Looking for a small auto.

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by RetiredLEO, Sep 13, 2010.

1. RetiredLEO

RetiredLEO New Member

I have been look for a small auto pistol. Perferably one as small as my Taurus PT-22. I love the size of this gun, but a 22 is a poor self-defense round and the weapon is not reliable at all. I can't go for twenty rounds before a jam. I already have a S&W m36 that a often carry but I really want a small auto.

The problem is that I am retired from the NYPD because I was shot in the hand and I have had reconstructive surgerys to repair my hand. This has made racking a slide difficult and painful. I tried my friend's Kel-tec .380 and the recoil is stout for such a small gun and for a smaller caliber than my .38 special. So I started looking at .32 acp models. I looked at the Beretta Tomcat because with tip-up pistols I don't have to manipulate the slide. My son, however, said that it may have the same problems as my Taurus because of the similar design (no extractor).

He suggested a walther ppk in 380 or .32 acp, or the walther pk-380. I think that is still too large though.

Does anyone have any better suggestions?

I really want it to be small and low recoil. I know that those two groups can be exclusive categories but it is still what I am looking for, sorry for being difficult, :).

2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

As I read your post, my thoughts turned to the Beretta Tomcat .32, as well.

But have you put some practice into one handed failure drills? These allow you to rack the slide without using two hands.

3. FT360

FT360 New Member

This is kind of unorthodox but in your situation (Having difficulty running the slide, and not being able to tolerate recoil) I’d go with an old 5 shot .38 S&W top-break revolver.

Before the .380 craze of today there was the .38 S&W craze of the late 1800s- early 1900s.

There were hundreds of different little pocket revolvers chambered for .38 S&W, manufactured by various companies.

The .38 S&W is less powerful than .380 ACP, but more powerful than 32 ACP.

link to article about .38 S&W

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

You need to really look at the Sig 238. The 238 is a locked breech design with much less felt recoil. I've shot my 238 in the same session as my PPK and the difference is amazing. I've shot lot's of pocket guns and this one is by far the most comfortable to shoot...

[​IMG]

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Have you considered the Ruger .327? Or the .32 Magnum? Ruger, S&W, and a couple of others make revolvers for that caliber.
    Good Luck.

6. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

The Ruger LCPs are gaining popularity as a CC with the LEOs in this area. If racking the slides a problem the Ruger LCR is also a great hammerless revolver with an exceptional trigger.

7. ET1

ET1 New Member

Here's another vote for a small revolver. If you have any trouble racking the slide on a semi, then you are asking for trouble. In a PD situation you must have the ability to repeatedly rack the slide quickly to clear the weapon in case of a failure. It's the second option you go to when you hear a click or worse yet, nothing, when you pull the trigger, (ie. tap, rack, fire...nothing happens, so you drop the mag & rack the slide several times quickly to clear the chamber, reinsert the mag, rack the slide again & fire). If you can't do this really fast then you need a revolver instead. Your life may depend on it.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

weight helps felt recoil. you might want to consider an all steel handgun.

9. RetiredLEO

RetiredLEO New Member

I don't want to get another revolver only because I can just carry my S&W m36 if I want to carry a revolver.

I do like the look of that Sig 238. Is the slide easy to rack on this model?

10. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

The slide should be easier than a Kel-tec for example because: The SIG has a single action hammer. If you cock the hammer prior to using the slide than it would be a lighter pull than the kel-tec. With the kel-tec you fight the recoil spring and the hammer, and with the SIG the hammer is already cocked.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  11. steve666

steve666 New Member

12. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

Ive had a Kel-tec p32 for years and it has been a reliable last resort piece for me... Way faster followup shots then my lcp.

13. RetiredLEO

RetiredLEO New Member

I think it is between the Kel-tec 32 acp or the SIG 238. I looked at the two of them at the local store and I can move the slide of both of them.

I have to find a shop that has them to rent, you know to give them a shot, :p.

14. theicemanmpls

theicemanmpls New Member

Thank you for your service, and sacrifice.

I have shot the PPK. IMO it is a little beast. The one I borrowed chewed up the web of my gun hand. Well, the PPK, looks cool, and James Bond carries one.

If you are having issues with pulling a slide back, I may suggest using auto's for range time only.

Personally, one of my carry firearms is a S&W 442, in .38. I have discovered the 100 g wad, or semi wad cutter reloads. I can fire five very accurate rounds with minimal recoil.

My loads crony at 800 fps and do a number on a gallon water jug.

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Two words, Smart Car;

[​IMG]

Or should you like something a little more sporty;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. gatopardo

gatopardo New Member

Go with 9mm PF9

Can't go wrong with a parabellum round in athin gun like the Keltec PF9 :
    [​IMG]

Here with glow-on enhanced sights:
    [​IMG]

17. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Dude, you are hilarious! Keep em coming!

18. gatopardo

gatopardo New Member

here's another

Thanks M14sRock, happy to oblige:
    This is a view from behind the same keltec, by the way at the request of some guys from this forum, we are working on bright yellow and orange, we'll post result:cool:s
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  19. Uncle Tom

Uncle Tom New Member

small auto

You should include the Kahr P380 in your search -- there have been some very positive reviews of this gun including a statement about its low recoil. Kahrs are on the high-quality/high-price side of the market -- the P380 would be a good comparison against the Sig. Thank you for your service!

20. RetiredLEO

RetiredLEO New Member

Didn't think of that one. I am going to try and find a range that has the Sig p238, the Kahr P380, and the Kel-tec 32 acp and see which one feels best.

Thanks for the help, :)