Looking for a perfect fit.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by NymphoGnome, Feb 14, 2010.

1. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

Hi, I am new here so I am not sure if I should start here with this question. I am looking for something that I can use more at the shooting range and not worry too much about ammo prices. However, I would also like to know this could be used as a home defense weapon. I am not sure if this would be a rifle, handgun or shotgun, I am open to any.

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

.22LR....Cheap ammo, can be a defensive weapon but not advised for a new shooter but makes a great starting target pistol.

For self defense, get a 12 GA shotgun.

3. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

Is there any reason in particular the .22LR isn't advised for a new shooter?

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It's not recommended for personal/home defense.

It is THE best caliber for a new shooter in pistol, revolver or rifle. [​IMG]

5. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

Sorry read into that wrong, but I can see (or assume) that you would need to be a great shot to successfully take care of an home invasion with a .22.

So now that has been answered, many thanks. Are there any recommendations? I have been looking at the Heritage Rough Rider .22LR and Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR.

6. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Heritage Rough Rider is cheapo pot metal crap.

Any Ruger or Browning 22 would be a good start.

7. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

Thank you, so if i were to go with a rifle semi or bolt?

8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

+1 on the Ruger MkIII or Browning Buckmark pistols. On rifles,depends on what you like the best.There are some great shooting bolt guns,and semi-autos.But the bolt actions are considered more accurate shooters. Depending on how much you want to spend some great rimfire rifles are CZ-USA,Savage,Browning,Marlin,Ruger

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

What is your budget for this firearm? Do you have any experience at all?

Do you live in an apartment or a house? If you live in an apartment, overpenetration is a bigger factor than in a detached house. Although it's still a factor in a house.

Do you have small hands or large hands? Are you big or small?

All of these things should factor into your decision.

A rifle for home defense in most cases has to much power and will penetrate walls. A shotgun is an excellent home and self defense weapon and can be had reasonably.

Handguns work well too, but demand a proficiency that takes time to acquire.

If you can give us more information, we'll be able to help you better.

10. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

Budget is under $300, I am a college student still at home (house), my dad has a .357 S&W and he has his CWP. Our neighborhood is safe, very safe so home defense isn't the big issue. My theory is no body is going to stick around to the sound of a gun, and a hole in the ceiling is easier to patch up, than a whole in a person. So with that said its definitely more for the range than home defense.
    The first gun i have ever shot was a .9 mm, my first few shots made the paper the last few weren't so lucky. I will snoop around in the Ruger and Browning area for a comfortable fit. My hands are medium sized.
    Kudos on the avatar.

11. CA357

If you want to become a proficient pistol shooter, you can't go wrong with a Ruger Mark III pistol. Check out the Browning Buckmark as well, as it seems to be pretty popular.

For a rifle, the Ruger 10/22 is a great one and you can trick it out as much as you want. The Savage model 60 and the Marlin 795 are also popular and worth a look.

The nice thing about all of these is that .22 LR is still pretty cheap, so you can become quite a marksman without breaking the bank.

You'll probably want to branch out into other calibers eventually and by then you will have a wealth more knowledge and skill.

Good luck with your quest and thanks for the avatar props. ;)

12. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

If you want an inexpensive pistol you could always go with a Ruger Single Six. It's a single action revolver so the shooting isn't real fast. One plus is that you can change the cylinder and shoot 22 magnums as well. My dad has one, great shooter.

13. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

Okay so I believe I have my mind set on a rifle. I will be getting it at more than likely Academy sports and outdoors.

So I am looking at the Marlin 759 or the Savage 64, and take a look if they have the Ruger 10/22.

Then I'll need to look for a relatively inexpensive Scope, and that is all I believe I'll need for the rifle itself. I guess the Bushnell Sharpshooter
    3-9X40, since its $34.99

Now an Ammo question, how is the Winchester Super X and The Remington Yellow jacket?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  14. CA357

Okay then, a rifle it is. You can't go wrong with any of those choices. Good luck and keep us informed.

15. jbshoots

jbshoots New Member

marlin, savage, and ruger all make good .22 rifles. and the 35 dollar bushnell scope will be fine. rimfire scopes don't take much abuse from recoil so any cheapo that is not defective (can hold it's zero) will do, but i've heard bushnell makes a pretty good rimfire scope.

as for ammo:

if you get a bolt action it should shoot any .22lr without feed problems, you just find the one that groups best in your gun.

for auto loaders you have to find which ones feed the best for your gun. not all feed perfectly and some guns are "picky".

for both types i would just get a small box of 4 or 5 of the most common brands in your area and test your gun out. when you find the one that feeds/shoots best, stock up on that particular brand.

16. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Marlin model 60. better value than a Ruger 10/22, and there arent many accessories to ghey it up.

And whatever bulk box of amo thats under $17.

17. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

the 10/22 is a great rifle with a lot of aftermarket parts available. I have a marlin 795 and while it's a no frills rifle, it's a great shooter and I'm very happy with it.

18. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

You have not looked in the last 8 months. Even the real cheapo bulk is $23.00

19. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

I'm not too keen on accessories, but you mentioned the model 60 and looking at the 795, how big of a difference do the two have?

20. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

If your looking for cool check-out the Beretta CX 4 Strom in 9mm. 9mm ammo is probably the least expensive for center fire handgun cartridges and this firearm can be use indoors and outdoors on most gun ranges.