Firearms Talk banner

looking for a new xd or xdm

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  billdeserthills 
#1 ·
hello this is the first time I have posted here and I would appreciate any advice or information. I am looking for a new carry/range gun and I am wondering about the xd tactical in .45 but that new xdm looks very nice. What would everyone suggest.

#2 ·
Hi Don,

There are a lot of .45 caliber auto-loaders to choose from. A Springfield XD is a good choice. But I highly recommend you go handle several .45's and see what fits you best. For a Carry gun, you'll want it as compact as possible. I carry a Ruger P345 and it's roughly the size of an XD and a Glock. It is a little cumbersome to conceal. There is no shortage of 1911's out there too, you really ought to consider looking at them as well.

I also carry a CZ75B on occasion, and I just love that gun. It's a 40 caliber though.

GOOD LUCK!

#3 ·
Welcome Don -

I would agree with Mark, you need to go and handle, or rent and shoot if your range allows it, several models. Everyone's hand is different.

As for the XD, there are those that love them, and they REALLY love them, then there are the rest of us. :rolleyes:

The XD is a good model. Springfield markets the hell out of it, and they move them. People definitely are buying them, so there is a market out there. They recently added a frame mounted safety on them that I feel was a great move on their part.

.45 is a good round, I personally like it the best in my Carry weapons, but there are arguments against it as well. Are you familiar with the round and have you shot it before?

I am quite sure the other members will be along shortly with any number of suggestions for you to check out. You might want to throw out a budget number and what your ultimate, end goal is. That will help narrow the field down a bit.

Welcome again, hope you enjoy your time here...

JD

#4 ·
Thanks I plan to go and rent and shoot the xd.45 this weekend. I currently have a Colt 1911 series 70 ( a wedding gift from my wifes grandfather) I really like the round but I dont know very much at all about the .40 . I dont think I will have an xdm to examine right now and was just wondering if anyone has one or has handled them both. and could give an opinion. Right now I dont think I can go more than about $650. Thank you again for the help I am enjoying reading

#5 ·
Thanks I plan to go and rent and shoot the xd.45 this weekend. I currently have a Colt 1911 series 70 ( a wedding gift from my wifes grandfather) I really like the round but I dont know very much at all about the .40 . I dont think I will have an xdm to examine right now and was just wondering if anyone has one or has handled them both. and could give an opinion. Right now I dont think I can go more than about $650. Thank you again for the help I am enjoying reading
Anything that starts with a ".4" will serve you well. IE: 40 S&W, 45ACP, 45 Colt, 44 Special, 44 Magnum, etc... I have all of them. for personal defence the 40 & 45ACP will do the job nicely. The 44's are great for hunting... and Home Defence. But nothing beats a long gun for the home!

I also carry a .357 Magnum. Supreme knockdown!

#6 ·
I've bought a XD Compact .45 a couple weeks ago and absolutely love it. It is pretty easy to conceal even wearing a t-shirt and shorts. I tried a few different pistols before I decided on the XD. One of the others that I tried was a Glock 22 .40. Just coming from personal experience, even though the recoil was less with the .40 the .45 was easier to handle. The recoil from the .40 is a lot faster, so second shots were tougher to acquire. The .45 bucks, but it is more of a roll.

#7 ·
There you go Don, a happy XD customer. But like JD said, you'll love it or you won't. My P345 "feels" better in my hand as compared to an XD, but that's me. You just have to try each one out...

#8 ·
I have to agree with Mark - The Glock, and the XD biproxy, are a polarizing weapon. The people that love them, LOVE THEM, and swear by them. The people that don't like them, pretty much loathe time... LOL

Once you go and shoot it, along with a few other models, you will find what fits your hand and what feels right to you. Once you have that, you can narrow the field.

One thing I would recommend is shopping the choice around the forum because some of the members here have been prone to pull a comparison model out that they like, and why, that has made some good chocies for folks.

Keep us posted on your own pistol tryouts and what you end up with!

JD

#9 ·
I guess I'm a weirdo. I have nothing negative to say about Glocks. As a matter of fact, I really like them. I'm pretty sure that a .45 Glock would have had the same feel to the recoil, since all of the other .45's that I have shot had the same roll that I'm talking about. My only experience with them is with 9mm and .40, so I can't say for sure.

#10 ·
I guess I'm a weirdo. I have nothing negative to say about Glocks. As a matter of fact, I really like them. I'm pretty sure that a .45 Glock would have had the same feel to the recoil, since all of the other .45's that I have shot had the same roll that I'm talking about. My only experience with them is with 9mm and .40, so I can't say for sure.
I'm with you guy, there are so many different guns out there, and somewhere there is a person that will love that odd or different one. I just try to stock and sell as many as I can.

#11 · (Edited)
Yes sir, there's a boat load of auto-loaders available, and the odds that you won't find one you like is pretty remote. Glocks are great guns, but they are uncomfortable to ME. That's not to say it won't work for you, though. The same thing for XD's, they have a "feel" I just don't care for. Just on a whim, I tried a Ruger P345, and I liked it enough to buy it. I would have never thought of testing a Ruger Polymer frame. Normally, I don't like polymer pistols too much! But this one has a really good feel to it. The point is, it's up to you to try them all out and find the one that fits you like a glove. But don't confine yourself to one BRAND, or to one CALIBER! Start with your favorite Brand of gun maker and maybe a .45 cal. but look at them ALL before you buy. If you can actually shoot some of them would be a BIG PLUS.

Don, asking someone else for their opinion(s) on a handgun that you'll use is not gospel by any means. And, you should take what you hear or read under advisement. The only valid opinion is the one you get from testing them out for yourself...

Good Luck Buddy!

#12 ·
Yes sir, there's a boat load of auto-loaders available, and the odds that you won't find one you like is pretty remote. Glocks are great guns, but they are uncomfortable to ME. That's not to say it won't work for you, though. The same thing for XD's, they have a "feel" I just don't care for. Just on a whim, I tried a Ruger P345, and I liked it enough to buy it. I would have never thought of testing a Ruger Polymer frame. Normally, I don't like polymer pistols too much! But this one has a really good feel to it. The point is, it's up to you to try them all out and find the one that fits you like a glove. But don't confine yourself to one BRAND, or to one CALIBER! Start with your favorite Brand of gun maker and maybe a .45 cal. but look at them ALL before you buy. If you can actually shoot some of them would be a BIG PLUS.

Don, asking someone else for their opinion(s) on a handgun that you'll use is not gospel by any means. And, you should take what you hear or read under advisement. The only valid opinion is the one you get from testing them out for yourself...

Good Luck Buddy!
Good Advice, don't forget to start saving up for all those gun safes too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.