Looking for a project.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Beastazz, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Beastazz

Beastazz New Member

I enjoy building guns and I was wondering if I could build a decent AR-15 for under $500. I have never owned one so it will be a first.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

2. Scratch

Scratch New Member

I'm not sure if you can come in under the 500 dollar mark. I build my first one trying to go as cheap as humanly possible and still was at about 550 I think. I got a 49.00 lower and a free rear stock/buffer tube too.

I know Palmetto has their 49.00 lower sale every once in a while, and you can get a 50.00 lower parts kit pretty easily, then should be able to find an upper for maybe 350-400 from PSA, or JSE or maybe Del-Ton and you might get close, although shipping and transfer fees could put you over...

Sometimes, it seems like complete rifles are pretty cheap though. Also check out the "custom 223" section of JSE's website, I've found some good deals there before on uppers they build from various parts.

Good luck though.

3. Beastazz

Beastazz New Member

Thanks a bunch. I am gonna have to decide on building an AR or Customizing an SKS. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

4. Scratch

Scratch New Member

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I'm sure you could assemble an AR for $500 but it's not going to be quality and in my opinion I wouldn't even classify it as decent.

Do you have access to $150 or so extra? If so you can get much closer to the "decent" you're looking for.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree, with mj here, as far as $500 possible, but what will the quality be like. maybe if you scored some good parts used and shopped around you might, (keyword, might) build a decent one for $500. i would like mj said, $150-200 more would be much closer.

7. triggernomic

triggernomic New Member

You might be able to squeeze out most of the major parts like a stripped upper, stripped lower, bolt carrier, barrel for about $500 with cheaper parts, like the DPMS stuff. Never tried DPMS first hand, but some people I know have had problems with machining being slightly out of spec. Check out Cheaper Than Dirt. They have a wide selection of AR parts in one place, cheap and expensive, with user feedback on parts quality.

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Odds are $500 will get you half of a decent AR. You might cobble something together for $500 but I'd aim a little higher.

On the other hand I wouldn't be in a hurry to put $500 in an SKS. There's got to be a better middle ground!

9. triggernomic

triggernomic New Member

Not to mention the removable hi-cap mags for the SKS aren't as reliable as the integrated mag. Never got mine to work good.

10. jwsturr

jwsturr New Member

I just bought a $49 lower from Palmetto State Armory. Since then they've gone back up to $79. They have M4 rifle kit for $469 with a 4150 barrel. Not sure of the quality yet, I'll be ordering one after the new year. Not including shipping and transfer for the lower that's pretty close to the OP's budget. Unless you get some quality used parts, $500 out-the-door will be pretty difficult.

11. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

As has been stated, $500 is going to be tough to achieve. $650 is possible, but that is with iron sights only and no mag's. or ammunition to shoot in it.

Tool costs for your project are also a consideration if you're not well equipped with them already.

I put together a mid-range cost AR very recently using an Armalite stripped lower obtained at my LGS, with the rest being Rock River parts ordered on-line and it came to $815 for the basic functioning AR with iron sights and one 30-rnd mag. The cost shown here doesn't inlude tools either, you'll need to add about another $50-100 for specialty AR tools depending on whether you're going to assemble your upper & lower yourself or not. Buying a factory assembled upper is easier and requires less tools.

Good luck on your project and keep us in the loop! :cool: