looking for a tactical/hunting combo

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by ndtiger, Nov 25, 2010.

1. ndtiger

ndtiger New Member

Looking for a new scope for my Remington MOdel 700 .308 sundaro. I have a leaupold 3 X 9 X 50 mm on it now. I use this rifle occasionally for deer hunting but would like to put on a scope for longer ranges, windage adjustments, distance adjustments, etc. My price range is no more the $600.....what are your opinions?

Thanks a lot

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

what sort of distance are you looking at?? varmint target competition or just punching paper at long distance??

3. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

4. ndtiger

ndtiger New Member

want something that would be useful in a SHTF scenario for a sniper rifle......1000 yds. ?

5. ndtiger

ndtiger New Member

6. AusLach

AusLach New Member

From what I understand, the objective lens size makes no diffference in zoom, but determines the amount of light that is let into the scope and transmitted to the eye. In normal daylight conditions the step up from 44 to 50mm will probably not make any discernible difference. In low-light conditions like early morning or late evening the extra objective bell diameter will probably help, especially at longer ranges.

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

8. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Pretty much what AusLach said. Bigger objective, more light, and a tad better resolution at longer distances. I have a 56mm objective on one of my scopes; Very crisp / clear image, however, a bit of a strain on the eye in bright light conditions after a couple of hours of keeping your eye in the scope. Dark glasses help with the eye strain and don't seem to effect the image resolution.

I think a 44mm objective would be fine.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010