Firearms Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am stuck on 3 new handguns. I'm looking for objective opinions on all 3 and advice on which to pick.
Options:
Sig 2022 pro 40 cal
Barretta px4 Storm
S&W mp 40 or 9

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am stuck on 3 new handguns. I'm looking for objective opinions on all 3 and advice on which to pick.
Options:
Sig 2022 pro 40 cal
Barretta px4 Storm
S&W mp 40 or 9
I have a m&p 40 and love it man. Its really accurate and easly to clean

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
if you plan on suppressor use at some point skip the px4 its rotating barrel lockup pretty much prevents it from happening

·
Registered
55 Posts
They are all great guns, the bottom line is which one fits your hand & you can shoot with confidence.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. So my plan is to teach my wife to shoot this gun also. Any of them too much kick for a 6 foot woman. She is not frail by any means.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Of the 3 you list I have the PX4 storm 9mm, inox. It's a shooter!
I get a lot of range time with it and I bought it as a backup to my 92fs. I shoot the 92fs just fine but my wife thinks it's to big. She really likes the PX4 and shoots it well. You can't go wrong with the gun. I have had zero problems with mine.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I own a .40 and several 9mm . have you ever shot a .40 ? Very snappy recoil and without a firm grip " limp wristing" it will stove pipe and jam up , non issues with the 9mm and ammo for the 9mm is alot cheaper especially if your buying bulk and shooting alot.
But I say pick that one that fits your hand best , thats the one you will shoot best and have more confidence in

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More great info. I agree with just about all this far. I like some of the options with 9mm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I decided to go with the px4 storm compact. Overall a nice smooth recoil and felt nice in my hand

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Cool, take some pics and post them. Then let us know how it shoots.

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
Random Thoughts:

I've not shot the SP2022 (I shot a SIG Pro when it first came out), but I have shot the S&W M&P and Beretta PX4. I prefer the M&P.

I know this doesn't seem to matter to a lot of people, but the M&P is striker fired and eliminates problems associated with hammer fired weapons.

All of the pistols have accessory rails, which I like. I won't buy any pistol that's intended as a primary carry gun that doesn't have the ability to mount a SureFire X300.

If you plan to carry the pistol, I the M&P has more holster options than the SP2022 or PX4.

I had problems securely gripping the PX4's slide with sweaty hands, but the SIG Pro and M&P posed no problems. I like the grip ergonomics of the M&P best, but the grip on the other two is comfortable and, ahem, "grippy".

The PX4 has pretty smooth recoil. I was able to make pretty fast follow up shots with the 9MM version.

I would seriously consider 9MM over .40S&W. Modern cartridge technology can make a 9MM equivalent to a light .357 Magnum loading. The .40S&W recoil is pretty snappy, is more expensive to shoot than 9MM, .40S&W is less available than 9MM, and your magazines hold fewer rounds. If not of that dissuades you from the .40, then have fun with that cartridge. I've shot it in SIG and S&W pistols of varying sizes.

All that said, get the pistol that fits your hand and budget.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Of the 3 options listed I would personally choose the 2022. If you are worried about recoil AND this is a new shooter you should probably go with the 9mm.

My second choice would be the M&P. I think the Storm is alright, but I can name a whole slew of pistols that I'd rather have.

I also highly encourage you to check out the Ruger P95 or Ruger SR series. The SR series can be found in 9mm or .40 and are fairly low cost but quality options.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I was going to recommend Beretta PX4 but I would go with .45cal heres mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts