get a nice AR these days for $800 less easy, try RGuns