Looking for a Pocket carry Pistol??

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by FL-panhandle, Jun 2, 2013.

1. FL-panhandle

FL-panhandle New Member

It's summer here in Florida and I live in shorts and t-shirts. I currently have a M&P shield 40 cal with IWB holster but in shorts this is a little uncomfortable. I'm thinking about getting a pocket pistol, what are my options? Do I have to go with .380?

2. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Sccy makes a small 9mm. Check that out.

3. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

No you're definitely not stuck with a 380. Kahr makes some very good pocket pistols in 9,40&45.Ruger also makes the lc9.Beretta makes one called the nano.I'm sure just about every manufacturer out there has at least one pocket pistol larger than 380..

4. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Pocket carry

This is my spring/summer/wearing shorts weather carry;
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0zWnDdvfZA[/ame]
    The Radom P64... You can usually find one for around $200-$300 if you look around.

5. FL-panhandle

FL-panhandle New Member

Thanks for the infoso far guys. I like that berretta nano and I like that p64 video. My LGS has a 2 month layaway plan, I might go with the nano. Do y'all know if its striker fired??

6. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

It is. The Sig Sauer P938 is a miniature 1911 9mm.

7. FL-panhandle

FL-panhandle New Member

Thanks. McCool

8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I have or had for pocket carry a Taurus 380 tcp when minimal is needed, daily pocket pistol is a kahr cm9 and had a pf-9. Maybe the latest db9 or one of the other micro 380's out there too. All depend on your pockets.

9. ALfiremedic1

ALfiremedic1 New Member

I have a Bodyguard 380 that I carry sometimes when I wear shorts. I carry it in a IWB holster that I made. Not a big pocket carry fan. It just prints in my pocket more then I would like

10. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Many of the ones listed are about the same size as your shield. Can you pocket carry your sheild?

11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Not even close to the same size. A cm9 is a 1/2 soter in lenght and height and lighter. Other are smaller still. I have pocket carried for 20 years only and 6 more part time and my cw9 is a little smaller than a shield and is NOT a pocket gun unless your pocket are cargo type.

12. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

for a true pocket gun you going to need to go small and small cal 32 or 380 I carry the keltec p32 supper light and slips into any pocket rember any gun is better then the lead bar 1911 in the glove compartment

the keltec top right next to a j frame smith and Wesson chief special
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

I have a Ruger LC9 (9mm) that I'm really warming up to. I bought for carry purposes not an everyday shooter. It has a long trigger pull, I'm told, by design, so it would be unlikely you'd fire it in a moment of excitement. I stay current with it, and I hope I never have to use it to protect the lives of myself or my family.

IMO, unoticeable as a pocket carry.

14. FL-panhandle

FL-panhandle New Member

Thanks guys. Yeah my shield is a little bulky for pocket carry. I've considered a Kel Tec as well but I've read some bad reviews on them. I agree any gun is better than no gun at all.

I love my shield. It fits my small hand perfect and like the trigger pull on it. When I wear pants I have a IWB holster but I don't wear it with shorts.

Maybe that slim Kel Tec 9 mm is the way to go??

15. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I have a Kahr PM9 and a Smith & Wesson BG 380. I carry them both in my pocket. The BG 380 will fit in any pants pockets. The Kahr won't fit well in tight pockets, but I wear cargo shorts most of the time so it's not an issue for me.

So no, you do not have to go 380.

16. nicklarimore

nicklarimore New Member

I'd go with a smith and Wesson j frame in 38sp +p small enough for the pocket with about the same stats as a 9mm

17. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Great little shooters for their size. I just got one and have been very impressed. I don't think they are a mini 1911 but still a fantastic pistol.

18. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Get the Kahr CM9 or CM40, can't go wrong. The P380 is tiny too. If you can do 32acp look at the Beretta Tomcat 3032, perfect for pocket concealed.

19. ALfiremedic1

ALfiremedic1 New Member

I would stay away from Kahr's 40 pocket pistols. I had a CW40 and due to the larger caliber and lite polymer frame, I had 2 recoil springs bend and render the gun unusable. Had to send it in twice to have it fixed. I bought a shield 40 after that. If it were me, I would get a bodyguard 380 or go with a sig 238, or 938. Just me...