Looking for a small semi auto to carry... Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Jkl-28, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Jkl-28

Jkl-28 New Member

So I am looking to buy a new pistol to carry.
    I already have a small revolver (ruger LCR) and a couple semi autos (glock 27 & 19) I have other large frame semi autos but they are too big or heavy to carry comfortably I was thinking of maybe getting a small .380 or 9mm something small n light enough to carry during the summer time when I'm wearing like a t-shirt n shorts and can still be concealed,

I had a kel-tec .380 but did not like it, I had tons of problems with it so I finally sold it! I liked the size of it but that's about it.
    I have heard great things about the ruger LCP but have not shot one yet
    Also a friend was telling menu should check out the diamondback .380 but have t heard much about them either, and I was also thinking about getting a bersa .380 or a smith n wesson guardian or maybe an old surplus makarov
    Also theres Taurus I haven't heard much about they're 380s... Any advise?

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I have the Kahr CM9 and highly recommend it especially for summer/spring carry.

3. kwolfe

kwolfe New Member

Out of all the ones you mentioned the only two that iv shot were the lcp and the Bersa. Of those two I liked the Bersa alot more. I have bigger hands and the lcp was way to small and the slide kept catching my hand. The Bersa is still a smaller gun but for the price and quality it had, that would be my choice

4. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Check into the Diamondback closely. A bit pricey and it's had some problems.
    Bersa Thunder .380s are pretty good and affordable. :)

Oh, and Colt has reissued the Mustang if you like sa.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a Sig 238 .380. A whole different world than the P3AT and LCP. It is a pleasure to shoot. Copy of the Colt Mustang.

6. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Ruger LCP, Kahr 9MM, Walther PPS.

7. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

My backup is a Ruger LCP 380. Dependable, compact, lightweight,
    I hardly notice I have it on me even when I have tee shirt and shorts
    on. The shooting is accurate. No complaints with this lil' guy.
    :)

[ame=http://youtu.be/McLEiRJbjpY]Ruger LCP .380 - YouTube[/ame]

8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I really like the looks and feel of Kahr CM9 , just checked one out but dont own one , but I have the Ruger LC9 which is about the same size as the CM9 just a 1/2" longer in the grip and I believe this is because its a 7+1 and the CM9 is a 6+1
    either one is perfect for what your looking for
    The DA trigger on the LC9 is a little different than what I was used to but after about 3 magazines you wont notice it anymore . Im guessing that its DA is basically the same as the LCR . great little carry gun :D

9. nccinstaller

nccinstaller New Member

I have a ruger lcp and a kahr cw9 i carry the kahr wayyy more. It feels better in my hand has one more round and a bigger calibur and not much bigger at all. The ruger and kahr are both very reliable i just find the cw9 to be better suited for my hands when shooting so i feel more comfortable with it

10. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

I've found that I can't hold the micro guns worth a damn. A Colt .380 or Sig 238 is about as small as I can confidently carry.
    The micro gun grips are just too to thin to get a decent controlled hold on.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

i really like the bersa thunders. there is even a 15+1 version!! they are very accurate very easy and comfortable to shoot. i like them a lot better than the walther ppk they copy.

here is my thunder plus its the 15+1. grips are soft rubber, they feel like the stuff pachmyr uses.

[​IMG]

rapid fire

[​IMG]

12. Jkl-28

Jkl-28 New Member

Thanks for all the advice guys I've been doing some research and I'm looking at some of the suggestions and I'm really liking the bersa thunder 380 and the dimondback....

13. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I carry a S&W Bodyguard 380. I can't say that the laser control is the best, but the sites are very good. More accurately, because you change out the sites, it's very good. There are not many 380's that allow you to do that.

14. jd-tex

jd-tex New Member

My makarov is one of my favorite guns. Extremely dependable and accurate, but its heavy and only holds 8 rounds, so not my go to gun.
    I carry a keltec P11 daily. I'm not usually a big fan of the small guns but the double stack gives it a nice fat grip and it disappears iwb. But, I too had a lot of problems out of the box with it. Problems loading, cycling, and forget about using hollow points. Luckily I have a friend who's dad is a retired gunsmith. So I let him take a look before I traded it off. He said keltecs are some of the roughest machined guns he has ever seen. But after he got done smoothing everything out and going over the trigger it is a really nice piece.