Looking for advice an comparison on 3 pistol options

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by ErikH, Jan 7, 2013.

1. ErikH

ErikH New Member

I am stuck on 3 new handguns. I'm looking for objective opinions on all 3 and advice on which to pick.
    Options:
    Sig 2022 pro 40 cal
    Barretta px4 Storm
    S&W mp 40 or 9

2. john2005

john2005 New Member

I have a m&p 40 and love it man. Its really accurate and easly to clean

3. Renegade44

Renegade44 New Member

X2 Smith and Wesson m&p 40

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

if you plan on suppressor use at some point skip the px4 its rotating barrel lockup pretty much prevents it from happening

5. barnjoer

barnjoer New Member

They are all great guns, the bottom line is which one fits your hand & you can shoot with confidence.[​IMG]

6. niteglock

niteglock New Member

Another for m&p.

7. ErikH

ErikH New Member

Thanks for the input. So my plan is to teach my wife to shoot this gun also. Any of them too much kick for a 6 foot woman. She is not frail by any means.

8. Jtelli71

Jtelli71 New Member

Of the 3 you list I have the PX4 storm 9mm, inox. It's a shooter!
    I get a lot of range time with it and I bought it as a backup to my 92fs. I shoot the 92fs just fine but my wife thinks it's to big. She really likes the PX4 and shoots it well. You can't go wrong with the gun. I have had zero problems with mine.

9. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I own a .40 and several 9mm . have you ever shot a .40 ? Very snappy recoil and without a firm grip " limp wristing" it will stove pipe and jam up , non issues with the 9mm and ammo for the 9mm is alot cheaper especially if your buying bulk and shooting alot.
    But I say pick that one that fits your hand best , thats the one you will shoot best and have more confidence in

10. ErikH

ErikH New Member

More great info. I agree with just about all this far. I like some of the options with 9mm

11. ErikH

ErikH New Member

I decided to go with the px4 storm compact. Overall a nice smooth recoil and felt nice in my hand

12. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Cool, take some pics and post them. Then let us know how it shoots.

13. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Random Thoughts:

I've not shot the SP2022 (I shot a SIG Pro when it first came out), but I have shot the S&W M&P and Beretta PX4. I prefer the M&P.

I know this doesn't seem to matter to a lot of people, but the M&P is striker fired and eliminates problems associated with hammer fired weapons.

All of the pistols have accessory rails, which I like. I won't buy any pistol that's intended as a primary carry gun that doesn't have the ability to mount a SureFire X300.

If you plan to carry the pistol, I the M&P has more holster options than the SP2022 or PX4.

I had problems securely gripping the PX4's slide with sweaty hands, but the SIG Pro and M&P posed no problems. I like the grip ergonomics of the M&P best, but the grip on the other two is comfortable and, ahem, "grippy".

The PX4 has pretty smooth recoil. I was able to make pretty fast follow up shots with the 9MM version.

I would seriously consider 9MM over .40S&W. Modern cartridge technology can make a 9MM equivalent to a light .357 Magnum loading. The .40S&W recoil is pretty snappy, is more expensive to shoot than 9MM, .40S&W is less available than 9MM, and your magazines hold fewer rounds. If not of that dissuades you from the .40, then have fun with that cartridge. I've shot it in SIG and S&W pistols of varying sizes.

All that said, get the pistol that fits your hand and budget.

14. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

Of the 3 options listed I would personally choose the 2022. If you are worried about recoil AND this is a new shooter you should probably go with the 9mm.

My second choice would be the M&P. I think the Storm is alright, but I can name a whole slew of pistols that I'd rather have.

I also highly encourage you to check out the Ruger P95 or Ruger SR series. The SR series can be found in 9mm or .40 and are fairly low cost but quality options.

15. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

I was going to recommend Beretta PX4 but I would go with .45cal heres mine.
    [​IMG]